The Best Southwest is a term commonly applied to four Dallas suburbs – Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Duncanville, and Lancaster – in southwestern Dallas County, Texas (USA). As of the 2000 census, the area had a population of 131,714 (though a January 1, 2010 North Central Texas Council of Governments estimate placed the population at 171,750).
The term "Best Southwest" was first used when the Cedar Hill, DeSoto, Duncanville, and Lancaster chambers of commerce formed a partnership to improve cooperation between the cities. They formed the Best Southwest Chamber Partnership in 1986, and it was incorporated in 1990.
The four municipalities, which are similar in population and form one of the most demographically diverse regions in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, frequently work together on local events and projects.
Best Southwest area demographics based on 2000 census data.
|Some other race||6,699||5.09%|
|Two or more races||2,527||1.92%|
(of any race)
|Median Income (Household)||$53,293|
|Median Income (Family)||$58,991|
|Median Income (Males)||$38,953|
|Median Income (Females)||$31,546|
|Per Capita Income||$22,674|
Population growth history
Colleges and Universities
- Northwood University (Cedar Hill)
- Cedar Valley College (Lancaster) - part of the Dallas County Community College District (DCCCD)
Four school districts serve most of the Best Southwest area:
- Cedar Hill ISD serves most of Cedar Hill as well as small portions of Grand Prairie and Ovilla. The district has 14 campuses (two High Schools, a Ninth Grade Center, two Middle Schools, three Intermediate Schools, and six Elementary Schools).
- DeSoto ISD covers most of DeSoto, the Dallas County portion of Glenn Heights and a small portion of Ovilla. The district has 12 campuses (one High School, a Freshman Campus, three Middle Schools, and seven Elementary Schools - four in DeSoto and 1 in Glenn Heights).
- The largest of the Best Southwest school districts, Duncanville ISD serves Duncanville, part of northwestern DeSoto, and a significant portion of southwest Dallas. The district has 16 campuses (one High School, three Middle Schools, three Intermediate Schools, and nine Elementary Schools - 6 in Duncanville and 3 in Dallas).
- A fast-growing district, Lancaster ISD covers most of Lancaster and a very small portion of Hutchins. The district has nine campuses (one High School, one Middle School, and seven Elementary Schools).
Other school districts that serve parts of the Best Southwest area include the Dallas Independent School District  (small portions of Lancaster and DeSoto) and the Midlothian Independent School District , which serves the small Ellis County portion of Cedar Hill.
- Best Southwest
- Best Southwest Online
- Focus Daily News
- Today Newspapers  - serving the Best Southwest and Grand Prairie (ceased publication in July 2009).
- Cedar Hill