Frankel in April 2009
November 4, 1970 |
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Education||Pine Crest School|
|Spouse(s)||Peter Sussman (m. 1996; d. 1997)
Jason Hoppy (m. 2010)
|Parents||Robert J. Frankel (father)|
Bethenny Frankel (born November 4, 1970) is an American television personality and talk show host, author, and entrepreneur. A former natural foods chef, she is the founder of Skinnygirl Cocktails, the author of four self-help books and the host of the TV talk show, Bethenny. Frankel has appeared on The Apprentice: Martha Stewart, The Real Housewives of New York City and was the subject of the TV shows Bethenny Getting Married? and Bethenny Ever After.
Frankel is the only child of horse trainer Robert J. Frankel and Bernadette Birk. Her father was Jewish and her mother was a Roman Catholic of Welsh descent who converted to Judaism when they married. Her father left her mother when Frankel was four years old and when she was five, her mother married another horse trainer, John Parisella. She describes her childhood as difficult. Her biological father stopped supporting the family and her mother, Frankel says, "was always drinking" and often argued violently with her stepfather.
Frankel graduated in 1988 from the Pine Crest School in Fort Lauderdale, Florida where she lived on campus. She attended the National Gourmet Institute for Healthy and Culinary Arts in New York City, and New York University.
Bethenny worked as a production assistant on the set of Saved by the Bell. She appeared in the 1993 short film Soiree Sans Hors D'oeuvres, the 1994 movie Hollywood Hills 90028, and the 1995 movie Wish Me Luck.
In 2005, Frankel was a contestant on The Apprentice: Martha Stewart reality TV show and was one of two finalists. In 2008, Frankel was selected for the reality TV series The Real Housewives of New York City. In June, Frankel starred in the Bravo reality TV show Bethenny Getting Married?, which documented her engagement, marriage and the birth of their daughter. The show's premiere was the highest rated of any series in Bravo's history. In September, Frankel announced, that for personal reasons, she would not be returning to the The Real Housewives of New York City show. In February 2011, Frankel starred in a follow up series, Bethenny Ever After which documented her first year of marriage and motherhood. In November, Frankel appeared on the ABC reality series Skating with the Stars, and was runner-up to the champion.
Business Venture -"Skinnygirl"
While Frankel was gaining celebrity status through her television presence, in March 2009, Frankel's first book, Naturally Thin: Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting, was published and later in December 2009, her second book, The SkinnyGirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life, was also released.
She also created an exercise DVD, Body by Bethenny, in spring 2010 and an audio book, The Skinnygirl Rules, which summarized her two SkinnyGirl books. In December 2012, Frankel published a novel called Skinnydipping. In March 2011, Frankel released A Place of Yes: 10 Rules for Getting Everything You Want Out of Life which spent several weeks on the New York Times Bestseller List.
Later on, Frankel became known for her line of low-cal cocktail recipes, especially her margarita. With the growing success of her business, Forbes estimated Frankel's yearly earnings to be $12 million. However, in April 2011, Frankel sold her Skinnygirl cocktail company to Fortune Brands' Beam Global for an estimated $100 million. In September 2011, Whole Foods Market stopped selling Skinnygirl products because they contained a preservative that did not meet their quality standards.
Career in Television - "Bethenny"
Frankel created a TV talk show pilot with the help of executive producer Ellen DeGeneres, which aired during the summer of 2012. However, after a successful test run in 2012, the show was scheduled for Warner Bros. syndication in September 2013. The objective, Frankel said to USA Today, "is to have DeGeneres Oprah me, which means putting her stamp on 'bethenny', as Winfrey was able to do for protégé hits Dr. Phil and Dr. Oz."
As Frankel was going through a personal divorce when the pilot of "Bethenny" aired, she designed the show as a forum for women to discuss issues relating to relationships, marriage and parenthood etc. With her outgoing and blunt personality, Frankel is often known for her outspokenness with herself saying that "nothing is ever off limits" on the show.
