||It has been suggested that Narayangarh, Chitwan be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since January 2012.|
Bharatpur city view from Maula Kalika temple Gaindakot
|• Type||Bharatpur Municipality|
|• Total||162.2 km2 (62.6 sq mi)|
|Elevation||208 m (682 ft)|
|• Density||890/km2 (2,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Nepal Time (UTC+5:45)|
|Postal code||44200, 44207(Narayangarh)|
Bharatpur (Nepali: भरतपुर) is a city in the central-southern part of Nepal. Located in Chitwan Valley, Bharatpur is the district headquarters of the Chitwan District, as well as a separate Municipal authority, and is the fifth largest city of Nepal with the population of 143,836 (census 2011). Bharatpur is one of the fastest growing cities of Nepal. It lies on the banks of Narayani River and serves as a commercial centre of Chitwan district and central region of Nepal. It is located at the centre of Mahendra (east -west) highway and Kathmandu - Birganj (North-South) road corridor. The proximity of this city from Kathmandu (146 km), Pokhara (126 km), Butwal (114 km), Birganj (128 km), Hetauda (78 km) and Prithivinarayan (Gorkha) (67 km) has augmented the importance of its advantageous geographical location. In addition to good road access, Bharatpur has regular daily air services to Kathmandu and Pokhara.
Most of the shopping area lies in the district of Narayangadh, while government offices, big hospitals and colleges are situated in other parts of the city, including Nepal's premier cancer hospital, B.P Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital. The economy of Bharatpur was traditionally based on agriculture. The agricultural land is gradually converted into the residential and industrial areas. Main industries of Bharatpur are small scale processing industries. A large number of poultry industries have developed in the municipality. It is believed that it covers more than 60% of the total poultry demand of the country. Moreover, this municipality has a substantial volume of poultry products for export trade. Other produce of the city are honey, mushrooms, floriculture, and service industry (education and health). Chitwan is regarded as food surplus district, which is processed in Bharatpur and sold to major cities of the country including Kathmandu and Pokhara. Besides, multinational companies like Coca-Cola, San Miguel are also situated within the city. A large number of business and trading houses are based in the city. The major companies across the country have opened their branches in the city. Its central position along with the crossroads of Bharatpur has enabled it to increase its wholesale and retail trading function.
(Bharatpur is the proposed sub-metro Politian city, the municipality, and district development comity has decided to include interested village Development comity on Bharatpur sub- metro city after that Gitanagar, Phulbari,Mangalpur,Patihani and Shivanagar VDC has been desided to include in Bharatpur, Padampur, Jutpani and Dahkhani VDC of east Chitwan are expected to unit in Bharatpur sub-metro. After included those VDC on the Bharatpur the city-s population will be nearly 400000 and the total house will be 167000 and the total length of the road will nearly 1800 km hospital bed available in the city is nearly 3000 one university (Forest and Agriculture University) and several medical college and other collages will operate for the newly formed sub-metro city.)
- 1 Transportation and communications
- 2 Attractions
- 3 Famous religious and cultural landmarks of Bharatpur
- 4 Fort Palace and landmark buildings
- 5 Educational & institutions
- 6 Hospitals
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Transportation and communications
Bharatpur Airport is in the central part of the city connecting to Kathmandu. Four domestic airlines and one government airline make 7 to 11 flights a day. Mahendra (East West) Highway connects the city to various parts of the country and another highway connects Bharatpur with Kathmandu to the north east and with Birgunj (Birganj) on the border of India to the south. Bus, Micro bus and other land transportation are available to go out of the city, for internal transportation city bus, city micro bus, taxi, rickshaw and car/jeep hiring is available.Hakim Chok and Chaubiskothi, Shahid (martyrs ) Chok, Pul (Bridge) Chok, Bel Chok and Lila Chok are major centres at intersections of major roads.
