Bethpage Union Free School District
||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (January 2013)|
The Bethpage Union Free School District (BUFSD) in Bethpage, New York contains 5 schools. The boundaries of the school district include parts of some surrounding hamlets (such as Old Bethpage, Plainview, and Plainedge).
The District offers a state-of-the-art technology program, with a projector and computer in almost every classroom, many computer labs, and other technology implements. There are over 3,000 students in the district, 280+ teachers and other staff. The Superintendent of Schools is Terrence Clark. The Assistant Superintendent for Instruction and Technology is David Schneider, former principal of JFK Middle School. Joseph Marchesiello is the Assistant Superintendent for Business, and Caroline Lavelle is the Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources.
- Bethpage High School, grades 9-12, was completed in 1959. Located at the intersection of Cherry Avenue and Stewart Avenue; led by Principal Michael Spence.
- JFK Middle School, completed between 1950 and 1952, at one time or another has housed every grade (from K to 12). All three elementary schools feed into this one middle school, which presently has grades 6 to 8 and is under the leadership of Principal Kevin Fullerton.
- Central Boulevard Elementary, completed 1955-1956, is led by Principal Steven P. Furrey.
- Charles Campagne Elementary, completed in 1962, is led by Principal Angelita Cintado.
- Kramer Lane Elementary, built in 1957, is within the Plainview Postal District and is led by Principal Kerri McCarthy.
- Bedelltown School (first school in the area, built 1858, was at Broadway & Plainview Road, rebuilt on higher ground in 1890s at Broadway and Cherry Avenue) At the time of its founding, the school district's name was Bedelltown.
- Powell Avenue (built 1912, demolished for the 1963 construction of the Bethpage Public Library)
- Pine Avenue Elementary (built 1954, closed 1980)
- Bloomingdale Elementary (built 1959, closed 1972)
- List of Long Island public school districts and schools
- List of school districts in New York
- Island Trees Union Free School District
- Levittown, New York
- 1952 Library of Congress photos of Bethpage school now designated JFK Middle School
- Bethpage School Board web site
- Three photos of old buildings, since demolished. Two are of old schools.
|This New York (state) school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|