Biju Patnaik International Airport
|Biju Patnaik International Airport
ବିଜୁ ପଟ୍ଟନାୟକ ଅନ୍ତର୍ଜାତୀୟ ବିମାନ ବନ୍ଦର
|IATA: BBI – ICAO: VEBS|
|Owner/Operator||Airports Authority of India|
|Location||Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India|
|Opened||17 April 1998|
|Elevation AMSL||138 ft / 42 m|
|Statistics (Apr '13 - Mar '14)|
|Source: AAI |
Biju Patnaik International Airport (IATA: BBI, ICAO: VEBS), also known as Bhubaneswar Airport, is situated in the city of Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India. It is the sole international airport in the state. It is named after the former Chief Minister of Odisha, Biju Patnaik, who was also a famed aviator and freedom fighter. As of 2013, Bhubaneswar was ranked the 17th busiest airport in India by the Airports Authority of India (AAI) registering a 1.82% traffic growth over the previous year. On 5 March 2013, a new terminal (T1) was inaugurated by Minister of Civil Aviation, Ajit Singh. The terminal caters to all domestic flights while the older terminal (T2) has been refurbished to support impending international operations. The Government of India accorded international status to the airport on 30 October 2013.
- 1 Terminals
- 2 Airlines and destinations
- 3 Airport Services
- 4 Accolades
- 5 Ground transportation
- 6 Events organised
- 7 Incidents and accidents
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
The state-of-the-art terminal, inaugurated in March 2013, has a capacity of 4 million passengers per annum and was built at a cost of Rs 145 crore. The new terminal has been developed by the (AAI) as part of the upgrade of 35 non-metro airports across the country. Terminal T1, a two-storied building with a total area of 18,240 square metres (196,300 sq ft), consists of 2 aerobridges, 4 elevators, several escalators, 16 check-in counters, 3 arrival luggage conveyors, a spa, and seating areas. It has many lounges like Pal Heights Spa Lounge, Mayfair Lounge and VIP Lounges apart from the Departure and Arrival Lounges. The terminal is environment friendly, built according to green building standards, with provision for rain water harvesting, sewage treatment plants, etc. The internal walls of the terminal are decorated with tribal motifs, designs, masks, and sculptures, giving travellers a glimpse of Odisha's rich culture. The new terminal also has food kiosks, gift shops, book shops, handloom, art galleries and handicraft kiosks. The terminal was built by Lanco Infratech (Octamec).
As of 2014, the airport is planned to start international operations after the 2014 Indian General Elections, connecting the city to Southeast Asia and the Middle East. The Terminal T1 is being used for domestic flights, while the international terminal (T2) is renovated and ready to handle international operations. The airport received its first international charter jet from Spain on 3 May 2014 carrying 12 Spanish members. The airport received its second international charter jet from Luton Airport, London carrying 19 passengers on 28 May 2014. Currently four international carriers have shown interest to start operations to Bangkok Thai Smile, Dubai Flydubai, Qatar Qatar Airways and Singapore Tigerair once the airport is ready to start international operations.
Airlines and destinations
|Air India (AI)||Chennai, Delhi, Mumbai|
|Air India Regional (9I)||Port Blair |
|GoAir (G8)||Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Goa, Jaipur, Jammu, Kochi, Delhi, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Srinagar (Begins 26 October 2014) |
|IndiGo (6E)||Bangalore, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Mumbai, Visakhapatnam |
Non Scheduled Airlines
|Air Odisha||Angul, Jeypore, Jharsuguda, Rourkela, Sambalpur (Begins October 2014) |
- Canara Airport Cafeteria
- Mayfair Hotels & Resorts
- National Aviation Company of India Ltd. (NACIL)
- Pal Heights
- Airports Authority of India awarded Biju Patnaik International Airport in Bhubaneswar as AAI's Best Airport in India jointly with Trivandrum International Airport in Thiruvananthapuram for the period of January–July 2012.
- Biju Patnaik International Airport was adjudged The Best Airport in India based on Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) for 2012-13. The Airport achieved the highest CSI for 2 years for providing user friendly services to passengers and other stakeholders. It shared the first prize with Jodhpur Airport.
- Biju Patnaik International Airport was ranked The Best Airport of India for the second time in the period from January–June 2013 by Airports Authority of India based on the Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI). Biju Patnaik Airport in Bhubaneswar shared the award with Lal Bahadur Shastri Airport in Varanasi.
- Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar was awarded CSR Kalinga Safety Award at Odisha State Safety Conclave 2014, on September 26, 2014. 
