Beta Gamma Sigma
|National President||William C. Hunter|
Beta Gamma Sigma or ΒΓΣ is an academic honor society. Founded in 1913 at the University of Wisconsin, it has over 725,000 members, selected from over 530 collegiate chapters in business schools accredited by AACSB International. Founded in the US, it has in recent years added collegiate chapters in Australia, Brazil, Canada, Egypt, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Israel, Lebanon, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Philippines, Singapore, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, the Netherlands, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom.
The purpose of Beta Gamma Sigma is to encourage and honor academic achievement in the study of business and to foster personal and professional excellence among its members. A major emphasis of the society is to foster ethical business leadership. Beta Gamma Sigma has members reside in over 160 countries with 27 alumni chapters located in major metropolitan areas in the U.S., Germany, Hong Kong, Spain, Switzerland & Liechtenstein, New Zealand, and London. These chapters provide educational and networking opportunities for members.
While membership is highly selective, Beta Gamma Sigma is the largest alumni group in the world for graduates of business programs.
Membership requirements include that a student must be in the top 10% of a bachelors or masters business program and they are inducted toward the end of their degree program, but no earlier than after completion of 50% of the coursework or the last semester of the 3rd (junior) year for those in 4-year bachelors degrees. Doctoral students are eligible for membership after completing all requirements for the doctoral degree.
The organization is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies.
- J. Ralph Byington - Coastal Carolina University
- Fernando D'Alessio - Centrum Catolica Graduate Business School in Lima (Peru)
- Joyce J. Elam - Florida International University
- Dennis J. Elbert - University of North Dakota
- Kenneth R. Evans - Lamar University
- James W. Fenton, Jr. - Ohio Northern University
- John J. Fernandes - AACSB International
- Ellen F. Harshman - Saint Louis University
- William (Curt) Hunter - University of Iowa
- Betty Jo Licata - Youngstown State University
- Linda P. Livingstone - Pepperdine University
- Brenda D. Lovell - AACSB International
- Bernard J. Milano - KPMG Foundation
- Robert D. Reid - AACSB International
- Barbara Sainty - Brock University
- Denise D. Schoenbachler - Northern Illinois University
- Denise T. Smart - Texas State University
- George Tsetsekos - Drexel University
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2007)|
- Beta Gamma Sigma Headquarters
- Georgia Area Alumni Chapter
- Cleveland Area Alumni Chapter
- Denver Area Alumni Chapter
- Hong Kong Area Alumni Chapter
- New York Area Alumni Chapter
- Northern Germany Area Alumni Chapter
- Phoenix Area Alumni Chapter
- St. Louis Area Alumni Chapter
- San Diego Area Alumni Chapter
- San Francisco Area Alumni Chapter
- Seattle Area Alumni Chapter
- Switzerland & Liechtenstein Area Alumni Chapter
- Scholarship Recipients