Big & Small
|Big & Small|
Big (right) and Small (left)
|Created by||Kindle Entertainment|
|Voices of||Lenny Henry Big and Small Season 1-3, (voice actor)
Imelda Staunton (Season 1-2 UK)
Tamsin Heatley (Season 3 UK)
|Opening theme||"The Big and Small Song" by Lenny Henry|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom
|No. of series||3|
|Executive producer(s)||Anne Brogan Series 1-3|
|Running time||11 minutes/ep|
|Production company(s)||Kindle Entertainment
Sixteen South (season 3)
|Original channel||BBC One
BBC HD (2009-2013)
|Picture format||PAL (576i) (2007)
HDTV (1080i) (2009-present)
|Original release||6 October 2008– present|
|[Big & Small Online Website]|
Big & Small is a British children's television series aimed at preschoolers. Big & Small is a co-production between Kindle Entertainment and 3J's Productions produced in association with the BBC, Treehouse TV, and Studio 100. The first series was deemed a success worldwide and a second series was commissioned by the BBC. The show is a live action comedy for preschoolers, and follows the lives of puppets. Big & Small Online, a section of CBeebies Online, won a Children's BAFTA in 2009 for the best interactive content.
The show starts off with the characters doing many things, such as playing a game, or making something. There is then a conflict between the characters that leads to the plot of the episode. The characters then resolve their conflict before the end of the episode. There is always at least one song in each show, which is filmed in shadowmation.
|Big||Lenny Henry (Season 1-3 UK)||A large purple creature with pink spots on his back. Big is very calm, and caring.|
|Small||Lenny Henry (Season 1-3 UK)||A very loudly energetic and little orange creature.|
|Ruby||Jamie Shannon (Season 1 CAN) Imelda Staunton (Season 1-2 UK) Tamsin Heatley (Season 3 UK)||A pink mouse(-like creature) with red hair. Ruby lives in Big and Small's house in a mousehole.|
|Twi(t)ba||Jamie Shannon (Season 1 CAN) Imelda Staunton (Season 1-2 UK)||A green worm(-like creature) that lives in an apple in the apple tree. Twiba is an acronym which stands for "The Worm in the Big Apple".|
|The Frogs||A pair of different green-colored frogs with neckties and hats that live in the garden pond.|
In the United Kingdom, Big & Small is shown on BBC1, BBC2, and CBeebies, and is shown on Cyw in Wales. Treehouse TV features the show in Canada, while Big & Small may broadcast in the United States on Nick Jr. as Big & Small. In total, over 40 channels worldwide feature the show.
- Awarded "Best Writing" at Kidscreen 2013
- Awarded Best Interactive Service to Big & Small Online at the BAFTA Children's Awards 2009.
- Awarded Best Children's Programme for the episode "Blame It on the Drain" at the Royal Television Society's Educational Television Awards for 2009 ("A well constructed programme with great warmth, charm and child appeal.")
- Waller, Ed (29 August 2009). "CBeebies is having a laugh!". C21Media.
- "Find out more about Kindle's completed productions". Kindle Entertainment. Archived from the original on 11 February 2010. Retrieved 4 March 2010.
- "Second UK network for Big & Small". C21Media. 12 February 2010.
- Kindle Entertainment Big and Small News Page
- "Children's Nominations 2009". British Academy of Film and Television Arts. Archived from the original on 26 February 2010. Retrieved 7 March 2010.
- "RTS Programme Awards 2009". Royal Television Society. 16 March 2010. Archived from the original on 19 April 2010. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- Official Big & Small store UK
- Big & Small Online
- Big & Small at KindleEntertainment.com
- Big & Small at the Internet Movie Database