||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007)|
Debroy at Ahmedabad Management Association
|Born||25 January 1955|
|Residence||New Delhi, India|
|Alma mater||Presidency College
Delhi School of Economics
Trinity College, Cambridge
Bibek Debroy (born 25 January 1955) is an Indian economist. Since March 2007, he has been professor at Centre for Policy Research, New Delhi. He has also been Visiting Honorary Senior Research Fellow for Institute for South Asian Studies in National University of Singapore from May 2009.[when?]
His past positions include the Director of the Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies, Consultant to the Department of Economic Affairs of Finance Ministry (Government of India), Secretary General of PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Director of the project LARGE (Legal Adjustments and Reforms for Globalising the Economy), set up by the Finance Ministry and UNDP for examining legal reforms in India. Between December 2006 and July 2007, he was the rapporteur[clarification needed] for implementation in the Commission on Legal Empowerment of the Poor. Debroy has authored several books, papers and popular articles, has been the Consulting Editor of Indian financial and other newspapers. He has been a member of the National Manufacturing Competitive Council from November 2004 to December 2009.
In the past Debroy has taught at Presidency College, Calcutta, Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, the Indian Institute of Foreign Trade] and the National Council of Applied Economic Research.
Books written or co-written by Debroy include:
- India: Redeeming the Economic Pledge, Academic Foundation, 2004 (http://www.academicfoundation.com/n_detail/debroy.asp).
- Transforming West Bengal, Changing the Agenda for an Agenda for Change, jointly with Laveesh Bhandari, February 2009 (http://www.indicus.net/media/index.php/2009/1324-transforming-west-bengal-changing-the-agenda-for-an-agenda-for-change).
- India Labour Report 2008 – The Right to Rise: Making India’s Labour Markets Inclusive,” jointly with Laveeesh Bhandari, TeamLease Services, 2009 (http://www.teamlease.com/images/reports/TeamLease_LabourReport2008.pdf).
- India Labour Report 2009 – The Geographic Mismatch & A Ranking of Indian States by their Labour Ecosystem, jointly with Laveesh Bhandari, TeamLease Services, 2010 (http://www.teamlease.com/images/reports/TeamLease_LabourReport2009.pdf).
- Economic Freedom of the States of India 2011, Academic Foundation, 2011, jointly with Swaminathan Aiyar and Laveesh Bhandari (http://www.cato.org/economic-freedom-india/).
- The India Mosaic – Searching for an Identity, Academic Foundation and Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies, Delhi, 2004, jointly edited with D. Shyam Babu (http://www.academicfoundation.com/n_detail/imosaic.asp).
- Agenda for Improving Governance, Academic Foundation and Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies, Delhi 2004 (http://www.academicfoundation.com/n_detail/agenda.asp).
- Integrating the Rural Poor into Markets, India Development Foundation and International Development Enterprises, Academic Foundation, Delhi 2004(http://www.academicfoundation.com/n_detail/Rpoor.asp).
- Small-Scale Industry in India, Large Scale Exit Problems, jointly edited with Laveesh Bhandari, Academic Foundation, Friedrich Naumann Stiftung and Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies, 2004 (http://www.academicfoundation.com/n_detail/SSI-LSEP.asp).
- Energizing Rural Development through Panchayats, jointly edited with P.D. Kaushik, Academic Foundation and Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies, 2004.
- Reforming the Labour Market, jointly edited with P.D. Kaushik, Academic Foundation and Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies, 2004 (http://www.academicfoundation.com/n_detail/Refo_L.asp).
- Uses and Misuses of Anti-Dumping Provisions in World Trade, A Cross-Country Perspective, jointly edited with Debashis Chakraborty, Academic Foundation and Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies, 2006(http://www.academicfoundation.com/n_detail/antidump.asp).
- The Trade Game, Negotiation Trends at WTO and Concerns of Developing Countries, jointly edited with Debashis Chakraborty, Academic Foundation and Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies, 2006 (http://www.academicfoundation.com/n_detail/tradeGame.asp).
