Better as a Memory
|"Better as a Memory"|
|Single by Kenny Chesney|
|from the album Just Who I Am: Poets & Pirates|
|Released||March 31, 2008|
|Kenny Chesney singles chronology|
"Better as a Memory" is the title of a song written by Scooter Carusoe and Lady Goodman, and recorded by American country music singer Kenny Chesney. It was released in March 2008 as the fourth and final single from his album Just Who I Am: Poets & Pirates. Produced by Buddy Cannon, the tune was voted one of NSAI’s “Ten Songs I Wish I’d Written” in November 2008. A two-week #1, it is also the fourteenth number-one hit of Chesney's career, peaking on the chart week of June 28, 2008.
The song was performed with a string quartet on the 2009 Grammy Awards, where he was introduced by Morgan Freeman. Later it became the final performance in the Sony/Hot Ticket theatrical release "Kenny Chesney: Summer in 3-D."
The song is a mid-tempo ballad in which the narrator addresses a lover with whom he is splitting with, but most likely warning her he is not the kind to get deeply involved with. He then lists a series of similes regarding himself (such as "built to fade like your favorite song", and "always sure until I doubt"), ultimately telling her that he is "better as a memory / than as [her] man".
The co-writers of the song are both pseudonymous: Scooter Carusoe is a pseudonym for Travis Hill, founder of Carnival Music, and Lady Goodman is a pseudonym of Holly Gleason, Chesney's publicist and a music critic.
Noted Nashville critic Robert K Oermann wrote <Music Row Magazine>, "...it could be the performance of his life, perhaps his career."
Leeann Ward, reviewing the song for Country Universe, gave it a B- rating. He said the lyrics seem to be somewhat "self-indulgent" but then said that "the production is nice and Kenny’s vocals are spot on." 
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||46|
|US Billboard Pop 100||100|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||61|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||23|
by Carrie Underwood
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
June 28-July 5, 2008
"Back When I Knew It All"
by Montgomery Gentry
- Vercher, Brady (2008-03-19). "Kenny Chesney - "Better as a Memory"". The 9513. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- Coyne, Kevin John (2008-03-24). "Kenny Chesney - "Better as a Memory"". Country Universe. Retrieved 2010-06-17.
- "Kenny Chesney Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Kenny Chesney.
- "Kenny Chesney Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Kenny Chesney.
- "Kenny Chesney Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Kenny Chesney.
- "Best of 2008: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2008. Retrieved December 13, 2008.