Big Machine Records
|Big Machine Records|
|Founded||September 1, 2005|
|Distributor(s)||Republic Records (in the US)
Universal Music Group (international)
|Country of origin||USA|
Big Machine Records, LLC is an independent American record label specializing in country music artists. It was launched in 2005 by former DreamWorks Records executive Scott Borchetta. The label was part of a joint venture between Borchetta and country singer Toby Keith, although Keith dropped his affiliation in 2006. Big Machine is based in Nashville, Tennessee, and is distributed by Republic Records (formerly Universal Republic Records until its demise) while Universal Music Group distributes its material internationally. The label has seven Grammy Awards, awarded to Taylor Swift.
In November 2007, Big Machine Records founded a subsidiary imprint called Valory Music Group. Acts signed to this roster include Jimmy Wayne (who was formerly signed to Big Machine), Jewel, The Mavericks, and Justin Moore. By late 2008, the label began promoting Canadian acts Adam Gregory and Emerson Drive, who are also signed to Midas Records. Big Machine ended promotion for the two artists in 2009. Reba McEntire joined Valory in 2009, in association with her own label, Starstruck.
In March 2014 the label announced that it would be reviving Dot Records. The company announced a partnership with Cumulus Media to create “Nash Icon,” an offshoot of Cumulus's Nash FM brand, in August 2014; the brand will promote active country acts who achieved mainstream fame in the 1990s and early 2000s. Cumulus-owned “Nash Icon” stations will play the artists' music while Big Machine distributes their albums.
Artists on Big Machine
Artists on Valory Music Co
- Brantley Gilbert
- Levi Hummon
- The Mavericks
- Reba McEntire (Valory/Starstruck)
- Justin Moore
- Thomas Rhett
Artists on Republic Nashville
Artists on Dot Records
- Stark, Phyllis (2006-03-11). "The Honeymoon's Hardly Over, but Show Dog and Big Machine split". Billboard.
- "Big Machine starts new label, signs Jewel, Jimmy Wayne, Justin Moore". Country Standard Time.com. 2007-11-02. Archived from the original on 11 November 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- Country Chart-Topping Emerson Drive Joins The Valory Music Co.[dead link]
- "New Nashville label starts with Sunny Sweeney aboard". Country Standard Time. 2009-06-05. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- Rau, Nate (24 March 2014). "Big Machine resurrects Dot Records name". The Tennesseean. Retrieved 27 March 2014.
- "Oldies 98.9 becomes older-skewing country NASH Icon 98.9". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Cox Media Group. 15 August 2014. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- "Nash Icons launches across the country". Radio Insight. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- DOT RECORDS ANNOUNCES MADDIE & TAE AS INAUGURAL ACT ON ROSTER Retrieved June 11, 2014