- Judicial Reforms in India, Issues and Aspects, Rajiv Gandhi Institute for Contemporary Studies and Academic Foundation, 2007, jointly edited with Arnab Kumar Hazra (http://www.academicfoundation.com/n_detail/jreforms.asp).
- Anti-Dumping, Global Abuse of a Trade Policy Instrument, jointly edited with Debashis Chakraborty, Liberty Institute and Academic Foundation, 2007(http://www.academicfoundation.com/n_detail/antiD-GA.asp).
- India Health Report 2010, edited with Ajay Mahal and Laveesh Bhandari, Indicus Analytics and Business Standard Books, 2010 (http://www.business-standard.com/books/books.php?lmnu=m1&sub=11&val=11).
- Corruption in India - The DNA and the RNA, jointly with Laveesh Bhandari, Konark Publishers, 2011, http://www.amazon.com/Corruption-India-DNA-RNA-ebook/dp/B006MAADEU/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324273676&sr=1-10
- Gujarat: Governance for Growth and Development, Academic Foundation, 2012.http://books.google.co.in/books?id=4iCuNAEACAAJ&dq=gujarat+growth+for+governance+and+development&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_Q1cUemFBeeQigfzv4DIBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA
- Economic Freedom of the States of India, 2012, jointly with Laveesh Bhandari, Swaminathan S. Anklesaria Aiyar and Ashok Gulati, Academic Foundation, 2013.
- Getting India Back on Track: An Action Agenda for Reform, jointly with Ashley Tellis and Reece Trevor, Carnegie Endowment, http://carnegieendowment.org/2014/06/09/getting-india-back-on-track-action-agenda-for-reform/hdr3
Indology and others
- Some Aspects of the Ramayana and the Mahabharata, 1990, South Asia Books. ISBN 978-8171690084.
- The Bhagavad Gita, A translation, Penguin, 2006 (http://www.penguinbooksindia.com/category/Philosophy_and_Religion/Bhagavad_Gita_9780144000685.aspx).
- Sarama and Her Children, The Dog in Indian Myth, Penguin, 2008 (http://www.penguinbooksindia.com/category/Non_Fiction/Sarama_and_Her_Children_9780143064701.aspx).
- The Bhagavad Gita for You, Har-Anand, 2012.
- Unabridged translation of the Mahabharata
Debroy is working on an unabridged translation of the Mahabharata in 10 volumes, translated from the Sanskrit critical edition of the Mahabharata compiled at the Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute.
- The Mahabharata, Vol I. Penguin, 2010. ISBN 9780143100133. 536 pages. Contains most of Adi Parva.
- The Mahabharata, Vol II. Penguin, 2010. ISBN 9780143100140. 528 pages. Contains the rest of Adi Parva, all of Sabha Parva, and part of the Vana Parva (ending with the story of Nala and Damayanti).
- The Mahabharata, Vol III. Penguin, 2011. ISBN 9780143100157. 648 pages. Contains the rest of Vana Parva.
- The Mahabharata, Vol IV. Penguin, 2011. ISBN 9780143100164. 624 pages. Contains all of Virata Parva, and most of Udyoga Parva.
- The Mahabharata, Vol V. Penguin, 2012. ISBN 9780143100171. 632 pages. Contains the rest of Udyoga Parva, all of Bhishma Parva (including the Bhagavad Gita), and some of Drona Parva (including the death of Abhimanyu).
- The Mahabharata, Vol VI. Penguin, 2012. ISBN 9780143100188. 560 pages. Contains the rest of Drona Parva.
- The Mahabharata, Vol VII. Penguin, 2013. ISBN 9780143100195. 600 pages. Contains Karna Parva and Shalya Parva, the end of the war.
- The Mahabharata, Vol VIII. Penguin, 2013. ISBN 9780143100201. 600 pages. Contains Sauptika Parva, Stri Parva and Shanti Parva.