Big Love (Fleetwood Mac song)
|Single by Fleetwood Mac|
|from the album Tango in the Night|
|B-side||"You & I Part 1"|
|Released||March 28, 1987|
|Genre||Rock, pop rock|
|Producer(s)||Lindsey Buckingham, Richard Dashut|
|Fleetwood Mac singles chronology|
"Big Love" is a song by Fleetwood Mac, that appeared on their 1987 album Tango in the Night. The song was the first single to be released from the album, reaching #5 on the U.S. charts, and number nine in the UK. The single was also a hit on the American dance charts, where the song peaked at #7.
A 12-inch version featured an extended dance mix, with added vocals by Stevie Nicks. While the 12-inch version included "You & I, Part II" from the Tango in the Night album, the 7-inch version included a non-album track, "You & I, Part I". A limited edition 12-inch picture disc was released in the UK, as well as a double 7-inch pack, which contained the "Big Love" single, and an exclusive 7-inch featuring "The Chain" as an A-side.
"Big Love" was written by Lindsey Buckingham, and was originally going to be part of his third solo album which he began working on in 1985, but the project became a Fleetwood Mac album instead. The song epitomised the stylised production techniques used on the album, with its provocative "oh - ahh" male/female vocal exchange. Though many assumed the female "ahh" to be Stevie Nicks, it was actually Lindsey Buckingham performing both, created by way of his voice being sampled and altered in the studio to mimic that of a woman. The sample was aired several times on Late Night with David Letterman, where Letterman told viewers they were hearing the sounds of CPR.
Since Buckingham left Fleetwood Mac in 1987 (shortly after Tango in the Night was released), the band never performed "Big Love" live until his return in 1997. It was in 1993, on his first solo tour, that Buckingham performed a guitar-only version of the song, featuring the Merle Travis/Chet Atkins and folk-inspired fingerpicking techniques that form the essential core of his playing style. In 1997, he performed it in the same style on Fleetwood Mac's live album and video The Dance. It also appeared on the second volume of Cameron Crowe's Elizabethtown film soundtrack. Buckingham continues to perform the song on Fleetwood Mac and solo tours.
The stylish and innovative promo video for "Big Love" was reported (by Mick Fleetwood) to have cost half a million dollars—a considerable amount for a three-and-a-half minute clip, even by today's standards. The video was filmed in part at Kimberly Crest, a Victorian mansion in Redlands, California which is often used for weddings and social events.
12" single (Warner Brothers Records 0-20683)
- "Big Love" (Extended Remix) – 6:42
- "Big Love" (House on the Hil Dub) – 3:03
- "Big Love" (Piano Dub) – 6:36
- "You and I, Part I" – 3:09
- Lindsey Buckingham – guitar, drum programming, vocals
- John McVie – bass guitar
- Christine McVie – keyboards, synthesizer
- Mick Fleetwood – drums
- Stevie Nicks (Nicks was absent during the original album recording of this song, though she is heard on the 12" extended version of the single and also appears in the video)
Flesh for Lulu performed a cover of "Big Love" and placed it on their "Cold Flame"/"Big Love" record.
Jim Moray performs a version on his 2012 album, Skulk.
|Canadian RPM Top 100 Singles||92|
|US Billboard Top Pop Singles||81|
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 230.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco: 1974-2003. Record Research. p. 100.
-  Continent at Discogs. Retrieved on 22 February 2011
-  In Parallel at Discogs. Retrieved on 8 March 2011.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "ultratop.be Fleetwood Mac – "Big Love"" (ASP). Hung Medien (in Dutch). Ultratop. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Top Singles - Volume 46, No. 10". RPM. 13 June 1987. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "dutchcharts.nl Fleetwood Mac – "Big Love"" (ASP). Hung Medien. MegaCharts. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Search the Charts" (enter "Fleetwood Mac" into the "Search by Artist" box, then select "Search"). Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved 3 May 2010.
- "Hit Parade Italia: Indice per Interprete: F: Fleetwood Mac" (in Italian). hitparadeitalia. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "charts.org.nz Fleetwood Mac – "Big Love"" (ASP). Hung Medien. Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "swedishcharts.com Fleetwood Mac – "Big Love"" (ASP). Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Fleetwood Mac > Artists > Official Charts". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Allmusic: Tango in the Night: Charts & Awards". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Single Search: Fleetwood Mac – "Big Love"" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 20 February 2013.
- "Top Singles - Volume 47, No. 12; Top 100 Single of 1987". RPM. 26 December 1987. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- Nielsen Business Media, Inc (26 December 1987). Billboard Magazine – Year End Charts – Year-end Charts of 1987.