Bharat Vir Wanchoo
|Bharat Vir Wanchoo|
|Governor of Goa|
4 May 2012 – present
|Preceded by||K Sankaranarayanan|
Wanchoo belongs to the 1976 batch of the Indian Police Service from the West Bengal cadre. He was posted in the Intelligence Bureau when he was asked to join the Special Protection Group set up in 1985 after the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. He has served in various positions in the Special Protection Group since then, and is considered to be close to the Gandhi family. He was transferred out in November 1997 but brought back to the SPG in February 1998 at Sonia Gandhi's request. Wanchoo has alternated between postings in the IB and the SPG where he has served for 13 and 18 years respectively. Wanchoo was appointed Director of the SPG in 2004 for a two year term. He continued in that post till his retirement on 31 October 2011.
Honours and Awards
- "B V Wanchoo to be Goa’s new Governor". Navhind Times. 28 April 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Durga Prasad likely to be new SPG chief; Wanchoo retires". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Bharat Vir Wanchoo is new Goa Governor | newKerala.com, 15224". newkerala.com. 2012. Retrieved 25 May 2012. "The 1976 IPS bath officer"
- "Inside Track". Indian Express. 1 February 1998. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Bharat Vir Wanchoo to be sworn in Goa Governor today". The Hindu. 4 May 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "B.V. WANCHOO WILL BE THE NEW DIRECTOR SPG". Retrieved 7 May 2012.