Bhargavas had their descent from the ancient rishis (sages) Bhrigu and Chyavana. Bhrigu Rishi had contributed to many Sanskrit Holy books like Rigved, Taittiriya Upanishad, Manusmriti, Bhrigu Samhita etc. He is a revered saint in Vedic Sanatana Dharma and has several mentions in epic Mahabharat and various Puranas. He was contemporary of veteran Rishi Manu, considered to be a flood figure 10,000 years ago and had lived in the Vedic state of 'Brahmavarta' near Dhosi Hill. As per 'Bhargava Jati Ka Itihas', by religious historian, Dr. P.L.Bhargava, Parashuram was in the 39th generation of Bhrigu and was a contemporary of Bhagwan Ram Chandra and period of epic Ramayana. Parashuram was known as this, because he was carrying a 'farsa' all the time. Parashuram is also known as 'Bhargava Rama'.
The oldest known inscription mentioning the Dhusar community is at the Sakrai Mata temple in Sakrari in district Sikar that is dated by D.C. Sarkar to 879 AD, although it is dated by others to 642 A.D.
After a call from Adi Shankara during 840 AD, many Bhargavas took the appointments of 'Rajpurohits' with different ruling dynasties, mainly of Rajputs. Delhi, ruled by King Kumarpala had his 'Rajpurohit', Shyam Chandra from Qutabpur in Rewari. His descendants continued to be Rajpurohits of Delhi up to the year 1192 AD., the rule of Rajput King Prithvi Raj Chauhan, when his Rajpurohit was Priti Chandra of the same clan. Rule of Prithvi Raj Chauhan ended in 1192 AD when he was defeated by invader Muhammad Ghori.
They have a well-established community associations, the Bhargava Sabha, that operates in various cities under an umbrella association, the All India Bhargava Sabha, that is presently located at Gurgaon in Haryana. There are around 37 of these Bhargava Sabhas[full citation needed] The All India Bhargava Sabha was established in 1890.[full citation needed]
- Dr. Puroshottam Lal Bhargava, Former Professor, Department of Religious Studies, Macmaster University, Hamilton, Canada, "Bhargava Jati Ka Itihas", 1989, page 8,
- "Bhargava Jati Ka Itihas", page 8
- रतन लाल मिश्र:शेखावाटी का नवीन इतिहास, मंडावा, १९९८, पृ.३११-३१२
- The Archaeology of Seafaring in Ancient South Asia, Himanshu Prabha Ray, p.283
- M.L.Bhargava, "Hemu and His Times" (Afghans Vs Mughals), Reliance Publishing House, New Delhi p. 170
- M.L.Bhargava, "Hemu and His Times", page 171
- Hemu and His Times, page 172
- People of India Uttar Pradesh Volume XLII Part One edited by A Hasan & J C Das pages 272 to 277 Manohar Publications
- Souvenir, "All India Bhargava Sabha' issued at Bikaner, 25-27 Dec 2011
- Constitution, All India Bhargava Sabha
Bhargava may refer to:
- Bhargava Reddyrajula (born 1991), League Manager at Sports195 in Begumpet