Betraying the Martyrs
|Betraying the Martyrs|
Betraying the Martyrs performing live in 2014
|Genres||Deathcore, metalcore, symphonic metal|
|Labels||Sumerian (USA, Canada, Mexico)
|Associated acts||Darkness Dynamite, The Beverly Secret, Black Curtains, Beyond The Dust|
|Website||Betraying the Martyrs on Facebook|
|Past members||Eddie Czaicki
Betraying the Martyrs is a deathcore band from Paris, France.
Formation and EP release
Betraying the Martyrs was founded in 2008 and currently consists of Aaron Matts (lead vocals), Baptiste Vigier (rhythm guitar), Lucas d'Angelo (lead guitar), Victor Guillet (clean vocals/keyboard), Valentin Hauser (bass guitar) and Mark Mironov (drums). Former members of the band included Eddie Czaicki (vocals), Antoine Salin (Drums), and Fabien Clévy (lead guitar).
Before joining the band, Czaicki played in the French metalcore outfit, Darkness Dynamite. Guillet was the lead vocalist and keyboardist in the post-hardcore band, The Beverly Secret. Vigier and d'Angelo were in the metalcore band, Black Curtains. On November 18, 2009, Betraying the Martyrs released their debut EP The Hurt, The Divine, The Light, a self-produced recording funded entirely by the band and mixed by Stephane Buriez. The EP sold more than 2,000 copies in France alone. Their first European tour, "The Survivors Tour" (2010), involved the band playing in support of Whitechapel, Dark Funeral, Darkness Dynamite, A Skylit Drive, Adept, Despised Icon, Dance Gavin Dance, While She Sleeps and Shadows Chasing Ghosts. The band met current vocalist, British native Aaron Matts, during that tour, as he replaced Czaicki shortly thereafter. Czaicki opted to leave the band to pursue an art career.
Breathe in Life album
In 2011, the band started working on their first album and quickly signed deals with Sumerian Records, for North America, and Listenable Records for the rest of the world. On September 23, 2011, Betraying the Martyrs' debut album, Breathe In Life, was released globally. The album was produced in the band's studio and mixed by Charles J Wall at Sonic Assault Studios and the cover art was created by Hauser, the band's bass player. The album works with the central themes of life, faith and interpersonal relationships.
Between April and May 2011, the group completed a second European tour, the “Breathe In Life Tour", for the promotion of their debut album. The tour included performances in Germany, Russia, Ukraine, Poland, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, Austria, Luxembourg, Belgium, France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom. Support on the "Breathe In Life Tour" was provided by Russian deathcore band, My Autumn, and Despite My Deepest Fear. Later that year, during the northern fall, the band toured the United States with Born of Osiris, Veil of Maya, Carnifex and Structures.
The French Guitarist Mag magazine named the album as one of the Top 5 Albums of 2011 (second behind Megadeth), and the Best Newcomer of the Year in the Hard Metal category. Gibson named them in the Ten Metal Bands to check out in the summer of 2012, along with bands like Asking Alexandria and Five Finger Death Punch.
In May 2012, Antoine quit the band and was replaced by Russian drummer Mark Mironov from the deathcore band My Autumn.
The band went to the studio after touring with Asking Alexandria in Europe. Phantom will be released by Sumerian Records on the 15th of July 2014.
On the 28th of May 2014, the band released a new song called Where The World Ends.
On the 17th of June 2014, the band released a new song called Jigsaw.
On the 14th of July 2014, the band released a cover version of Let It Go (taken from the Academy Award winning Disney movie Frozen). Also on the 15th of July Betraying The Martyrs released their second full length "Phantom"
Betraying the Martyrs toured Europe in early 2012 on the famous "Bonecrusher Tour", with Carnifex, Within The Ruins, Molotov Solution and Beneath The Massacre. As of April 2012, the band is touring the US, on the "Sumerianos Tour", alongside Upon A Burning Body and I The Breather, in addition to numerous other support acts. The band then followed a European tour, supporting Veil of Maya on the "European Eclipse 2012" tour, alongside Vildhjarta, Structures and Volumes. For the remainder of 2012, the band has been included on the line-up for "The All Stars Tour 2012" (northern summer) alongside Suicide Silence, Unearth, Attila and Winds of Plague; and on the Mayhem Festival 2012 with Slipknot, Slayer, Anthrax and many others. They also performed as an opening act at the "Hellfest 2012" tour. They also replaced Winds Of Plague at the Graspop Metal Meeting 2012 Tour.
