Big Foot Prairie is an unincorporated community in both McHenry County, Illinois and Walworth County, Wisconsin, United States. The Illinois portion of the community, which is larger, is located in Chemung Township, while the Wisconsin portion is located in the Town of Walworth. Big Foot Prairie is located on U.S. Route 14, 5 miles (8.0 km) north of Harvard.
The community was named for Big Foot, a Potawatomi chief who resided in the area in the 1820s and 1830s. It once had a post office, which opened on May 15, 1848.
- ^ "Big Foot Prairie". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- ^ McHenry County General Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Illinois Department of Transportation. 2010. Retrieved May 18, 2011.
- ^ Walworth County (PDF) (Map). Wisconsin Department of Transportation. 2011. Archived (PDF) from the original on May 16, 2011. Retrieved May 18, 2011.
- ^ Callary, Edward (2009). Place Names of Illinois. University of Illinois Press. p. 425.
- ^ 'History of Walworth County, Wisconsin,' vol. II, Albert Clayton Beckwith, B.F. Bowen & Company: 1912, Biographical Sketch of Phipps Waldo Lake, pg. 936-938