Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal
|This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Portuguese Wikipedia. (January 2011)|
|Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal|
|English||National Library of Portugal|
|exterior of Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal|
|Established||29 February 1796|
|Reference to legal mandate||Lei Orgânica da BNP|
|Legal deposit||yes |
|Access and use|
|Access requirements||Readers must have more than 18 years and have the "Cartão do leitor" (reader's card)|
|Population served||564 657 (Lisbon)|
|Phone number||(351) 21 798 20 00|
The library was created by Decree of 29 February 1796, under the name of Royal Public Library of the Court. The library's objective was the to allow the general public access to the court's collections, thus bucking the trend of the time only available to scholars and sages could access the treasures, manuscripts, paintings, and books of the royal court.
- As Real Biblioteca Pública da Corte (Royal Public Library of the Court)
- "Fundo geral". www.bnportugal.pt. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- "Depósito legal". www.bnportugal.pt. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- "Regulamento Geral de Acesso às Colecções e Serviços da BNP". www.bnportugal.pt. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- "UMA POPULAÇÃO QUE SE URBANIZA, Uma avaliação recente - Cidades, 2004". Instituto Geográfico Português. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
|This library-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|