|Type of site||Shock site|
|Users||Estimated 15 – 20 million page views per month|
|Created by||Mark Marek and contributors|
|Revenue||Advertising and donations|
|Alexa rank||15,496 (March 2014[update])|
Bestgore.com is a Canada based shock site owned by Mark Marek, which provides reality news, photos and videos. The site received media attention in 2012, following the hosting of a video which allegedly showed a real life murder being committed by Luka Magnotta. As a result, Marek was arrested and charged under Canada's obscenity law.
The site hosts explicit photographic and video material of events such as murders, suicides, and accidents.
In June 2012, the website was criticised for the inclusion of the graphic video titled 1 Lunatic 1 Ice Pick that depicts the alleged murder of Lin Jun by Luka Magnotta. Police said that Marek had initially refused requests to remove the video from the site, while Marek said "I took it down myself, on my own terms, without being asked. Had any such request by police to take it down, as alleged, been made, I would have just told them that the video had been down for days. Gil Zvulony, a Toronto based lawyer specializing in Internet law, stated that the evidence supports the laying of obscenity charges against Bestgore.com, stating "There's no real crime where there's no knowledge, but once they got notice of that and they allowed it to stay on there, that's where a crime was committed in my view." The Globe and Mail questioned why people would "[want] to see that stuff", with Psychology of Violence editor Sherry Hamby stating "[This] sort of thing has been going on for centuries, if not millennia ... We rubberneck at accident scenes; they never had any trouble filling the Roman Colosseum."
In June, it was reported that the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal was investigating Bestgore.com for charges of obscenity due to the posting of 1 Lunatic 1 Ice Pick. The Toronto Sun claimed that charges were pending on site owner Mark Marek, which Marek denied.
July 2013 obscenity charge
On July 16, 2013, Edmonton police charged Marek with one count of "corrupting morals" in connection with posting the Magnotta video. The rare charge is based on section 163 of the Criminal Code in Canada and can carry a maximum sentence of two years imprisonment. One police investigator described the site in his personal opinion as "a racist website, inciting hate, hatred, violence – violence above and beyond anything normal." Marek was released on bail, but was re-arrested on July 26 for allegedly violating the terms of his release.
- "You Heard It Here First". Best Gore. 2011-07-01. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "Bestgore.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-03-01.
- Bambury, Brent (June 1, 2012). "Interview with Mark Marek From Best Gore website". CBC.ca.
- "Statement by Marek" August 20, 2013
- Cohen, Tobi (June 5, 2012). "Leaving murder video online is a crime: lawyer". National Post. Archived from the original on 2012-06-06.
- Houpt, Simon (June 8, 2012). "BestGore and its ilk: Frontline journalism or goad to further violence?". The Globe and Mail.
- "Best Gore website investigated over Magnotta video" CBC.ca. June 5, 2012.
- Roth, Pamela (June 5, 2012). "Charges pending on Bestgore.com webmaster". Toronto Sun.
- Graveland, Bill (June 5, 2012). "Gore site owner says he hasn't heard from police about dismemberment video". The Canadian Press.
- Canadian Press (July 17, 2013). "Gore site owner charged for posting dismemberment video in Luka Magnotta case". The Globe and Mail (Toronto). Retrieved July 17, 2013.
- "Police charge Edmonton gore site owner in Magnotta video investigation". Global News. July 17, 2013. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- Lazzarino, Dave (July 26, 2013). "Bestgore.com operator back in custody after allegedly breaking bail conditions". QMI Agency.