Communication: Four major local FM radio stations broadcast from Bharatpur. They are "Synergy FM", "Hamro FM", "Radio Triveni", "Radio Chitwan", "Radio Kotagiri", "Kalika music FM", "Kalika FM","Chitwan Online FM" and "Narayani FM". The city also has its own TV channel, called AVASS Television.
Land line telephone services and mobile telephone services are available to the majority of areas. There are multiple private Internet service providers available within the municipality.
Banks: Bharatpur has became a city of Banks and Hospitals. There are more than 40 Banks and Financial Institutions in Narayangadh (centre of Bharatpur).
Bish Hazari (20 thousand) Lake
Bish Hazari (20 Thousand) Lake is in the southern corner of Bharatpur. The lake is very attractive for the bird lovers and serves as an important bird watching centre. The lake area houses lots of crocodiles and thus is equally attractive for the reptile lovers. The lake lies near Chitwan National Park. Bish Hazari Lake lies just 5 km south of the city centre (Chaubiskothi) of Bharatpur. Pandeyghumti is the nearest chok to get to the lake easily. It is in the distance of 1 k.m. from the chok.
Chitwan National Park
Nearby Chitwan National Park is home to one horn rhinos, elephants, royal Bengal tigers, crocodiles, deers and many other wild animals. It is the third largest tourist destination in Nepal after Kathmandu and Pokhara.Hotels of Bharatpur, Nepal and around Bharatpur . It has also been listed in the world heritage list since 2041 B.S.
There are many large and medium sized hotels and lodges near and inside Chitwan National Park. Some of them are Royal Century, Naryani Safari, Chitwan Key Men, Jungle Resort, Jungle Safari and Tiger Top Tesort, Wild life camp etc. Chitwan National Park is also listed as a world heritage site.
The Narayani River flows north to south in the west of Bharatpur. It is the deepest and also one of the biggest rivers of Nepal. The Narayani Bridge over the river connects Chitwan District with Nawalparasi District of Nepal. Small islands, like Nagarban in Narayani river are popular picnic spots.
Rapti River flows east to south west in the south of Bharatpur and makes the northern border of the Chitwan National Park.
Narayangadh is the main shopping area of Bharatpur city, ward no. 1, 2, 3 an 4 areas. It is the main transit point for all the vehicles traveling via east-west East-West Highway and also for the people traveling from Kathmandu, Gorkha, and Pokhara through Mugling road.
Narayangadh has developed into a retail and commercial capital of whole Chitwan district and Bharatpur Municipality. It is also the center of hospitality industry which includes Hotels, Lodges, Restaurants etc. and a transportation hub for Chitwan district.
Famous religious and cultural landmarks of Bharatpur
- Devghat- Devghat is one of the most holy places for Hindus and is located in ward no. 1, on the banks of Narayani and Kali river junction. Various caves and temples of Hindu God and Goddesses are located here. Devghat also holds a very beautiful natural attraction because of the two main and holy rivers. It is just 7 km from the city centre of Bharatpur.
- Ganeshthan Temple (Baseni) is the most famous Hindu temple in Bharatpur and has a very long history. This temple is believed to be constructed by Muni Makunda Sen, King of Palpa in the 15th century, but the modern temple was constructed in 1952 in the period of King Mahendra. This temple is located in Baseni, ward no. 11. Every Tuesday people from different parts of the city visit this temple to worship Lord Ganesh.
- Bageshwari Temple - This temple located in ward no. 2, is also a very old one, believed to be built before Muni Makunda Sen and was renovated by yogi Narahari Nath . Is located in the Devghat area development district, but the area of Bageshwari temple is being used by Bharatpur medical college.
- Harihar Temple (Narayangadh)- Harihar is another name of Hindu God Bishnu. This temple is on the banks of Narayani river.
- Mahakaleshwar Shiva Mandir (Bharatpur -10)- This temple is the only temple of lord shiva around this lacality. This temple is made with many antiques. Along with temple it has 108 shiva linga, havan kunda, hanuman statue, satsang hall, ganesh temple and under construction gauri kund is also present in temple peripheri.