Betraying the Martyrs just completed touring with Asking Alexandria, While She Sleeps and Motionless in White, Chelsea Grin, Attila, and Within the Ruins. They are now in the studio recording their followup album.
During summer 2013, Betraying the Martyrs toured many festivals in Europe. They played during the Greenfield Festival in Switzerland alongside bands such as Rammstein, Queens Of The Stone Age, The Prodigy and Parkway Drive. They also performed at the Ghosfest with The Devil Wears Prada, Chelsea Grin or Veil of Maya. Betraying the Martyrs participated on the Never Say Die! Tour with Emmure, Carnifex, I Killed The Prom Queen, Hundredth, Northlane and Hand of Mercy. On November 2013, they made an eastern and Scandinavian headline tour.
Betraying the Martyrs is overall recognized as a deathcore band; which is a hybrid of the genres metalcore and death metal. The band's style is a mixture of different aspects from multiple sub-genres of extreme metal. The band takes the breakdowns, blast beats, and death growls that are main elements in deathcore. They supplement them with clean vocals, choruses, and programming that are key parts in metalcore bands. They also occasionally blend odd time signatures that exist in progressive metal. Keyboards are also used to mimic the orchestral elements that reside in symphonic metal. However, deathcore elements within their music are the most predominant features and thus are primarily seen as a deathcore band.
- Victor Guillet - Keyboards, synthesizer, clean vocals, backing unclean vocals (2008–present)
- Baptiste Vigier - Rhythm guitar (2008–present)
- Valentin Hauser - Bass guitar (2008–present)
- Aaron Matts - Lead vocals (2010–present)
- Lucas D'Angelo - Lead guitar, backing clean and unclean vocals (2010–present)
- Mark Mironov - Drums, percussion (2012–present)
- Touring members
- Christophe De Oliveira - Bass guitar (2011)
- Brendan Perrot - Bass guitar (2012)
- Sydney Taieb - Drums (2012)
- Junior Rodriguez - Drums (2013)
- Nicolas Bastos - Drums (2013)
- Boris Le Gal - Drums (2013)
- Eddie Czaicki - Lead vocals(2008–2010)
- Fabien Clévy - Lead guitar (2008–2010)
- Antoine Salin - Drums (2008–2012)
- Studio albums
- The Hurt the Divine the Light (self-released, 2009)
- "Survivor" (Destiny's Child cover, 2010)
- "Man Made Disaster" (Sumerian/Listenable, 2011)
- "Tapestry of Me" (Sumerian/Listenable, 2011)
|"Tapestry of Me"||2011||Gas Carpenter||Breathe In Life|
|"Man Made Disaster"||Thomas Welsh|
- Voltagemedia: Betraying the Martyrs inks deal with Listenable Records
- lambgoat.com: Sumerian Records signs Betraying The Martyrs
- : 
- Stormbringer.at: Breathe in Life Stormbringer review (German)
- Metal Team UK: Breathe in Life Metal Team UK review
- Lords of Metal: Breathe in Life Lords of Metal review (English/Dutch)
- Metal.de: Breathe in Life Metal.de review (German)
- : 
- RobInjection (17 October 2011). "CARNIFEX, BENEATH THE MASSACRE, WITHIN THE RUINS Tour Europe for Bonecrusher Fest 2012". Metal Injection. Metal Injection LLC. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- "Upon A Burning Body, I The Breather tour dates". LAMBGOAT - hardcore/metal/reviled forum. Lambgoat, LLC. 28 February 2012. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Ryan Minic (9 February 2012). "'European Eclipse 2012' Tour Announced: Veil of Maya, Betraying the Martyrs, Vildhjarta". Ryan's Rock Show. Ryan's Rock Show, LLC. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. "Heaven Shall Burn". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Henderson, Alex. "Burning Skies". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Gorania, Jay H. "Despised Icon - 'Day Of Mourning'". About.com. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Henderson, Alex. "Desolation of Eden". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Bielby, Emily (25 January 2013). "Live: Betraying the Martyrs". Blunt Magazine. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
the evident crowd pleaser [at 2013 Brixton Academy show]