Biju Patnaik Airport is situated around 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) south of the city center. It is connected by Bhubaneswar City Bus (Route 207 Nandankanan - Airport) and other luxury coach buses to the city. The Bhubaneswar railway station is 2 – 3 km far from the airport. The airport has a facility of prepaid taxis. A new road connecting airport to the Ekamra Marg has been constructed as a part of the modernisation program, reducing journey time. 
- Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar celebrated World Tourism Day in association with Airports Authority of India, India Tourism and Odisha State Tourism Department. The theme for 2014 was “Tourism and Community Development, focusing on the ability of tourism to empower people and provide them with skills to achieve change in their local communities”. 
- Biju Patnaik International Airport organised a day long blood donation camp at Recreational Club House of Airports Authority of India in Bhubaneswar 
- Biju Patnaik International Airport authority organized workshop on Soft Skills & Better Communication on 22nd August 2014 at Terminal 2 of the Airport. Shri Himansu Das, CEO, HD Travels and Vice President of Travel Agents Association of Odisha, was invited as the Guest Lecturer to the workshop. 
- The Biju Patnaik International Airport organised an event, "Diabetes Awareness Drive" where free health check-up camp was set up by Med Plus, KIDS Multi Speciality Hospital, Rabindra Surgicals Pvt. Ltd., National Research Institute of Ayurvedic Drug Development (CCRAS) and Aditya Care Hospital for increasing the awareness of the passengers and the airport staff towards better health, life style, and gain knowledge about causes, symptoms and treatments of diabetes. 
- The Biju Patnaik International Airport celebrated "World Environment Day" on 5 June 2014 with a drawing competition held earlier. 
- The Biju Patnaik International Airport organised a week long yoga camp in association with Patanjali Yog Peeth of Bhubaneswar. 
Incidents and accidents
- On 22 December 2007, an Indian Air Force plane from the Surya Kiran team crash landed on the runway of Biju Patnaik Airport. One passenger caught fire while three others were safely taken out.
- "Pilot information for Biju Patnaik Airport". ourairports.com. 2012. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "New terminal at Bhubaneswar airport starts operations". Business Standard. 14 March 2013. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Centre accords international tag to Bhubaneswar airport". The Times of India. 31 October 2013.
- Singha, Minati (5 March 2013). "International airport to take off by June". Times of India. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Barik, Bibhuti (8 August 2011). "March date for swanky airport". The Telegraph (Calcutta, India). Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- Barik, Bibhuti (24 June 2011). "Airport work speeds up - Capital set for take-off in style". The Telegraph (Calcutta, India). Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "New terminal at Bhubaneswar airport thrown open". Times of India. 6 March 2013. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- Ramanath V, Riyan (5 February 2013). "Plans to provide spa facilities at airport". Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "Lanco Infratech bags Rs 92 cr order from AAI". Business Standard. 4 June 2010. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "Polls delay international flight take off from city". The Times of India. 20 April 2014. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- "International terminal at city airport by April: Union Minister". The Pioneer. 21 September 2012. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- "New city airport terminal gets 1st flight". The Pioneer. 15 March 2013. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- "Odisha: First International Flight Operated From Biju Patnaik International Airport". 5 May 2014. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Odisha: Second International Flight Operated From Biju Patnaik International Airport". 28 May 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2014.
- "Summer Schedule Air India 2014". Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Summer Schedule Alliance Air 2014". Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "GoAir Flight Schedule". Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- "Summer Schedule IndiGo 2014". Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "Air Odisha ready to take off". Retrieved 8 October 2014.
- "Bhubaneswar's Biju Patnaik Airport wins award". 16 April 2013. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Odisha: Kalinga Safety Award to Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar". 26 September 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "New airport terminal to be thrown open on March 5". Times of India. 20 February 2013. Retrieved 2 April 2013.
- "Odisha Tourism, Biju Patnaik International Airport celebrated World Tourism Day". 27 September 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "Blood Donation Camp at Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar". 24 September 2014. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar organised a diabetes awareness drive". 22 August 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- "Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar organised a diabetes awareness drive". 28 June 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- "World Environment Day celebrated at Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar". 5 June 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- "Yoga Camp- Organised by Bhubaneswar Airport". 31 May 2014. Retrieved 29 June 2014.
- "IAF aircraft crash landed at Bhubaneswar". 22 December 2007. Retrieved 1 August 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Biju Patnaik Airport.|
- Biju Patnaik International Airport at Airports Authority of India
- Airport information for VEBS at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.