ಭಟ್ಕಳ / भट्कल्
|• Total||5.32 km2 (2.05 sq mi)|
|Elevation||3 m (10 ft)|
|• Total||110,000 |
|• Density||6,075.33/km2 (15,735.0/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Bhatkal (Kannada: ಭಟ್ಕಳ), also known as Batecala in some Portuguese historical texts is a port town in Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka, India. Once ruled by Jain King Bhattakalanka and thus the name, Bhatkal town lies on NH-17 running between Mumbai and Kochi and is one of the major stations along the Konkan Railway line running between Mumbai and Mangalore. The nearest airport is Mangalore International Airport.
By virtue of its strategic location, Bhatkal has a chequered history. Bhatkal witnessed the rise and fall of several dynasties and rulers. A part of Hoysala empire in 1291 to 1343, Bhatkal later fell into the hands of the Vijayanagara empire. After the disintegration of the empire, the Saluva (Jain) rulers of Hadwalli (a town on the State Highway towards Jog Falls) brought this coveted town under their control. Many temples and basadis were constructed during this period. Vestiges of this period can be found in Mudbhatkal, where a few temples of that era still stand.
Chola emperors under Aditya I, his son Parantaka I and successor Sundara Chola also known as Paranta Chola II initially inavaded and conquered territories in the Kannada country between Gangavadi on the Mysore plateau and Bhatkal on the Sahyadri coast 880-975 AD. The Cholas invaded Bhatkal during 10th century. As a sign of their victory in Kannada country, they built Solesvara Temple, believed to be the oldest temple, in commemoration of their conquest. Inscriptions from successive kings from Parantaka Chola I to Kulothunga Chola III mention their generals as 'Lords of the Konkana' which included Bhatkal and of paying obesience to Lord Solesvarar of Konkana(**). The Portuguese also made their presence felt here in the beginning of the 16th century. From the Keladi rulers, Bhatkal was passed on to Hyder Ali and Tipu Sultan and later to the British in 1799 after Tipu Sultan died.
Bhatkal is located at  It has an average elevation of 4 metres (13 ft)..
As of 2011 India census, Bhatkal had a population of approximately 110,000. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Bhatkal has an average literacy rate of 83%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 88% and female literacy of 78%. 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The Muslim Nawayath are predominant in Bhatkal. The people of Bhatkal are typically called "Bhatkalis" and have since the 1960s spread afar, including UK, America, Australia but more so across the Middle East especially Bahrain,the UAE, Oman, Qatar, Saudi. Kannada is the predominant language of the people of Bhatkal. Konkani is also spoken in Bhatkal town. Even many urdu speakers are found. Nawayathi which is the Mixture of Konkani, Persian, Arabic and Urdu is the most widely spoken language of the town by Nawayath Muslims.
The Bhatkal Nawayath is known as owned business like Garment showroom, House material, Real Estate, Hotel, Super Market, Construction Business, Other Engineering Industries, Whole Seller of Import item, Travel.etc. Azad Nagar area is regarded as Best residential area in Bhatkal town. Many Sports & Educational clubs including ANFA & Cosmos have left their mark in a state.
The economy of Bhatkal is very powerful, most of the people are involved in large,medium and small businesses.The local economy is also dependent on tourism and fishing
Tourism and Cuisine
Bhatkal has been quite a hustling tourist spot mainly because of Murudeshwar temple, world renowned Shiva statue and beaches. There is another tourist spot Jog Falls which is 100 km away from town. The place has been attracting a wide range of tourists to this place. As far as cuisine is concerned its widely large because of amalgamation of different cultures. The Bhatkali biryani is one of the famous cuisine. The Bhatkal town is connected by National Highway 17 (NH-17) to Udupi and Mangalore in south direction and Honnavar, Kumta and district headquarters Karwar in north direction. There is a railway station at Bhatkal on Konkan railway route.
- Dr Malpa Ali (Founder and president Jamia Islamia Bhatkal)
- Kazia Mohammed Muzammil
- Arfa Ekkeri: Chairman and Managing director at Ck Enterprises
- Aftab Kola : Editor, Times of Oman
- A.K.Hafizka(Late) : Indian Ambassador - Saudi Arabia 1977, MLA of Bombay, President - BPCC
- Amber Kobatte : Joint MD :Shifa Nursing Home & Hospitals P Ltd, BDM-South Asia :American Garden_GEMCO,Newyork,USA.
- Yunus Kazia: a business mogul
- CA Khalil : Group Executive Director – I&M Galadari Group
- Ubaid Askeri : MD, Elsons
- Hassan Wajid Qazia (Store's Manager/Incharge QFV Bangalore)
- Abdul Mateen Ekkeri : MD and chairman, Amtek Industries
- Saud S. M. : CEO,Mohtesham Builders
- Muzakkir Askeri : MD, Laza Plaza
- Shabandari Patel Farooque- MD :Shifa Nursing Home & Hospitals P Ltd, President: West Coast NRI Forum, Business Man-KSA
- Mr FA Riyaz Jakti : MD,[disambiguation needed] Jakti travels
- Ismail Hasan Damudi
- Zakwan Sada
- Mohammed Safwan Sada
- Anjuman Nursery and Primary School
- Anjuman Azad Primary School
- Anjuman Noor Primary School
- Anjuman Boys High School
- Anjuman Girls High School
- Anjuman Girls High School, Navayath Colony
- Anjuman Arts, Science & Commerce College
- Anjuman Degree College and P G Center.
- Anjuman Pre-University College for Women
- Anjuman College for Women
- Anjuman Engineering College
- Anjuman Institute of Management
- Anjuman Institute of Technology and Management|Anjuman Institute of Technology and Management, Bhatkal
- Islamia Anglo Urdu High School
- Shams Nursery and Primary School
- Shams English Medium High School
- Ali Public School
- The New English Pre-University college
- Shree Guru Sudhindra College
- Shree Guru Sudhindra BBA & BCA College
- Shree Jnaaneshwari College of Education (B.Ed)
- Shree Jnaaneshwari College of Education (M.Ed)
- Shree Durgaparameshwari High School Alvekodi
- H.H. Swami Parijnanashram College of Education (D.Ed)
- Vidyanjali Public School (CICSE Syllabus) Bhatkal
- Vidyabharati English Medium School Bhatkal
- Anand Ashram Convent High School Bhatkal
- Anand Ashram Convent English Medium Primary School
- Joyland Anand Ashram Play Home.
- Naunihaal Central School
- Navayath Colony School
- Kausar College For Women
- Jamiatus Salihat
- Jamia Maktab
- Zangi Girls High School
- The New English School
- Karavali High School
- House of Romeo Juje Dsouza at Bailur
- R N Shetty Rural Polytechnic Murdeswara
- R N Shetty Pre University Collage Murdeshwar
- R N Shetty Nursing Collage Murdeshwar
- Janatha Vidyalaya Highschool Murdeshwar
- Viswabharathi Highschool Bengre
- Jamia Islamia, Bhatkal
- Govt Primary School Muttalli, Bhatkal
- Bhatkal Town Municipal Council
- Anjuman Institute of Technology and Management
- Bhatkal news Website
- www.sahilonline.org Website
- Bhatkal.co Website
- Bhatkal.org Website
- Bhatkal.info Website