|This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (September 2012)|
Beuchat International, known as Beuchat, is a company that designs, manufactures and markets underwater equipment. It was established in 1934 in Marseille, France.
Beuchat currently has 3 core ranges:
- Scuba diving: recreational diving, professional diving and military diving,
- Spearfishing and freediving,
History from establishment to today
The company was founded in 1934 by Mr. Georges Beuchat, descendant of a Swiss watchmaking family. Georges Beuchat was an underwater pioneer and the co-founder of the French Underwater Federation in 1948.
During its 75 year history, the company has gone by several different names such as: "Pêche Sport", "Beuchat", "Beuchat Sub" and "Beuchat International".
Georges Beuchat sold the company in 1982 to the Alvarez de Toledo family and is now owned by the Margnat family who took over in 2002.
Beuchat is an international company. From the outset Georges Beuchat branched beyond France and began to sell product worldwide. In the 70’s he created the Beuchat swordfish logo, which can still be found on every product.
Beuchat Timeline of Developments
- 1947: Tarzan Speargun
- 1948: Surface Buoy
- 1950: Tarzan camera housing
- 1950: Tarzan Calf cover
- 1953: 1st Isothermic wetsuit
- 1958: Compensator (single-window mask)
- 1960: Espadon nervure fins
- 1963: Tarzan wetsuit
- 1964: Jetfins (1st vented fins. 100,000 units sold in the first few years)
- 1964: Souplair regulator release
- 1975: Marlin speargun
- 1978: Atmos regulator
- 1985: Lyfty ruff buoy
- 1986: Aladin computer distribution
- 1990: Cavalero purchasing
- 1993: Oceane buoy
- 1998: CX1, 1st French diving computer (Comex Algorythm, French Labor Ministry certified)
- 2001: Mundial Spearfishing fins
- 2007: Focea Comfort II wetuist
- 2007: Power Jet fins
- 2008: BCD Masterlift Voyager
- 2009: VR 200 Evolution regulator
- 2009: 75th brand anniversary. Anniversary wetsuit limited edition release.
- 2010: Marlin Revolution speargun - roller gun
Since establishment, Beuchat has led the world in the manufacturer of spearfishing equipment, and has gained numerous National and International titles with competitors such as Pedro Carbonell, Sylvain Pioch, Pierre Roy, Ghislain Guillou and Vladimir Dokuchajev.
Georges Beuchat received the Exportation Award in 1961.
The Scubapro logo: “S” was adapted from the Beuchat “Souplair” regulator.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beuchat International.|