Bhawanipur Education Society College
|Bhawanipur Education Society College|
Bhawanipur Education Society College (or BES College) is an undergraduate college affiliated with the University of Calcutta in Kolkata, India. It is a private co-educational college. It is located at 5, Lala Lajpat Rai Sarani (Elgin Road) of Bhowanipore area of Kolkata.
The college was started in 1966 for boys and girls by the efforts and donation of money and land by Gujarati community living in Kolkata. The land where the college stands now was donated by Amritlal Ojha, an industrialist and coal-mines owner. The five-storied building was constructed with major donations from other city-based Gujarati industrialists and businessman. A privately held trust was made with donations exclusively from the donations of Gujarati community of city and outside and the college is managed through this trust. It grew out of a school named J. J. Ajmera High School, established in 1928, which became a secondary school in 1958 and later a higher secondary School was founded in 1960 run by the same trust. The college was known as Bhawanipur Gujarati Education Society College (BGES College) but since 2002, the word Gujarati has been dropped and it is known as the Bhawanipur Education Society College. However, the popular name is Bhawanipur College.
Established by Gujaratis, a linguistic minority in West Bengal, it enjoys protection under Article 30 (1) of the constitution of India. Meant for educating boys and girls of the Gujarati Community, it has, over the years opened its doors to all eligible students, irrespective of caste, creed, religion or language.
Today there are over 7000 students.
The following degrees are offered by the college:
A sister unit of the college The Bhawanipur Design Academyruns vocational courses in Design Fundamentals, Fashion, Interior, and Textile Design, and also Creative Art, Modelling, Personality Development and Foreign languages including French, Spanish, Chinese, etc.
- Nalin Bhai Patel
- Ivy Das Gupta, Professor of Economics.
- Purba Roy Choudhury, Lecturer on Economics.
- P. Dutta Gupta.
- Dilip Sanghvi, noted Gujarati industrialist.
- Nicolette Bird, actress and model
- Bipasha Basu, Bollywood actress
- Archana Vijaya, video jockey
- Jeet, Tollywood action film hero
- Nusrat Jahan, Tollywood actress
- Soumasri Ganguly, model and wife of Rahul Mahajan
- Multiple Career Choices By Devajit Bhuyan. p. 112.
- The BES College was founded in 1966 by the Gujarati Society, Calcutta.
- Universities handbook: India, Volume 26. 1995. p. 217.
- The Bhawanipur Education Society College, Elgin Road, Kolkata
- The Bhawanipur Gujarati Education Society, grew out of the Bhawanipur Gujarati School (founded 1928), the Secondary School (1958) and the Higher Secondary School (1960) BES College in (1966).
- The Bhawanipur Design Academy
- Obitury, The Telegraph, Calcutta, 24 June 2001|Noted Gujarati language professor and lecturer and Principal of Bhawanipur Education Society College for almost four decades.
- The Economic Impacts of Natural Disasters – Page xi, 2013
- MANAGERIAL ECONOMICS – Page iii, 1978
- Growth, Distribution and Public Policy: A Study of West Bengal – Page vii, 2007
- Indian Science Abstracts , Volume 35 by Indian National Scientific Documentation Centre., 1999; pp 3