Bexhill and Battle (UK Parliament constituency)
|Bexhill and Battle|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Bexhill and Battle in East Sussex.
Location of East Sussex within England.
|Population||100,727 (2011 census)|
|Electorate||78,602 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Gregory Barker (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
The seat's first MP, Charles Wardle, served as a junior Home Office minister in the government of John Major; Wardle had the Conservative whip removed shortly before the 2001 election. The seat has been held by Gregory Barker since 2001; Barker was a junior minister at the Department for Energy and Climate Change between the formation of the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition after the 2010 general election and the major government reshuffle of July 2014, when he resigned and announced his intention to retire from Parliament at the next general election.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Bexhill and Battle|
|UKIP||Geoffrey Bastin |
|Conservative||Huw Merriman |
|Liberal Democrat||Rachel Sadler |
|Labour||Michelle Thew |
|General Election 2010: Bexhill and Battle|
|Liberal Democrat||Mary Varrall||15,267||28.0||+5.3|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Bexhill and Battle|
|Liberal Democrat||Mary Varrall||11,180||23.9||-0.8|
|General Election 2001: Bexhill and Battle|
|Liberal Democrat||Stephen P. Hardy||11,052||24.7||-0.8|
|Labour||Mrs. Anne E. Moore-Williams||8,702||19.4||+1.3|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Bexhill and Battle|
|Liberal Democrat||Mrs. Kathryn M. Field||12,470||25.5||-3.4|
|Labour||Robert D. Beckwith||8,866||18.1||+8.7|
|Referendum Party||Mrs. Vanessa Thompson||3,302||6.7||N/A|
This constituency underwent boundary changes between the 1992 and 1997 general elections and thus change in share of vote is based on a notional calculation.
|General Election 1992:Bexhill and Battle|
|Liberal Democrat||Ms. Susan M. Prochak||15,023||28.9||+3.0|
|Labour||Frank W. Taylor||4,883||9.4||+1.7|
|Green||Jonathan L. Prus||594||1.1||N/A|
|Independent||Mrs Mary F. Smith||190||0.4||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Bexhill and Battle|
|Social Democratic||R. Kiernan||13,051||25.8||+2.3|
|General Election 1983: Bexhill and Battle|
|Ecology||Miss A. Rix||538||1.2||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Bexhill and Battle: Usual Resident Population, 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 29 January 2015.
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- BBC - Election 2010 - Bexhill & Battle
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 Dec 2010.
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 – 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 – 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1983 – 1992 (Election Demon) (Result is incorrect for 1992)
- Election results, 1992 – 2005 (Guardian)