Marshall McLuhan bibliography
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Bibliography of Marshall McLuhan)
This is a bibliography of Marshall McLuhan's works.
- 1942 "The Place of Thomas Nashe in the Learning of His Time" (doctoral dissertation); published as The Classical Trivium, 2006 below.
- 1951 The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man; 1st Ed.: The Vanguard Press, NY; reissued by Gingko Press, 2002 ISBN 1-58423-050-9.
- 1960 "Report on Project in Understanding New Media"; National Association of Educational Broadcasters, U.S. Dept. of Health, Education and Welfare.
- 1960 Explorations in Communication edited with Edmund Snow Carpenter; Beacon Press, Boston.
- 1962 The Gutenberg Galaxy: The Making of Typographic Man; 1st Ed.: University of Toronto Press; reissued by Routledge & Kegan Paul ISBN 0-7100-1818-5.
- 1964 Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man; 1st Ed. McGraw Hill, NY; reissued by Gingko Press, 2003 ISBN 1-58423-073-8.
- 1967 The Medium is the Massage: An Inventory of Effects with Quentin Fiore, produced by Jerome Agel; 1st Ed.: Random House; reissued by Gingko Press, 2001 ISBN 1-58423-070-3.
- 1967 Verbi-Voco-Visual Explorations; Something Else Press, NY.
- 1968 War and Peace in the Global Village design/layout by Quentin Fiore, produced by Jerome Agel; 1st Ed.: Bantam, NY; reissued by Gingko Press, 2001 ISBN 1-58423-074-6.
- 1968 Through the Vanishing Point: Space in Poetry and Painting with Harley Parker; 1st Ed.: Harper & Row, NY.
- 1969 Counterblast design/layout by Harley Parker; McClelland and Steward, Toronto.
- 1969 The Interior Landscape: The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943–1962 selected, compiled and edited by Eugene McNamara; McGraw-Hill, NY.
- 1970 Culture is Our Business; McGraw Hill/Ballantine, NY.
- 1970 From Cliché to Archetype with Wilfred Watson; Viking, NY.
- 1972 Take Today: the Executive As Dropout with Barrington Nevitt; Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, NY.
- 1976 The Violence of the Media, The Canadian Forum
- 1976 Inside on the outside, or the spaced-out American, Journal of Communication
- 1976 Seminar on Myth and Media, University of Toronto
- 1976 Misunderstanding the Media's Laws, Technology and Culture
- 1977 City As Classroom: Understanding Language and Media with Kathryn Hutchon and Eric McLuhan; Book Society of Canada, Agincourt, Ontario.
- 1988 Laws of Media: The New Science with Eric McLuhan; University of Toronto Press, 1992.
- 1989 The Global Village: Transformations in World Life and Media in the 21st Century with Bruce R. Powers; Oxford University Press ISBN 0-19-505444-X.
- 2003 The Medium and the Light: Reflections on Religion edited by Eric McLuhan and Jacek Szlarek; Ginkgo Press.
- 2004 Understanding Me: Lectures and Interviews edited by Stephanie McLuhan and David Staines; The MIT Press ISBN 0-262-13442-X.
- 2006 The Classical Trivium: The Place of Thomas Nashe in the Learning of His Time (first publication of McLuhan's 1942 doctoral dissertation); Gingko Press ISBN 1-58423-067-3.
- 2011 Media and Formal Cause with Eric McLuhan; NeoPoiesis Press, LCC ISBN 0-9832747-0-3.
- "The Analogical Mirrors". The Kenyon Review, Vol. 6, No. 3 (Summer, 1944), pp. 322-332
- "The Analogical Mirrors" (1989 reprint). The Kenyon Review, New Series, Vol. 11, No. 1 (Winter, 1989), pp. 208-215
- "Edgar Poe's Tradition". The Sewanee Review, Vol. 52, No. 1 (Winter, 1944), pp. 24-33
- "The New York Wits". The Kenyon Review, Vol. 7, No. 1 (Winter, 1945), pp. 12-28
- "Another Aesthetic Peep-Show". The Sewanee Review, Vol. 53, No. 4 (Autumn, 1945), pp. 674-677
- "An Ancient Quarrel in Modern America". The Classical Journal, Vol. 41, No. 4 (Jan., 1946), pp. 156-162
- "Footprints in the Sands of Crime". The Sewanee Review, Vol. 54, No. 4 (Oct. - Dec., 1946), pp. 617-634
- Mr. Connolly and Mr. Hook reviewed by Herbert Marshall McLuhan. The Sewanee Review, Vol. 55, No. 1 (Jan. - Mar., 1947), pp. 167-172
- "The Southern Quality". The Sewanee Review, Vol. 55, No. 3 (Jul. - Sep., 1947), pp. 357-383
- "Inside Blake and Hollywood". The Sewanee Review, Vol. 55, No. 4 (Oct. - Dec., 1947), pp. 710-715
- "Joyce, Mallarme, and the Press". The Sewanee Review, Vol. 62, No. 1 (Jan. - Mar., 1954), pp. 38-55
- "The New Languages". Edmund Carpenter and Marshall McLuhan. Chicago Review, Vol. 10, No. 1 (Spring, 1956), pp. 46-52
