Bethpage High School
|Bethpage High School|
|10 Cherry Ave.
Bethpage, New York, (Nassau County), 11714
|School district||Bethpage Union Free School District|
|Assistant principals||Kevin Healy and Ralph Tocco|
|Color(s)||Blue and Gold|
Bethpage High School is the only high school in Bethpage, New York. Located in Nassau County on Long Island, the school is situated at the corner of Stewart Avenue and Cherry Avenue, across from the Bethpage Community Park. On average, each class size is between 25 and 30 students. Bethpage High School was recently ranked by Newsweek at number 267 of the Best High Schools in America.
Almost every classroom in the school is equipped with an overhanging projector attached to the classroom computer. There are several computer labs within the building with Internet access. The auditorium was recently renovated to become one of the most technologically advanced performing arts centers on Long Island.
- 1 Extracurricular activities
- 2 Athletics
- 3 Notable Alumni
- 4 References
On January 16, 2007, the new Bethpage High School Performing Arts Center was unveiled. The auditorium contains its own professional sound system, waiting room, dressing rooms, and lighting booth. The Center is home to the Masquers Guild (Drama Club).
- 2013/2014 12 Angry Jurors; Anything Goes
- 2012/2013 Parents Just Don't Understand; Legally Blonde
- 2011/2012 A Christmas Carol; A Chorus Line
- 2010/2011 The Importance of Being Earnest; Hairspray
- 2009/2010 The Man Who Came to Dinner; The Music Man
- 2008/2009 The Mousetrap; Back to the 80's
- 2007/2008 E/R: Emergency Room; Little Shop of Horrors
- 2006/2007 (No fall show due to construction); West Side Story
- 2005/2006 Alice In Wonderland; Fame
- 2004/2005 The Haunted Honeymoon; Crazy For You
- 2003/2004 Graff; Footloose
- 2002/2003 You Can't Take It With You; You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown
- 2001/2002 A Tribute to America; Guys & Dolls
- 2000/2001 Enter Laughing; Grease
Bethpage High School's Spanish Club embraces both Spanish culture and community service. Each year, the club works hard to organize cultural trips to museums and volunteers time at Winthrop Hospital at the Hispanic Health Fair. The club also sends aid to Spanish countries and holds an annual Foreign Film Night. The club is open to all students, regardless of language class taken or heritage.
Student Civic Association
The Bethpage High School Student Civic Association is a community service association composed of current attendees of Bethpage High School, open to all those students willing to join. It holds an annual philanthropic talent show and numerous blood drives, and participates in national support programs including Hurricane relief, the annual Marty Lyons Christmas Party for terminally ill children, and various other altruistic endeavors.
The Bethpage Robotics Team (#2869) has competed in the 2009 US FIRST Competition at Hofstra and at 2 invitational competitions at Deer Park High School. The only award received, so far, is the "Rookie Inspirational Award". The team also competed in the 2010 Competition (the theme was 'soccer').
Long Island Challenge Appearance
In 2006, Bethpage High School was chosen to compete on The Long Island Challenge, an academic quiz show featuring Long Island high schools. Team members included Raman Madan, Karan Sabharwal, Jeff Katz, Vinod Kasturi, and Steve Secchio.
Bethpage's varsity football team has won 14 Nassau County and five Long Island Football Championships (1993, 1994, 2000, 2002, 2003). In 1952, Howard C. Vogts created the first team. Vogts's career record is 342-114-10 mark over 53 seasons, including a 60-game home unbeaten streak (59-0-1) between 1989 and 2004. until beaten by the Wantagh Senior High School Warriors.
The Golden Girls are a kickline/dance team with a tradition of excellence and the recipient of multiple awards. The team participates in the Kick, Pom, Jazz, and Hip Hop Categories (Lyrical and Team Routine in 2008). In 2006 and 2007, the Varsity Kickline became National Champions in the POM Category, and in 2008 placed 6th at the National Dance Alliance (NDA) Championship, where the team also placed 2nd in Kick in 2005. In 2009, the Golden Girls & Company won the Eastern Dance Association's National High Kick Title, as well as the All-Around Champion title, with a 2nd place finish in the Large Pom category. In 2010, the Golden Girls placed 2nd in Kick, and won the Large Pom title.
Girls Varsity Tennis
Girls Nassau County Conference Championship 2011 Season
Boys Varsity Tennis
2003-2004 Boys undefeated Nassau County Conference Champions. Led by Scott Bickard and William Ingwersen.
The lacrosse team is coached by Erwin Dill who is also the Football Head Coach. They are most recognized by the 1996 lacrosse team who won the NY State Championships and by the 2004 County Finalists who lost to eventual State Champs, Southside who held a #3 ranking in NY and Top 20 in the County. Here are some recognizable names that have played Professional Lacrosse from Bethpage - A.J Haugen, Matt Rekowski, Thomas Michaelsen, Brandon Testa, and many more. Bethpage Lacrosse has tradition of producing many stellar lacrosse players who have excelled at several prestigious universities such as Duke University, Johns Hokpins, Albany, CW Post, Syracuse, St. John's, Hofstra, Rutgers, Stony Brook and many more notable schools.
Joe Sambito is the only player from Bethpage to make it to the MLB. He played for the Houston Astros, the New York Mets and the Boston Red Sox in his 11 year career. Ryan Caulfield was the only player from Bethpage to win the Diamond award which is given to the best baseball player in Nassau County.
- Dennis "Skip" Macholz, played at Michigan State University 1969–72, and the World Football League
- Joe Sambito, Major League Baseball pitcher for the Houston Astros, New York Mets, and Boston Red Sox
- A.J. Haugen, Major League Lacrosse, 3X All American at John's Hopkins
- Thomas Michaelsen, professional lacrosse player & President/Founder of 365lax Inc.
- Trevor Michaelsen, Holds 3 Long Island Football Kicking Records & Division 1 Athlete at Rutgers & St. John's
- Jordan Levine, professional lacrosse player
- Matt Rekowski, current Assistant Lacrosse Coach at Cornell University and former professional lacrosse player