Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2014)|
|Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha|
|6th Chief Justice of India|
1 October 1959 – 31 January 1964
|Appointed by||Rajendra Prasad, President|
|Preceded by||Sudhi Ranjan Das|
|Succeeded by||P. B. Gajendragadkar|
|Chief Justice of Bombay High Court|
|Preceded by||Prakash Chandra Tatia
D. N. Patel (acting)
|Born||February 1, 1899|
Bhuvaneshwar Prasad Sinha of Shahabad (now Bhojpur), Bihar (February 1, 1899 - November 12, 1986) was the 6th Chief Justice of India (October 1, 1959 - January 31, 1964). He also served as the president of the Bharat Scouts and Guides from April 1965 to February 1967.
Sinha was awarded B.A. (Hons) M.A., B.L. and served as the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India from October 1, 1959 to January 31, 1964. He was educated at the Arrah Zila School, Patna College and Patna Law College; topped the list of successful candidates at the B.A. (Hons.) and M.A. Examinations of the Patna University in 1919 and 1921 respectively. He was Srimati Radhika Sinha Gold Medalist for standing first in History.
- Vakil, Patna High Court, 1922–27
- Advocate, 1927–35
- Lecturer, Government Law College, Patna, 1926–35
- Member, Senate of the Faculty of Law and of the Board of Examiners in Law, Patna University
- Member, Court of the Benaras Hindu University
- Government Pleader 1935–39
- Assistant Government Advocate, 1940–42
- Judge, Patna High Court, 1943–51
- Chief Justice, Nagpur High Court 1951–54
- Judge, Supreme Court, December 1954 – September 30, 1959
- Chief Justice of India, October 1959 - January 1964, Retired on January 31, 1964.
A deeply religious man, following his retirement, Sinha led a quiet life mostly devoted to spiritual pursuits, though he did accept a number of private arbitration cases. Becoming blind in his later years, he died in 1986.
- Reminiscences and Reflections of a Chief Justice ISBN 81-7018-253-0, 1985, 1st ed.
Sudhi Ranjan Das
|Chief Justice of India
30 September 1959–31 January 1964
P. B. Gajendragadkar
|Presidents of the Bharat Scouts and Guides
Sir Chandulal M. Trivedi
|This Scouting or Guiding article about a person is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Indian law-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|