Bid Kaneh explosion
Coordinates: Bidganeh arsenal explosion was a large explosion that occurred about 13:30 local time, 12 November 2011 in Iran's Moddares garrison missile base (also referred to as Shahid Modarres missile base). 17 members of the Revolutionary Guards were killed in this incident, including Major General Hassan Moqaddam, described as "a key figure in Iran's missile programme".
The Iranian Revolutionary Guard garrison is located in a village near Shahriar city (Tehran Province) about 30 miles to the east of Iran's capital of Tehran. Residents of Karaj heard the sound of the explosion and breaking glass buildings that were near the scene. Initial reports indicated that the explosion happened at a CNG station, but this was later denied. Revolutionary Guard officials stated the accident occurred while military personnel were transporting munitions. Officials have denied the possibility of any foreign sabotage in the explosion despite the "fivefold increase in explosions" since 2010 at Iranian refineries and gas pipelines reported by "industry experts".
According to CNN, senior defense officials indicated that the United States believed the explosion was an industrial accident which took place while mixing volatile fuel for a large ballistic missile. Commercial satellite imagery captured on November 22 showed extensive damage at the military base and some buildings appeared to have been completely destroyed.
Possible Israeli sabotage
According to an unnamed Western official quoted by TIME Magazine, the blast was no accident and there are "more bullets in the magazine," implying the explosion was deliberate. Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak was asked about the explosion and replied "May there be more like it."
- Mysterious explosions pose dilemma for Iranian leaders. washingtonpost.com . 23 November 2011
- Iran exile group claims blast near Tehran hit closely guarded missile base. The Washington Post. 13 November 2011.
- Iranian missile expert killed in explosion The Guardian, 13 November 2011
- "سپاه پاسداران:انفجار مربوط به یک زاغه مهمات بود". bbc. 12 November 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "صدای مهیب در تهران و کرج". خبرگزاری مهر. 12 November 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- "انفجار جایگاه CNG در تهران و البرز صحت ندارد". خبرگزاری مهر. 12 November 2011. Retrieved 12 November 2011.
- Starr, Barbara (17 November 2011). "About that Iran explosion...". CNN.com. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- Brannan, Paul (17 November 2011). "Satellite Image Showing Damage from November 12, 2011 Blast at Military Base in Iran". Institute for Science and International Security. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- Was Israel Behind a Deadly Explosion at an Iranian Missile Base?
- Barak hopes there will be more explosions in Iran