Entrance to a subdivision along Bethany Blvd.
|Elevation||300 ft (90 m)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|ZIP codes||97006, 97229|
|Area code(s)||503, 971|
|GNIS feature ID||1136645|
Bethany is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Washington County, Oregon, United States. It is situated north of U.S. Route 26 near Beaverton, about four miles northwest of Cedar Mill, and is within the Portland metropolitan area. As of the 2010 Census, the community had 20,646 residents.
The name Bethany was first applied to a crossroads trading center about two miles northeast of the current location, where a Presbyterian church stands today. The area was first settled by Ulrich Gerber, who came from Switzerland in the mid-1870s. Gerber helped establish the first post office in the area in 1878, about a mile east of the current Bethany School, and suggested the name Bethany. "Bethany" is a Hebrew word, originally applied to a place in Palestine near Jerusalem, and used as a place name all over the United States, especially in connection with a church. The post office was discontinued in 1904.
The area's first public library was opened in July 2007 by a non-profit organization named the Cedar Mill Community Library Association, which has operated a library in nearby Cedar Mill since 1976. It is considered a branch of that library and is named the Cedar Mill Community Library @ Bethany. The area became a census-designated place after the 2010 Census.
Bethany is served by the Beaverton School District. Area students attend Bethany, Rock Creek, Jacob Wismer and Springville elementary schools, Stoller Middle School, and Westview High School and Sunset High School.
Bethany is also the name of a community about two miles west of Silverton in Marion County at . It was named as early as 1851 when Bethany Christian Church was organized. There is a Bethany School located there today, which currently serves as a charter school.
- "Bethany, Oregon". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- Tims, Dana (April 12, 2011). "Washington County's 2010 Census data include a few surprises". The Oregonian. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
- McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003) [First published 1928]. Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. pp. 76–77. ISBN 9780875952772. OCLC 53075956.
- "About Cedar Mill Community Library @ Bethany". Washington County Cooperative Library Services. Retrieved 2009-05-13.
- Tierney, Dana (2009-03-25). "More space will aid library patrons". The Oregonian. Retrieved 2009-05-13.
- "About Bethany Charter School". Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- Historic images of Bethany from Salem Public Library
- Cedar Mill Community Library – Bethany Branch
- Historic images of the Bethany area from Washington County Heritage Online