- Kalika temple- Kalika is one of the very powerful Hindu goddess, this temple is in Bharatpur height. This temple is relatively new, built about 15 years ago.
- Jakhadi Mai Temple (Baseni)- This temple is on the eastern corner of the Jungle in ward no. 11 and was constructed around 25 years ago by the locals.
- Durga Temple (Baseni)- Durga Temple was built by the police force within the compound of Police Academy, Bharatpur in 1992.
- Pashupatinath Temple (Mahendra Buspark) Bharatpur- This new temple is on the banks of the Narayani river with very beautiful scenery of Narayani and northern Jungle of Devghat Region. This temple has all the facilities for wedding ceremonies and other religious purposes.
- Rameshwar Temple (Kchetrapur)- This Mahadev temple was built in 1994, is the busiest temple in the city and also serves people through a health post and library.
- Maula Kalika:- Located on Maula hill in Gaindakot town, next to Narayani River.
Fort Palace and landmark buildings
- Upardanghari fort:- It is in the old headquarters of Chitwan district and is believed to be made by Satrubhanjan Sah, son of Prince Bahadur Sah to defend newly founded Kingdom in the 17th century. It is located on the top of a hill and overlooks a very nice natural scenery.
- Kasrra Durbar(Palace):- Is an old palace made by Rana Regime inside the Chitwan National Park. Now it is being used as an office of National park and also hosts a museum.
- Diyalo Bangala Palace (Aptari Bharatpur):- This was the spring season palace used by the Saha Dynasty of Nepal. This palace was built by late king Mahendra to rest during winter season. It is located on the banks of Narayani river in ward no. 2.
- DAO Building Bharatpur :- This long and attractive old building was built in the period of shifting the headquarters from Upardanghadhi. Now is used as an office of chief district officer.
- Bharatpur Covered hall:- Hall in guesthouse of Bharatpur for indoor games.
Educational & institutions
- Birendra Multiple Campus - The oldest campus of the city, which is located in the heart of the city, Bharatpur heights. This campus has played a vital role on the higher education history of Chitwan.
- Agriculture and forestry university - The agriculture institution under Tribhuvan University (Rampur) (agriculture campus) is the main institution in the fields of agriculture and veterinary science in Nepal. Occupying a huge area, this campus is now declared as a university.
- Balkumari College - This campus is located near the Narayangadh Bharatpur Height and is the first public college in the city.
- Saptagandaki Multiple Campus - It is the largest public campus in the city and is in Dipendranagar ward no. 10, Bharatpur. The Chairperson of Board of Director is Ms Shobha Kattel. The Campus Chief is Mr Ram Prakash Adhikari and Assistant Campus Chiefs are Mr Maniraj Mahato, Mr Nandalal Paudel and Mr Binod Khanda Timilsena.The number of teachers are about 85 and supporting staffs are about 25.The students enrollment in the college is about 3500. 
- Bharatpur college of Medical sciences - This 700 bed teaching hospital is situated in Dipendranagar, Bharatpur.
- Apex Educational Academy- is Higher Sec. School which is located in Bharapur-2,Khetrapur Chitwan.
- Shree Medical and Technical College (SMTC): Affilitated to Purbanchal University and CTEVT . This college is currently running B.Pharma, B.Sc Nursing, BN, BPH, Pcl Nursing, CMLT courses. It is located at Bharatpur-12 near coca cola factory.
- Indreni College - This college is located in Bharatpur-11, Muktinagar, Chitwan and this is the only private college in Chitwan to launch B. Sc. CSIT (Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Information Technology. Mr. Keshav Raj Sapkota is the Principal and Mr. Ramesh Neupane is the programme co-ordinator.
- Siddhartha English Secondary Boarding School - This a three floor school.