Coming from a successful background that was built on several of her own business ventures, Frankel's went back to entrepreneurial roots and used the show as an avenue for women entrepreneurs to showcase their innovations.In several of her episodes, Frankel invited women who have started their own business venture, giving them the opportunity to present their ideas on the show and receive mentorship from Frankel herself.
In the ratings for the week ending Novermber 10, Frankel's show hits struggle to take the top spot as her show takes the No.14 spot on the weekly syndication list. Given that her daytime talk show remains super-glued in the bottom five of the ratings, the former Real Housewives of New York City star’s premiere season fails to increase viewership with disappointing viewership numbers.
Frankel married entertainment industry executive Peter Sussman in 1996 and divorced him in 1997. Frankel posed nude for a PETA billboard in September 2009. Frankel married businessman Jason Hoppy on March 28, 2010 in New York City. Her daughter, Bryn, was born in May 2010. Frankel separated from Hoppy in December 2012, and filed for divorce in January 2013.
Movie and Television history
|1993||Soiree Sans Hors D'oeuvres||Woman||Minor role|
|1994||Hollywood Hills 90028|
|1995||Wish Me Luck|
|2005||The Apprentice: Martha Stewart||Herself||13 episodes, runner-up, came in 2nd place.|
|2008–2010||The Real Housewives of New York City||42 episodes, left before Season 4 aired.|
|2010||Bethenny Getting Married?||10 episodes, turned into Bethenny Ever After...|
|2010–2012||Chelsea Lately||Various episodes, celebrity guest|
|2010||Skating with the Stars||6 episodes, runner-up, came in 2nd place.|
|2010–2013||The Ellen DeGeneres Show||Various episodes, celebrity guest|
|2011–2012||Bethenny Ever After...||26 episodes, originally named Bethenny Getting Married?|
|2012–present||Bethenny||Host||Test run aired in June 2012, Nation air in Fall 2013.|
|2013||The Neighbors||Jill||1 episode, "Mo Purses Mo Money Mo Problems"|
- Naturally Thin: Unleash Your SkinnyGirl and Free Yourself from a Lifetime of Dieting (ISBN 1-41659-798-0, 2009)
- The Skinnygirl Dish: Easy Recipes for Your Naturally Thin Life (ISBN 1-41659-799-9, 2009)
- Body by Bethenny: Body-sculpting Workouts to Unleash Your SkinnyGirl (ISBN 978-1-59828-440-9, 2010)
- Skinny Dipping (ISBN 9781451667387, 2012)
- A Place of Yes: 10 Rules for Getting Everything You Want Out of Life (ISBN 1439186901, 2011)
- People: "Bethenny Frankel: Love Saved My Life" By LIZ MCNEIL July 19, 2010
- New York Daily News: "'Real Housewives of New York City' star Bethenny Frankel and husband Jason Hoppy separating" By Bill Hutchinson December 23, 2012
- Video Interview on BravoTV: "After Show: All About Baby – Part V: Bethenny talks about her religious background and the most important thing Baby Bryn has taught her" Retrieved July 4, 2012 "My father was Jewish. The story goes – because you know I am not that close to my family, I am not there for the real history lessons – He married my mother and she converted to Judaism for him. She was Catholic but then she was with my stepfather for all those years. I went to Catholic school and I know more about that."
- Bethenny Frankel (2011-03-22). A Place of Yes: 10 Rules for Getting Everything You Want Out of Life. p. 56. ISBN 9781439186923. "My mother had gone of to Wales for several months...her family is from Wales - very poor people who lived in shacks and raised pigeons"
- Bethenny Ever After Season 2 Episode 4 - It's My Baptism and I'll Cry if I Want To 1/4. 6:45: YouTube. "I went to Catholic school because my stepfather was Catholic"
- Pinecrest Alumni newsletter Retrieved July 12, 2012
- South Florida Sun-Sentinel: "Bethenny Frankel comes to South Beach this weekend" By John Tanasychuk February 20, 2012
- "Bethenny Frankel Shares Photo From 'Saved By The Bell' Set". Huffingtonpost.com. 2012-06-26. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- Bethenny Frankel: A Reality Star One Year Later Jack Myers Media Village
- Martha Stewart selects Dawna Stone as her 'The Apprentice' winner Reality TV World
- Huguenin, Patrick (January 14, 2008). "Bravo spinoff 'Real Housewives of New York City' debuts in March". Daily News (New York).
