Beta (motorcycle manufacturer)
|Founder||Giuseppe Bianchi, Arrigo Tosi|
|Headquarters||Rignano sull'Arno, Italy|
Beta is an Italian motorcycle manufacturer, specialising in off-road motorcycles. Beta are best known for their popular trials bikes. In 2005, they launched a range of enduro motorcycles using KTM engines. In the 2010 they will launch the new RR series, with a new engine made in-house. Beta motorcycles have been used by world trials champions such as Jordi Tarrés, Dougie Lampkin and Albert Cabestany.
Beta has its origins in 1904 as a bicycle manufacturing company named "Società Giuseppe Bianchi", originally based in Florence. The company started making motorcycles in 1948. The name Beta comes from the initials of Enzo Bianchi and Arrigo Tosi, who ran the company at that time. Focusing on two-stroke bikes through the 1950s and 1960s, the company started focusing development and production to off-road motorcycles in the 1970s.
Beta have produced motorcycles for observed trials since the early 1980s and are now one of the leading manufacturers. Unlike the Trail and Enduro models, the trials bike have used Beta's own engines.
- TR240 (1983-4) First trials model, twinshock suspension 125cc, 200cc engines, the majority with reed valve induction.
- TR32, (1984-5) Air-cooled, monoshock model, produced in parallel with the twinshock model, same engine as TR240
- TR33, (1985-6)
- TR34, (1986-9) Very successful trials model, stripey paintwork, 125cc - 260cc engines
- TR35, (1989–91) Air-cooled engine series
- Zero, (1989–92) Water-cooled monoshock
- Synt, (1992-4) Water-cooled monoshock
- SuperTrial, (1992-3) Air-cooled engine
- Gara, (1993-4)
- Techno, (1994-9) 125cc version from 1995
- Rev-3, (1999–2008) 2-stroke trials
- Rev-4, (2007–08) 4-stroke trials
- Evo [2009-] 2-stroke and 4-stroke
Enduro and motocross models
Beta made a range of motocross and enduro bikes during the 1970s and 1980s.
The Beta Enduro bikes have used KTM engines since their return in 2004, though 2009 sees the launch of bikes with Beta's own power units.
The Alp trail motorcycle models have used air-cooled Suzuki DR-model engines and have a good reputation at commuters and 'green-lane' trail bikes. With a low seat height and a reputation as an easy to ride motorcycle, they are ideal to beginners of off-road riding.
- Alp (2000-), 125cc, 200cc and 350cc models. Air-cooled bikes with Suzuki engines.
- List of scooters
- Scooter (motorcycle)
- List of scooter manufacturers
- List of Italian companies
- List of motorcycle manufacturers
- Beta Official site.
- Beta Racing UK Uk based Beta Trials site.
- www.BetaBikes.de German Site: Information, Forum, Gallery, Vids and more, all about Betamotorcycles]
- www.betarider.org Beta Riders Club
- www.betarider.org/forum Beta Discussion Forum