Big Hero 6 (film)
|Big Hero 6|
|Produced by||Roy Conli|
|Based on||Big Hero 6
|Music by||Henry Jackman|
|Walt Disney Pictures
Walt Disney Animation Studios
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios
Big Hero 6 is an upcoming American 3D computer-animated superhero film produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios and inspired by the Marvel Comics superhero team of the same name. The film will be directed by Don Hall and Chris Williams, and will be the 54th animated feature in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series. Big Hero 6 will be the first Disney animated film to feature Marvel characters since The Walt Disney Company's acquisition of Marvel Entertainment in 2009. The film will be released on November 7, 2014 by Walt Disney Pictures.
Set in a fictional metropolis called San Fransokyo (a portmanteau of San Francisco and Tokyo), a young robotics prodigy named Hiro Hamada and his self-created robot Baymax uncover a criminal plot and pull together a team of inexperienced crime-fighters, including Wasabi-No-Ginger, Honey Lemon, GoGo Tomago, and Fred to solve the mystery surrounding the crime.
After Disney's acquisition of Marvel Entertainment in 2009, CEO Bob Iger encouraged the company's divisions to explore Marvel's properties for adaptation concepts. While co-directing Winnie the Pooh, director Don Hall chose Big Hero 6 from Marvel's library and later pitched the concept to John Lasseter in 2011, as a possible production for Walt Disney Animation Studios. In June 2012, Disney confirmed that Walt Disney Animation Studios was adapting Marvel Comics' series and that the film was commissioned into early stages of development.
Big Hero 6 will be produced solely by Walt Disney Animation Studios, although several members of Marvel's creative team will be involved in the film's production including Joe Quesada, Marvel's chief creative officer. Regarding the film's story, Quesada stated, "The relationship between Hiro and his robot has a very Disney flavor to it...but it’s combined with these Marvel heroic arcs."
In terms of the film's animation style and settings, the film will combine Eastern world culture (predominantly Japanese) with Western world culture. In May 2013, Disney released concept art and rendered footage of San Fransokyo from the film. On December 31, 2013, it was reported that Chris Williams had joined Hall as director, while Roy Conli had replaced Kristina Reed as producer.
In researching robotics, the film's team consulted with engineers at Carnegie Mellon University who were working in the new field of "soft robotics" using inflatable vinyl. Hall stated that the technology "will have potential probably in the medical industry in the future, making robots that are very pliable and gentle and not going to hurt people when they pick them up." In terms of Baymax's design, Hall mentioned that the look of the mechanical armor took some time "because of the sheer amount of robots out there and just trying to get something that felt like the personality of the character." Co-director Williams stated "A big part of the design challenge is when he puts on the armor you want to feel that he’s a very powerful intimidating presence...at the same time, design-wise he has to relate to the really adorable simple vinyl robot underneath."
Big Hero 6 will be released on November 7, 2014. The teaser trailer was released on May 22, 2014. Theatrically, the film will be accompanied by the Walt Disney Animation Studios short, Feast.
- Giardina, Carolyn (December 31, 2013). "Chris Williams To Co-Direct Disney Animation’s ‘Big Hero 6’ With Don Hall". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 31, 2013.
- "Jordan Roberts Goes From Indies to Disney - Speakeasy - WSJ". The Wall Street Journal. May 14, 2013. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- "Henry Jackman to Score Disney’s ‘Big Hero 6′". Film Music Reporter. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- Arruda, Cameron (May 9, 2013). "Disney Announces First Ever Animated Marvel Film 'Big Hero 6' To Hit Theaters in November 2014". Film Thrasher. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Keegan, Rebecca (May 9, 2013). "Exclusive: Disney Animation announces first Marvel movie, ‘Big Hero 6′". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Matt McDaniel Managing Editor May 21, 2014 (2014-05-21). "Disney Throws Out the Marvel Rulebook for 'Big Hero 6'". Yahoo.com. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- Truitt, Brian (May 9, 2013). "Disney animates Marvel characters for 'Big Hero 6'". USA Today. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "ANNOUNCING "BIG HERO 6"—COMING 2014 FROM WALT DISNEY ANIMATION STUDIOS". Disney Insider. May 9, 2013. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Disney Gives Marvel Fans First Look at Big Hero 6 Animated Film". IGN. August 9, 2013. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- Stradling, Morgan (March 27, 2014). "Comedian TJ Miller is First Voice Actor Announced for Disney’s ‘Big Hero 6′ – He’s Voicing Fred!". Rotoscopers. Retrieved March 28, 2014.
- "Jamie Chung Next to Not Be Announced for ‘Big Hero 6′". Stitch Kingdom. April 28, 2014. Retrieved April 28, 2014.
- Sneider, Jeff (April 28, 2014). "Disney's ‘Big Hero 6' Adds Maya Rudolph to Top-Secret Voice Cast (Exclusive)". The Wrap. Retrieved April 28, 2014.
- Keegan, Rebecca (May 9, 2013). "Disney is reanimated with 'Frozen,' 'Big Hero 6'". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Breznican, Anthony (June 29, 2012). "Disney Animation teams up with Marvel for 'Big Hero 6' -- BREAKING". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Nicholson, Max (June 29, 2012). "Confirmed: Disney Animating Marvel's Big Hero 6". IGN. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Gregg, Kilday (February 12, 2014). "Disney Animation's Andrew Millstein on a 'Frozen' Sequel and the Studio's Next Marvel Collaboration (Q&A)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved March 7, 2014.
- Lang, Brent (May 9, 2013). "Marvel, Disney Partner on Animated Release: 'Big Hero 6' (Video)". The Wrap. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Film, Total (2014-07-04). "Big Hero 6 director confirms the Avengers won’t make cameos". TotalFilm.com. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- Krupa, Daniel. "Disney Animation Announces First Marvel Movie, Big Hero 6". IGN. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- Acuna, Kirsten (May 9, 2013). "Gorgeous Concept Art For Disney's First Animated Marvel Film". Business Insider. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- McDaniel, Matt (May 22, 2014). "First Teaser for Marvel and Disney's 'Big Hero 6': Meet Their 'Huggable' Robot". Yahoo! Movies. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- Lovett, Jamie (May 16, 2014). "Big Hero 6 Trailer Premiering Thursday, May 22". Comicbook.com. Retrieved May 18, 2014.
- "Walt Disney Animation Studios' 'Feast' to Premiere at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival". Disney Post. April 24, 2014. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
- Official website
- Big Hero 6 at Walt Disney Animation Studios
- Big Hero 6 at the Internet Movie Database
- Big Hero 6 at Box Office Mojo