Beylerbeyi is a neighborhood in the Üsküdar municipality of Istanbul, Turkey. It is located on the Asian shore of the Bosporus, to the north of the Bosphorus Bridge. It is bordered on the northeast by the neighborhood of Çengelköy, on the east by Kirazlıtepe, on the southeast by Küplüce, on the south by Burhaniye, on the southwest by Kuzguncuk, and on the northwest by the Bosporus. Directly across the Bosporus is the Ortaköy neighborhood of Istanbul's Beşiktaş municipality.
Beylerbeyi in Turkish means "Bey of Beys", literally meaning "The Commander of Commanders" or "The Lord of Lords"
The main landmark of the neighborhood is the Ottoman Beylerbeyi Palace. Near the palace are various pavilions or kiosks (köşkler), including the two small seaside pavilions (Yalı Köşkleri), imperial stables (Ahır Köşkü), a "sunken" pavilion (Serdab Köşkü or Mermer Köşk), and a yellow pavilion (Sarı Köşk).
Schools in the neighborhood include the Naval Petty Officers Preparatory School (Deniz Astsubay Hazırlık Okulu), Beylerbeyi Hacı Sabancı High School, Beylerbeyi Elementary School, and Lütfi Ercin Elementary School.
Cultural centers in the neighborhood include the Akbank Beylerbeyi Art Gallery and the Urart Art Center.
Mosques in the neighborhood include the Bostancıbaşı Abdullah Agha Mosque (1581; also known as the İstavroz Mosque), Hamid-i Evvel (Abdul Hamid I) Mosque (1778; also known as the Beylerbeyi Mosque), and Cennet (Heaven) Mosque (1967).
Cemeteries in the neighborhood include the Beylerbeyi Küplüce Cemetery.
- ArchNet. Beylerbeyi Palace. URL: http://www.archnet.org/library/sites/one-site.jsp?site_id=7704 Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- Great Istanbul. Beylerbeyi Neighborhood in Istanbul. URL: http://www.greatistanbul.com/beylerbeyi.htm Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- Lube Ayar. "22 Trilyona Alkışlarla Sabancılar'ın Oldu." Milliyet (newspaper), 13 October 2004. URL: http://www.milliyet.com.tr/2004/10/13/guncel/axgun02.html Retrieved 8 November 2009.
- Üsküdar Müftülüğü (Office of the Üsküdar Mufti). Abdullah Ağa Camii. http://www.uskudarmuftulugu.gov.tr/uploads/files/b.abdullahaga.doc Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- Üsküdar Belediyesi (Municipality of Üsküdar). İstavroz Camii. URL: http://www.uskudar-bld.gov.tr/portal/rehber_/t1.jsp?PageName=rehberAyrinti&ID=1272 Retrieved 2 November 2009.
- Üsküdar Belediyesi. Beylerbeyi Camii. URL: http://www.uskudar-bld.gov.tr/portal/rehber_/t1.jsp/PageName/rehberAyrinti&ID=2680 Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- Üsküdar Müftülüğü. Cennet Camii. URL: http://www.uskudarmuftulugu.gov.tr/uploads/files/cennet.camii.doc Retrieved 1 November 2009.
|This geographical article about a location in Istanbul Province, Turkey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|