Wright Township, Hillsdale County, Michigan
|Wright Township, Michigan|
|• Total||43.5 sq mi (112.6 km2)|
|• Land||43.3 sq mi (112.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||909 ft (277 m)|
|• Density||41.3/sq mi (15.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1627292|
- The village of Waldron is within the township.
- Betzer is an unincorporated community in the west of the township along the boundary with Ransom Township at . The name was derived from Daniel Colbetzer, who became the first postmaster on November 15, 1886. The office continued until December 31, 1901.
- Prattville is an unincorporated community in the northeast of the township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 43.5 square miles (112.6 km²), of which, 43.3 square miles (112.2 km²) of it is land and 0.2 square miles (0.4 km²) of it (0.35%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,788 people, 667 households, and 492 families residing in the township. The population density was 41.3 per square mile (15.9/km²). There were 776 housing units at an average density of 17.9 per square mile (6.9/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.76% White, 0.22% African American, 0.67% Native American, 0.06% Asian, 0.06% from other races, and 1.23% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.01% of the population.
There were 667 households out of which 34.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.7% were married couples living together, 9.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.2% were non-families. 22.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the township the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 28.1% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 12.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 99.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.0 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $36,591, and the median income for a family was $41,563. Males had a median income of $30,428 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,235. About 9.6% of families and 12.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.4% of those under age 18 and 11.0% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Wright Township, Hillsdale County, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Betzer, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Betzer Post Office (historical)
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.