||This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Indie rock, lo-fi, garage rock, surf pop|
|Labels||Mexican Summer, Wichita, Post Present Medium, Group Tightener, Art Fag Recordings, Black Iris, Blackest Rainbow|
|Associated acts||Pocahaunted, Vivian Girls, Wavves|
Best Coast is an American surf band from Los Angeles, California, formed in 2009. The band consists of duo Bethany Cosentino (born Bethany Sharayah Cosentino, November 3, 1986) and Bobb Bruno, with several drummers having joined the band for live performances, most notably Vivian Girls drummer Ali Koehler.
Best Coast began with Bethany Cosentino and Bobb Bruno meeting through shows around Los Angeles in 2009. Consentino, a former child actress, began writing songs in her teens and eventually developed enough of a following through her Myspace page to receive attention from major labels. Though the attention was well received, she was uninterested in becoming a "Pop princess" and moved to New York to go to school. In 2009, she moved back to Los Angeles which point she started working with Bruno on Best Coast's first demos.
The band is recognizable for their fuzzy, low-fidelity sound in the vein of surf rock.
The band is signed to the labels Mexican Summer (US) and Wichita Records (Europe), who released their debut album Crazy for You in July 2010. Prior to this the band released a number of 7" singles on smaller independent labels, including Make You Mine on Group Tightener and Something in the Way on Dean Allen Spunt's (of No Age) Post Present Medium label. The band made a decision not to include material from these releases on their debut album.
In April 2010, Best Coast released a music video for their single, "When I'm with You".
On August 2, 2011, the band released the music video for their single "Our Deal", directed by Drew Barrymore and featuring Chloë Grace Moretz, Miranda Cosgrove, Tyler Posey, Donald Glover, Shailene Woodley and Alia Shawkat.
On October 18, 2011, "When I'm With You" was a featured track in the Rocksmith video game series.
In an interview with coupdemainmagazine, they were quoted saying that their new album is different to their debut Crazy for You because their "song writing style was pretty different" and they are now recording in "a much more professional studio". The resulting album The Only Place was released in 2012.
Studio albums 
Live albums 
- iTunes Session (2011, Mexican Summer and iTunes)
- Where the Boys Are (2009, CD/cassette, Blackest Rainbow; two officially released covers)
- "Sun Was High (So Was I)" (2009, Art Fag)
- "When I'm with You" (2009, Black Iris)
- "Make You Mine" (2009, Group Tightener)
- "Something in the Way" (2010, Post Present Medium)
- "Far Away" (2010, no label; includes enhanced content of the "When I'm with You" music video)
- "Fear of My Identity" (2013, Clarks Originals)
Split 7"s 
- Best Coast w/ "Up All Night" and Jeans Wilder w/ "Tough Guy" (2010, Atelier Ciseaux)
- Best Coast w/ "Sunny Adventure" and JEFF the Brotherhood w/ "Bummer" (2011, Volcom and Infinity Cat)
- Best Coast w/ "When You Wake Up" and Wavves w/ "Stained Glass (Won't You Let Me into Yr Heart)" on the Summer Is Forever split 7", sold on their Summer Is Forever Tour (2011, Mexican Summer)
Featured appearances 
- Rolling Blackouts by The Go! Team (2011, Memphis Industries) (Bethany Cosentino only, on tracks "Buy Nothing Day" and "Rolling Blackouts")
- Radiosurgery by New Found Glory (2011, Epitaph Records) (Bethany Cosentino only, on the track "Caught in the Act")
- California Births, 1905 - 1995, Bethany Cosentino
- Maerz, Melissa (2010-05-28). "Breaking Out: Best Coast | SPIN | Newswire". SPIN. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- Paul Lester (2009-11-26). "New band of the day – No 677: Best Coast | Music | guardian.co.uk". London: Guardian. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- "Best Coast Talks Debut Album | News". Pitchfork. 2010-02-22. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- "Best Coast Discography at Discogs". Discogs.com. 2010-01-19. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- ""When I'm With You" | Forkcast Archive". Pitchfork. 2010-04-14. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- "mp3: Best Coast – "Gone Again"". Gorilla Vs. Bear. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- "video: Best Coast – "Gone Again"". Gorilla Vs. Bear. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
- 08/02/2011 00:00:00 (2011-08-02). "Best Coast's 'Our Deal' Supervideo: Best Side Story - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2012-05-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Best Coast|