Bexhill and Battle (UK Parliament constituency)
|Bexhill and Battle|
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Bexhill and Battle in East Sussex.
Location of East Sussex within England.
|Electorate||78,602 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Gregory Barker (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|European Parliament constituency||South East England|
The seat's first MP, Charles Wardle, served as a junior Home Office minister in the government of John Major; Wardle had the Conservative whip removed shortly before the 2001 election. The seat has been held by Gregory Barker since 2001; Barker has been a junior minister at the Department for Energy and Climate Change since the formation of the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition government following the 2010 general election.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2010: Bexhill and Battle|
|Liberal Democrat||Mary Varrall||15,267||28.0||+5.3|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Bexhill and Battle|
|Liberal Democrat||Mary Varrall||11,180||23.9||-0.8|
|General Election 2001: Bexhill and Battle|
|Liberal Democrat||Stephen P. Hardy||11,052||24.7||-0.8|
|Labour||Mrs. Anne E. Moore-Williams||8,702||19.4||+1.3|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Bexhill and Battle|
|Liberal Democrat||Mrs. Kathryn M. Field||12,470||25.5||-3.4|
|Labour||Robert D. Beckwith||8,866||18.1||+8.7|
|Referendum Party||Mrs. Vanessa Thompson||3,302||6.7||N/A|
This constituency underwent boundary changes between the 1992 and 1997 general elections and thus change in share of vote is based on a notional calculation.
|General Election 1992:Bexhill and Battle|
|Liberal Democrat||Ms. Susan M. Prochak||15,023||28.9||+3.0|
|Labour||Frank W. Taylor||4,883||9.4||+1.7|
|Green||Jonathan L. Prus||594||1.1||N/A|
|Independent||Mrs Mary F. Smith||190||0.4||N/A|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Bexhill and Battle|
|Social Democrat||R. Kiernan||13,051||25.8||+2.3|
|General Election 1983: Bexhill and Battle|
|Ecology||Miss A. Rix||538||1.2||N/A|
|Conservative win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]
- BBC - Election 2010 - Bexhill & Battle
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 Dec 2010.
- Election result, 2005 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 – 2001 (BBC)
- Election results, 1997 – 2001 (Election Demon)
- Election results, 1983 – 1992 (Election Demon) (Result is incorrect for 1992)
- Election results, 1992 – 2005 (Guardian)