Bethlehem Area School District
|Bethlehem Area School District|
|Location of the Bethlehem Area School District in Lehigh and Northampton Counties, Pennsylvania.
The Bethlehem Area School District, in partnership with the home and community, is committed to providing a safe and supportive environment in which each student will attain the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to become a productive citizen and life-long learner in our technologically demanding and culturally diverse society.
|1516 Sycamore Street
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Lehigh, Northampton, 18017
OFFICERS: Michael Faccinetto (President) Shannon Patrick (Vice President / Human Resource Chair)
DIRECTORS: Basilio Bonilla, Jr. (Curriculum Chair) , Michele Cann (Facilities Chair) , Eugene McKeon (Finance Chair) , Craig Neiman , Rogelio Ortiz , Angela Sinkler , Sudantha Vidanage
|Superintendent||Joseph J. Roy|
|Slogan||"Shaping the Future. One Child at a Time."|
The Bethlehem Area School District covers the City of Bethlehem, the Boroughs of Fountain Hill and Freemansburg and Bethlehem Township and Hanover Township in Lehigh County and Northampton County. The district operates two High Schools, four Middle Schools and sixteen Elementary Schools as well as other educational institutions. The enrollment of the school district is 15,036, with 55% White, 9.5% Black, 32.3% Hispanic, 3.1% Asian, and 0.2% Native American.
- Broughal Middle School
- East Hills Middle School
- Nitschmann Middle School
- Northeast Middle School
- Asa Packer Elementary School
- Calypso Elementary School
- Clearview Elementary School
- Donegan Elementary School
- Farmersville Elementary School
- Fountain Hill Elementary School
- Fountain Hill Kindergarten Center
- Freemansburg Elementary School
- Governor Wolf Elementary School
- Hanover Elementary School
- James Buchanan Elementary School
- Lincoln Elementary School
- Marvine Elementary School
- Miller Heights Elementary School
- Spring Garden Elementary School
- Thomas Jefferson Elementary School
- William Penn Elementary School
In 2011, the school district ranked 356th out of 498 Pennsylvania districts by the Pittsburgh Business Times. The ranking is based on five years of student academic achievement as demonstrated by PSSAs results in: reading, writing, math and three years of science.
- 2010 - 342nd 
- 2009 - 351st
- 2008 - 353rd
- 2007 - 354th out of 501 Pennsylvania school districts ranking,
In 2011, the Pittsburgh Business Times reported an Overachievers Ranking for 497 Pennsylvania school districts. Bethlehem Area School District ranked 205th. The paper describes the ranking as: "a ranking answers the question - which school districts do better than expectations based upon economics? This rank takes the Honor Roll rank and adds the percentage of students in the district eligible for free and reduced-price lunch into the formula. A district finishing high on this rank is smashing expectations, and any district above the median point is exceeding expectations." 
- 2010 - 96th
- 2009 - 134th 
In 2010, the Pennsylvania Department of Education issued a new, 4-year cohort graduation rate. Bethlehem Area School District's rate was 82% for 2010.
- According to traditional graduation rate calculations
In 2009, Bethlehem Area School District student academic achievement ranked in the 21st percentile among 500 PA school districts. (0-99; 100 is state best)
College remediation: According to a Pennsylvania Department of Education study released in January 2009, 25% of Bethlehem Area School District graduates required remediation in mathematics and or reading before they were prepared to take college level courses in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education or community colleges. Less than 66% of Pennsylvania high school graduates, who enroll in a four-year college in Pennsylvania, will earn a bachelor's degree within six years. Among Pennsylvania high school graduates pursuing an associate degree, only one in three graduate in three years. Per the Pennsylvania Department of Education, one in three recent high school graduates who attend Pennsylvania's public universities and community colleges takes at least one remedial course in math, reading or English.
- Bethlehem Area Vocational-Technical School
- Bethlehem Catholic High School
- Centennial School
- Holy Infancy Elementary School
- Lehigh Valley Charter High School for the Performing Arts
- Lehigh Valley Academy
- Moravian Academy
- Notre Dame of Bethlehem Elementary School
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help School
- Regional Academic Standards Academy
- St. Anne Elementary School
- Pittsburgh Business Times (April 2011). "Statewide Honor Roll Rankings 2011".
- Pittsburgh Business Times (May 2010). "Statewide Honor Roll Rankings,".
- "http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2007/05/21/daily24.html". Pittsburgh Business Times. May 2007.
- "Overachiever statewide ranking,". Pittsburgh Business Times. April 2011.
- "Overachiever's Ranking 2010". Pittsburgh Business Times. April 30, 2010.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (March 15, 2011). "New 4-year Cohort Graduation Rate Calculation Now Being Implemented".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education. "Derry Township School District Academic Achievement Report Card 2010".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (August 2009). "Bethlehem Area School District District AYP Data Table".
- The Times-Tribune (June 25, 2009). "Bethlehem Area School District".
- Pennsylvania Partnership for children (2007). "PA High School Graduation Info by School District 2007".
- "2009 PSSA RESULTS Bethlehem Area School District,". The Morning Call. 2009.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (January). "Pennsylvania College Remediation Report". Check date values in:
- National Center for Education Statistics