- "Ratings: Bethenny Getting Married? the Most-Watched Series Debut in Bravo History". TVGuide.com.
- "Bethenny Frankel Leaving Real Housewives of New York City?". National Ledger. June 20, 2010. Retrieved June 24, 2010.
- "Bethenny Frankel: I'm Leaving 'The Real Housewives of New York City'". CBS News. September 2, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- "Bethenny Frankel's Tips on Staying Slim, Sexy, and Fabulous".
- Unknown Author Skinnydipping World Cat, accessed Dec 18, 2012
- Good Day LA interview, July 31, 2013
- "Forbes Magazine Looking Into Bethenny Frankel's Financials". Huffington Post (New York). October 13, 2011.
- "Bethenny Frankel on Skinnygirl Sale". Today Show – MSNBC (New York). October 17, 2011.
- "Bethenny Frankel's Skinnygirl line pulled from Whole Foods". CNN. September 2, 2011. Retrieved September 2, 2011.
- "Bethenny Frankel's Talk Show Fails to Find Syndicated Home". CNN. November 28, 2011. Retrieved September 2, 2011.
- "'Bethenny' to Air in Summer Test on Fox", from Broadcasting & Cable, January 24, 2012
- Block, Allen Ben (Sept 24, 2012) Frankel Talk Show Fox Stations accessed Dec 17, 2012
- Unknown Author Bethany Frankel People, accessed Dec 24, 2012
- Bethenny Frankel reveals secret first marriage to Peter Sussman. BY Cristina Everett, DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER, Wednesday, June 9, 2010
- Hall, Katy (December 15, 2009). "Bethenny Frankel: Nude For PETA". The Huffington Post. Retrieved January 29, 2010.
- Parade Magazine interview with Bethenny Frankel: "Bethenny Frankel: 'My Mother Hasn't Expressed Any Interest in Meeting Bryn'" by Fran Carpentier July 12, 2010 | "Jason goes to church every Sunday. I have to be supportive and allow Bryn to be Catholic — although I wouldn't necessarily want that... Faith, culture, structure and guidance are good things."
- "Bethenny Frankel & Jason Hoppy's Dream Wedding!". OK! (New York). April 2, 2010.
- "Bethenny Frankel, Jason Hoppy Separating After Two Years of Marriage". US Weekly. December 23, 2012.
- "Meet Bethenny Frankel’s New Baby Bryn!". People. May 25, 2010.
- "Bethenny Frankel in Size-4 Bikini 3 Weeks After Baby! Go Bethenny!". UsMagazine.com.
- Fran Carpentier (July 12, 2010). "Parade Magazine interview with Bethenny Frankel: "Bethenny Frankel: 'My Mother Hasn't Expressed Any Interest in Meeting Bryn'"". "Jason goes to church every Sunday. I have to be supportive and allow Bryn to be Catholic — although I wouldn't necessarily want that... Faith, culture, structure and guidance are good things."
- Bethenny Frankel BravoTV: "Entering Motherhood: Bethenny discusses the "blessing ceremony," religion, and baby pandas" March 21, 2011
- Billups, Andrea and McNeil, Liz (Dec 23, 2012) Bethenny Frankel & Jason Hoppy Split Up People, accessed Dec 24, 2012
- "Bethenny Frankel Divorcing Jason Hoppy". People. January 5, 2013.
- "Bethenny Frankel: I Want Child Support ...From My Ex!". TMZ. January 7, 2013.
- "Bethenny Frankel's Husband Jason Hoppy Files Aggressive New Divorce Papers: Report". Us Weekly. January 24, 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bethenny Frankel.|
- Official website
- Interview with Obsessed TV with Samantha Ettus
- Bethenny Frankel Interview
- Frankel on Beauty Interviews
- Reality TV Magazine
- Profile at Forbes
- Bethenny Frankel at the Internet Movie Database