|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Revenue||11000 crore (US$1.7 billion) crores (in 2012) (Big Bazaar and Food Bazaar combined)|
|Employees||~ 36000 people |
According to Kishore Biyani's 3-C theory, Change and Confidence among the entire population is leading to rise in Consumption, through better employment and income which in turn is creating value to the agricultural products across the country. Big Bazaar has divided India into three segments:
- India one: Consuming class which includes upper middle and lower middle class (14% of India's population).
- India two: Serving class which includes people like drivers, household helps, office peons, liftmen, washermen, etc. (55% of India's population) and
- India three: Struggling class (remaining 31% of India's population).
Schemes and innovations
The concept of Wednesday Bazaar was promoted as ‘Hafte Ka Sabse Sasta Din’ (Cheapest Day of the Week). Initiated in January 2007, the idea behind this scheme was to draw customers to stores on Wednesdays, the day when consumer presence is usually less. According to the chain, the aim of the concept was ‘to give home makers the power to save the most’.
The concept of ‘Maha Bachat’ (Mega Saving) was introduced in the year 2006 as a single day campaign with attractive promotional offers across the company outlets. Over the years, the concept has grown to become a six-day biannual campaign. During this campaign, attractive offers are given in all the value formats including Big Bazaar, Food Bazaar, Electronic Bazaar and Furniture Bazaar.
The Great Exchange Offer
Introduced on February 12, 2009, ‘The Great Exchange Offer’ allows customers to exchange their old goods for Big Bazaar coupons. The coupons can be redeemed later for buying brand new goods from Big Bazaar outlets across the nation.
Advertising campaigns and marketing initiatives
In view of the increasing competition in the retail market, Big Bazaar has introduced certain steps to keep itself updated and continue promoting the brand.
On the occasion of successful completion of 10 years in the Indian retail industry (in 2011) Big Bazaar came up with a new logo for the company with a new tag line that says: ‘Naye India Ka Bazaar’ (Market for New India). This replaces the earlier tag line: ‘Isse Sasta Aur Kahin Nahin’ (Nothing is Cheaper than Here).
Big Bazaar has recently launched a 360-degree promotion drive covering the three prime media, television, print and social media, to mark the launch of the new logo. The entire media campaign was developed by Mudra Communications.
- Big Bazaar - ICICI Bank Card is launched.
- Food Bazaar becomes part of Big Bazaar with the launch of the first store in Mumbai at High Street Phoenix
- Big Bazaar enters Tier II cities with the launch of the store in Nagpur
- Big Bazaar welcomes its 10 million-th customer at its new store in Gurgaon
- Big Bazaar wins its first award and national recognition. Big Bazaar and Food Bazaar awarded the country’s most admired retailer award in value retailing and food retailing segment at the India Retail Forum
- A day before Diwali, the store at Lower Parel becomes the first to touch Rs 10 million turnover on a single day
- Initiates the implementation of SAP and pilots a RFID project at its central warehouse in Tarapur
- Launches a unique shopping program: the Big Bazaar Exchange Offer, inviting customers to exchange household junk at Big Bazaar
- Electronic Bazaar and Furniture Bazaar are launched
- Big Bazaar and ICICI Bank launched ICICI Bank-Big Bazaar Gold credit card program to reward its loyal customers.
- Mohan Jadhav sets a national record at Big Bazaar Sangli with a Rs 1,37,367 shopping bill. The Sangli farmer becomes Big Bazaar’s largest ever customer.
- Big Bazaar launches Shakti, India’s first credit card program tailored for housewives
- Navaras – the jewellery store launched within Big Bazaar stores
- The 50th Big Bazaar store is launched in Kanpur
- Big Bazaar partners with Futurebazaar.com to launch India's most popular shopping portal
- Big Bazaar initiates the "Power of One" campaign to help raise funds for the Save The Children India Fund.
- Pantaloon Retail wins the International Retailer of the Year at US-based National Retail Federation convention in New York and Emerging Retailer of the Year award at the World Retail Congress held in Barcelona.
- Big Bazaar becomes the fastest growing hypermarket format in the world with the launch of its 101st store within 7 years of launch
- Big Bazaar dons a new look with a fresh new section, Fashion@Big Bazaar
- Big Bazaar joins the league of India’s Business Super brands. It is voted among the top ten service brands in the country in the latest Pitch-IMRB international survey
- Big Bazaar initiated the Mega Saving "Monthly Bachat Bazaar" campaign, to provide exceptional deals on groceries and food items during the first week of every month.
