Big Sandy Rancheria
|96 enrolled members|
|Regions with significant populations|
|United States ( California)|
|English, Western Mono|
|traditional tribal religion, formerly Ghost Dance|
|Related ethnic groups|
|other Mono tribes|
The Big Sandy Rancheria, located just outside the community of Auberry, in Fresno County, is 228 acres (0.92 km2) large. In 1990, 38 tribal members lived on the reservation. In 2009, approximately 158 out of 495 enrolled tribal members lived on the reservation. The reservation is very secluded, and the tribal headquarters is situated within a ring of houses.
Big Sandy Rancheria's tribal headquarters is located in Auberry, California. They are governed by a democratically elected, five-person tribal council. The current administration is as follows:
- Elizabeth Kipp, Tribal Chairperson
- Arrow Sample, Vice Chairperson
- Johnny Baty, Treasurer
- Lisa D. Garcia, Secretary
- Amy Hutchins, Member-at-Large
- "California Indians and Their Reservations: Big Sandy Rancheria." San Diego State University Library and Information Access. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- Eargle, 88
- Pritzker, 136
- California Indians and Their Reservations. SDSU Library and Information Access. (retrieved 17 May 2010)
- Eargle, 101
- "Government." Big Sandy Rancheria Band of Western Mono Indians.(retrieved 17 May 2010)
- Sydney M. Lamb. 1957. Mono Grammar. University of California. Berkeley PhD dissertation. .pdf
- "Mono Wind Casino." 500 Nations. (retrieved 17 May 2010)
- Eargle, Jr., Dolan H. California Indian Country: The Land and the People. San Francisco: Tree Company Press, 1992. ISBN 0-937401-20-X.
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1.
- Big Sandy Rancheria of Western Mono Indians, official website