Etymology and distribution
The original ethnicity of Bhandari may be in dispute depending on whether the family name came in to being naturally and independently in various locales; e.g. in the case of names that come from a professional trade, which can come into being in multiple places independently. One theory suggests Bhandari comes from Nepali Sanskritam bhạ̄ṇdā(gā)rika ‘treasurer’, ‘keeper of a storehouse’, from bhạ̄ṇdā(gā)ra ‘treasury’ or ‘storehouse’. Alternatively, Bhandari is said to be derived from Marathi world bhạ̄ṇdā, meaning a vessel. Bhandari caste in coastal Maharashtra traditionally engaged in seafaring and ship building and hence derived their name.
The name is also used to denote a barber.
Some of the notable people with Bhandari surname are:
- Binod Bhandari (born 1990), Nepalese cricketer
- Damodar Bhandari, member of 2nd Nepalese Constituent Assembly
- Madan Kumar Bhandari (1952 – 1993), Nepalese politician and communist leader
- Rajendra Bhandari (born 1956), Nepalese poet
- Dictionary of American Family Names, 2013, Oxford University Press
- Bhandari Grooms - Bhandari Boys - Bhandari Groom
- Banerjee-Dube, Ishita (2009). Religion, Law and Power: Tales of Time in Eastern India, 1860-2000. Anthem Press. p. 35. ISBN 978-1-84331-783-8.
|This surname-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|