- Big Bazaar opens its second store in Assam at Tinsukia
- Big Bazaar initiates Maha Annasantarpane program at its stores in South India – a unique initiative to offer meals to visitors and support local social organizations
- Big Bazaar captures almost one-third share in food and grocery products sold through modern retail in India
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Asin, youth icons of India, were chosen as the brand ambassadors of Big Bazaar
- Big Bazaar announced the launch of 'The Great Exchange Offer'
- Formed a joint venture with Hidesign to launch Holii, a new brand of handbags, laptop bags and other accessories.
- Future Value Retail Limited is formed as a specialized subsidiary to spearhead the group’s value retail business through Big Bazaar, Food Bazaar and other formats.
- Big Bazaar wins CNBC Awaaz Consumer Awards for the third consecutive year. Adjudged the Most Preferred Multi Brand Food & Beverage Chain, Most Preferred Multi Brand Retail Outlet and Most Preferred Multi Brand One Stop Shop
- Big Bazaar connects over 30,000 small and medium Indian manufacturers and entrepreneurs with around 200 million customers visiting its stores
- Big Bazaar opens its third store in Kanpur at Z Square Mall
- Big Bazaar opens its fourth store in Kanpur at Jajmau which is the largest leather tannery garrison of Asia
- Vidya Balan was chosen as the brand ambassador of Big Bazaar's Price Challenge exercise
- Ranked 6 among the Top 50 Service Brands in India.
- Big Bazaar forays into the rural wholesale and distribution business through ‘Aadhaar Wholesale’ store at Kalol, Gujarat.
- Big Bazaar has come up a new logo with a new tag line: ‘Naye India Ka Bazaar’.
- 200th store opened in India 
- Future Group has launched its latest venture, Foodhall – a premium food destination across 10 metros in India 
- For the convenience of the online customers, Big Bazaar has started free shipping on all orders above Rs. 1000 
- Entered into an agreement with Hindustan Unilever to co-develop and co-brand bakery products, which would be sold exclusively at Big Bazaar stores.
- Big Bazaar entered into a five year multi-million dollar deal with Cognizant Technology Solutions for IT infrastructure services that support Future Group's network of stores, warehouses, offices, and data centers.
- Partnered with Disney to launch "Kidz Cookies", exclusively for kids across India.
- Big Bazaar is planning to add further value to its retail services by offering Value added services like grinding, de-seeding, vegetables cutting at free of cost.
- "Future Group trims workforce". Times of India. 2012-02-21. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Big Bazaar Review". textilefabricgarment.com. Retrieved 2013-08-25.
- "SP Jain Institute of Management & Research, Mumbai". SPJIMR. 2006-08-04. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "Wednesday Bazaar, The Hindu". Chennai, India. December 6, 2006.
- "Maha Bachat, Money Control".
- "Big Bazaar presents "The Great Exchange Offer", Money Control".
- "Big Bazaar April Utsav, MillionLuck". Chennai, India. April 18, 2013.
- "Three Big Bazaar stores launched within a span of 22 days, pantaloon retail".
- "Top 50 Service Brands". The Economic Times. 2011-08-31. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Big Bazaar goes for new logo,tag line on 10th yr of operations - Economic Times". Articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2011-11-17. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "Future Group milestones has transformed the Indian retail landscape". Futuregroup.in. 2011-03-07. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "Future Group opens food hall chain". Deccanherald.com. 2011-05-22. Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- "Free Shipping On Orders Above Rs.1000". FutureBazaar.com. 2011-12-04. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- "Hindustan Unilever, Future Group to co-brand bakery products, items to be sold at select Big Bazaar stores". The Economic Times. 2011-08-22. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Cognizant bags 5 year multi-million dollar IT outsourcing deal from Future Group - Economic Times". Economictimes.indiatimes.com. 2011-08-22. Retrieved 2012-02-15.
- "Future Group partners Disney to launch cookies". The Economic Times. 2012-02-10. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Big Bazaar's value added services at no extra cost boost sales". The Economic Times. 2012-02-23. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- Swapna Pradhan, Retailing Management 2E - Page 427 (2006)
- Kishore Biyani, Dipayan Baishya (2007): It happened in India: The story of Pantaloons, Big Bazaar, Central and the great Indian consumer
- Swati Bhalla, Anuraag S, Visual Merchandising - Page 91
- Pradeep S. Mehta, CUTS Centre for Competition, Investment & Economic Regulation (Jaipur, India) – (2006) - Preview, A functional competition policy for India
- Rajan Saxena, Marketing Management 4E – Page 140
- John Pearce, John Pearce 10E – Page 144
- Rajesh Ray, Supply Chain Management for Retailing – Page 89
- Janat Shah, Supply Chain Management: Text and Cases – Page 163
- Swati Bhalla, Anurag Singal, Visual Merchandising – Page 91
- Netscribes - Retail Market in India 2012, Consumer Goods
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Big Bazaar.|