|Bhatkal - ಭಟ್ಕಳ - بهٹکل|
|City - Historical Place|
|• Type||Town Municipal Council|
|• Total||5.32 km2 (2.05 sq mi)|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|• Density||6,075.33/km2 (15,735.0/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Bhatkal (Kannada: ಭಟ್ಕಳ, ಭಟಕಳ ( Bhatkala, In Kannanda)), Ibn Battuta( famous Moroccan Traveler's) describes "Bad-E-Qillah" also known as 'Batecala' in some Portuguese historical texts, is a port town in Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka, India. The town of Bhatkal lies on NH-17 running between Mumbai and Kochi and is one of the major railway stations along the Konkan Railway line running between Mumbai and Mangalore. The closest airport is Mangalore International Airport.
According to Famous Moroccan traveler's Ibn Battuta (1307-1377), "Bad-E-Qillah" (Bhatkal) was place Nawath Muslim & Jain town located near Arabian sea, there was Nawath ruler near Sharavathi river in Bhatkal's location, although very strategic, was the main factor behind the country's erratic history. Bhatkal witnessed the rise and fall of several dynasties and rulers. Bhatkal was a part of the Hoysala empire from 1291 to 1343 before falling into the hands of the Vijayanagara empire. After the disintegration of the latter, the much coveted town of Bhatkal was brought under the control of the Saluva (Jain) rulers of Hadwalli (a town on the State Highway towards Jog Falls). Numerous temples and basadis were constructed during the Saliva's reign. Vestiges of this period can be found in Mudbhatkal, where a few temples still stand as an old witness of that era. Chola emperors under Aditya I, his son Parantaka I and successor Sundara Chola also known as Parantaka Chola II initially invaded and conquered territories in the Kannada country between Gangavadi on the Mysore plateau and Bhatkal on the Sahyadri coast during 880-975 AD. As a sign of their victory in Kannada country, they built the Solesvara Temple in commemoration of their conquest. Inscriptions from successive kings from Parantaka Chola I to Kulothunga Chola III mention their generals as 'Lords of the Konkana' which included Bhatkal and of paying obeisance to Lord Solesvarar of Konkana. The Portuguese also made their presence felt here in the beginning of the 16th century. From the Keladi rulers, Bhatkal was passed on to Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan and later to the British Empire in 1799 after the death of Tipu Sultan.
Bhatkal is located at  It has an average elevation of 3 metres (10 ft) above sea level..
As of 2011 India census, Bhatkal had a population of approximately 49,730. Males constitute 50% of the population and females constitute 50%. Bhatkal has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 88% and female literacy of 78%. 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The local economy depends mostly on tourism and fishing.
Bhatkal is represented in the Member of the Legislative Assembly (India). Menekal Vidha, who was elected as the MLA from Bhatkal Constituency from independent candidates, was born in Bhatkal Taluk.
Tourism and Cuisine
Bhatkal has been quite a hustling tourist spot mainly because of the Murudeshwar temple, the Shiva statue, basadis and its beaches. Jog Falls are 100 km away from the town. The place has been attracting a wide range of tourists to this place. As far as cuisine is concerned it is broad ranged because of amalgamation of different cultures. The Bhatkali biryani is one of the famous cuisines. The Bhatkal town is connected by National Highway 17 (NH-17) to Udupi and Mangalore from the south, and Honnavar, Kumta, and district headquarters Karwar, from the north. There is a railway station at Bhatkal on the Konkan railway route. Nethravni gundi is well known for biological and marine species. And also there are many Temples, Mosques, and Churches.
Beaches: Jali Beach, Bandar Beach, Haddin Beach, Mundalli Beach, and Belke Beach.
Islands: Nethravani Gundi (6–9 km).
Hill station: Marukere and Hadavalli (4–8 km).
Water falls: Kannigundi falls (4–5 km) and Gandhi falls.
Light Houses: Bandar (4–5 km).
Dam: Kadvinkattu dam (artificial, 4–5 km).
Temples: Murdeshwara Temple, Marikamba Temple, Sodigadhe Temple, and Kadvinkattu Temple.
Masjid:Jamia Masjid(Chennan Pali/ Gold Mosque), Sultan Masjid (Originally Build by Tipu Sulatan), Masjid-e-Milya, Mushma Masjid
Hotels: The kawality Hotel, the Srinivasa Deluxe, Hotel City Lights, the Chillies Hotel, and the T.F.C. Hotel.
- Anjuman Nursery and Primary School
- Anjuman Azad Primary School
- Anjuman Noor Primary School
- Anjuman Boys High School
- Anjuman Girls High School
- Anjuman Girls High School, Navayath Colony
- Anjuman Arts, Science & Commerce College
- Anjuman Degree College and P.G. Center
- Anjuman Pre-University College for Women
- Anjuman College for Women
- Anjuman Engineering College
- Anjuman Institute of Management
- Anjuman Institute of Technology and Management
- Anjuman Institute of Technology and Management, Bhatkal
- Islamia Anglo Urdu High School
- Iqra Boys English Medium High School, Murdeshwar
- Iqra Girls English Medium High School, Murdeshwar
- The New English Pre-University college
- Shree Guru Sudhindra College
- Shree Guru Sudhindra BBA & BCA College
- Shree Jnaaneshwari College of Education (B.Ed)
- Shree Jnaaneshwari College of Education (M.Ed)
- Shree Durgaparameshwari High School Alvekodi
- H.H. Swami Parijnanashram College of Education (D.Ed)
- Vidyanjali Public School (CICSE Syllabus), Bhatkal
- Vidyabharati English Medium School, Bhatkal
- Anand Ashram Convent High Schoo,l Bhatkal
- Anand Ashram Convent English Medium Primary School
- Jantha Vidyalya Kannada School, Murdeshwar
- Karavali High School
- House of Romeo Juje Dsouza at Bailur
- R N Shetty Rural Polytechnic, Murdeswara
- R N Shetty Pre University Collage, Murdeshwar
- R N Shetty Nursing Collage, Murdeshwar
- Janatha Vidyalaya Highschool, Murdeshwar
- Viswabharathi Highschool, Bengre
- Jamia Islamia, Bhatkal
- Govt Primary School Muttalli, Bhatkal
- Iqra English Nursery and Primary School, Murdeshwar
- Jamia Maktab
- Zangi Girls High School
- The New English School
- New Model Urdu School, National Colony, Murdeshwar
- Model Boys Urdu School, Murdeshwar
- Model Girls Urdu School, Murdeshwar
- National Girls Urdu Medium High School, Murdeshwar
- National Boys Urdu Medium High School, Murdeshwar
- National Girls English Medium High School, Murdeshwar
- National Boys English Medium High School, Murdeshwar
- Joyland Anand Ashram Play Home
- Naunihaal Central School
- Navayath Colony School
- Kausar College For Women
- Jamiatus Salihat
- National Nursery and Primary School, Murdeshwar
- National Pre-University College for Women, Murdeshwar
- Shams Nursery and Primary School
- Shams English Medium High School
- Ali Public School
- Bhatkal Town Municipal Council
- Bhatkal Town Classified
- All About Bhatkal Town
- Anjuman Institute of Technology and Management
- News, Audio and Photos from Bhatkal
- Bhatkal news Website
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Bhatkal
- "Bhatkal Assembly Constituency Page - News, Details, Mandals, Parties Performance, Voting Trendz, Election Results,MLA, MP,MPTC, ZPTC Election Results". partyanalyst.com. Retrieved 2014-04-18.