- "Speed of Cultural Change". College Composition and Communication, Vol. 9, No. 1 (Feb., 1958), pp. 16-20
- "Myth and Mass Media". Daedalus, Vol. 88, No. 2, Myth and Mythmaking (Spring, 1959), pp. 339-348
- "Effects of the Improvements of Communication Media". The Journal of Economic History, Vol. 20, No. 4 (Dec., 1960), pp. 566-575
- "Roles, Masks, and Performances". New Literary History, Vol. 2, No. 3, Performances in Drama, the Arts, and Society (Spring, 1971), pp. 517-531
- "The Invisible Environment: The Future of an Erosion". Perspecta, Vol. 11 (1967), pp. 163-167
- "The Argument: Causality in the Electric World". Marshall McLuhan and Barrington Nevitt. Technology and Culture, Vol. 14, No. 1 (Jan., 1973), pp. 1-18
- "Communication: McLuhan's Laws of the Media". Technology and Culture, Vol. 16, No. 1 (Jan., 1975), pp. 74-78
- "Multi-Media: The Laws of the Media". Marshall McLuhan, Kathryn Hutchon, Eric McLuhan. The English Journal, Vol. 67, No. 8 (Nov., 1978), pp. 92-94
- "Pound, Eliot, and the Rhetoric of The Waste Land". New Literary History, Vol. 10, No. 3, Anniversary Issue: I (Spring, 1979), pp. 557-580
- "Understanding Canada and Sundry Other Matters: Marshall McLuhan." Mademoiselle, January 1967, pp. 114-115, 126-130.
- "Playboy Interview: Marshall McLuhan." Playboy, March 1969, pp. 26-27, 45, 55-56, 61, 63.
- "The Table Talk of Marshall McLuhan." by Peter C. Newman. Maclean's, June 1971, pp. 42, 45.
- "An Interview With Marshall McLuhan: His Outrageous Views About Women." by Linda Sandler. Miss Chatelaine, September 3, 1974, pp. 58-59, 82-87, 90-91.
- "It Will Probably End the Motor Car: An Interview With Marshall McLuhan." by Kirwan Cox and S. M. Crean. Cinema Canada, August 1976, pp. 26-29.
- "Interview With Professor Marshall McLuhan." Maclean's, March 7, 1977.
Works about McLuhan
- Benedetti, Paul and Nancy DeHart. Forward Through the Rearview Mirror: Reflections on and by Marshall McLuhan. Boston:The MIT Press, 1997.
- Carpenter, Edmund. "That Not-So-Silent Sea" [Appendix B]. In The Virtual Marshall McLuhan edited by Donald F. Theall. McGill-Queen's University Press, 2001: 236–261. (For the complete essay before it was edited for publication, see the external link below.)
- Coupland, Douglas. Extraordinary Canadians: Marshall McLuhan. Penguin Canada, 2009; US edition: Marshall McLuhan: You Know Nothing of my Work!. Atlas & Company, 2011.
- Daniel, Jeff. "McLuhan's Two Messengers: Maurice McNamee and Walter Ong: world-class interpreters of his ideas." St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Sunday, August 10, 1997: 4C).
- Federman, Mark. McLuhan for Managers: New Tools for New Thinking. Viking Canada, 2003.
- Finkelstein, Sidney. Sense and Nonsense of McLuhan New York: International Publishers, 1968.
- Flahiff, F. T. Always Someone to Kill the Doves: A Life of Sheila Watson. Edmonton: NeWest Press, 2005.
- Gordon, W. Terrence. Marshall McLuhan: Escape into Understanding: A Biography. Basic Books, 1997. ISBN 0465005497.
- Levinson, Paul. Digital McLuhan: A Guide to the Information Millennium. Routledge, 1999. ISBN 0-415-19251-X; book has been translated into Japanese, Chinese, Croatian, Romanian, Korean, Macedonian.
- Marchand, Philip. Marshall McLuhan: The Medium and the Messenger. Random House, 1989; Vintage, 1990; The MIT Press; Revised edition, 1998. ISBN 0262631865 
- Molinaro, Matie; Corinne McLuhan; and William Toye, eds. Letters of Marshall McLuhan. Toronto: Oxford University Press, 1987, ISBN 0195405943
- Ong, Walter J.: "McLuhan as Teacher: The Future Is a Thing of the Past." Journal of Communication 31 (1981): 129–135. Reprinted in Ong's Faith and Contexts: Volume One (Scholars Press, 1992: 11–18).
- Ong, Walter J.: [Untitled review of McLuhan's The Interior Landscape: The Literary Criticism of Marshall McLuhan 1943–1962]. Criticism 12 (1970): 244–251. Reprinted in An Ong Reader: Challenges for Further Inquiry (Hampton Press, 2002: 69–77).
- Theall, Donald F. The Virtual Marshall McLuhan. McGill-Queen's University Press, 2001.
- The Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism (1st ed. 1994: 481–483; 2nd ed. 2005: 643–645)
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Literary Theory: Approaches, Scholars, Terms (U of Toronto P, 1993: 421–423)
- Encyclopedia of Literary Critics and Criticism (Fitzroy Dearborn, 1999: 744–747)