- Chitwan Health Foundation and Research Center (CHFRC)*
Established in 2063 B.S as the nursing School of Chitwan Hospital and Health Foundation Pvt. Ltd, Chitwan Health Foundation and Research Center (CHFRC) situated at Bharatpur 10 Chitwan, is one of the pioneer educational institutions of this region catering the health related education and hospital services to the community of Chitwan region and the mid-zone territory. With existing demand of health human resources of the country, society and people, Chitwan Health Foundation and Research Center (CHFRC) was established in affiliation with CTEVTE. The college is currently running PCL Medical Laboratory Technology and PCL Nursing. Mr. J.N.Thapaliya is the chairman, Mr. sambhu Prasad Subedi Director of CHHFRC and Mr. Deepak Subedi is the Programme Co-ordinator of PCL Medical Laboratory Technology.
- Bharatpur Pilot training school - Nepal’s first and the only private (the movement school is under Nepal Army Air Battery) pilot training school is in Bharatpur, which provides a Private Pilot License and a Commercial Pilot License, after the completion of the 4 month and 10 month courses respectively.
- Maiya Devi Girls College(Dhivy G College) - This campus specially for girls education is in Dipendranagar, Bharatpur.
- Chitwan Medical College and Research Centre - This newly opened medical college with a teaching hospital is located in the heart of the city Dipendranagar, Bharatpur.
- Aroma English Higher Secondary School is one of the renowned private school with 10+2 in Bharatpur established on 2054.[clarification needed]
- Prerana Higher Secondary School,-Prerana Secondary English Boarding School was founded in Bharatpur in 2046.[clarification needed] The school has been providing education up to secondary level since then. It launched 10+2 program in science stream from 2065 onward.
- SOS Hermann Gmeiner Higher Sec. School-This is a newly established science college specially for the orphans and also for the needy students only after being qualified through series of criterion.
- Others - Chitwan Science College and Orchid Science College are private +2 colleges in Chitwan. Apex academy (Kshetrapur), Presidency college( near Bharatpur height), Shanti Academy college(Bharatpur), Xavier college (Bel chowk), Sahid smritimultiple Campus, crystal college(Ratnanagar)Nepal higher secondary school(Ratnanagar) also hold significant number of students.
- Oxford college of engineering and management, Gaindakot, based on bank of Narayani River. It offers courses like BBA, BCA,BE etc.
- Chitwan Hotel Training Center, Bharatpur-10, Chitwan
- Presidency College Of Management Science(PCMS), is located near bharatpur height. it is ranked as 4th best institute in Management over the Nepal and ranked as 1st institute outside Kathmandu valley By Business Age magazine.
- Bharatpur Government Hospital (formerly known Mahendra Adarsh Chiktsalya) -is the most busiest and the second large Government Hospital (after Bir Hospital Kathmandu) operating with more then 700 bed capacity, this hospital was started by the American aid during the malaria controlling program operated by the US government on the request of let king Mahendra of Nepal .
- Chitwan Medical College (CMC) Teaching Hospital - This new University hospital is in the heart of Bharatpur-10, Chitwan. This hospital is providing all types of medical facilities.
- Bharatpur Eye Hospital - This hospital is also located in Dipendranagar. With 25 bed capacity, it provides all type of services related to eye problem.
- B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital - This hospital was established with the help of the Government of People's Republic of China in 1994, with all cancer treatment facilities this is the meager cancer treatment institution in the country. This hospital is named after B.P. Koirala, the democratic leader and the first elected prime minister of Nepal.This hospital is situated at Krishnapur, Bharatpur.
- College of Medical Science (CMS) Teaching Hospital - This is the teaching hospital of Bharatpur medical college with 700 beds. It is providing all sorts of medical services to the locals, occasionally treating them.
- Narayani Community Hospital - This is a relatively new hospital and is located in the heart of the city, Chaubishkothi with 150 beds.
- Other important hospitals and nursing homes are Asha Hospital, Manakamana Hospital, Janasewa Hospital, Chitwan Hospital, Bharatpur Community hospital Pvt. Ltd., Om Hospital, Lok Sewa Pharmacy, Shanti hospital etc.