Big Sky High School
|Big Sky High School|
|3100 S. Avenue West
Missoula, Montana, United States
|School district||Missoula County Public Schools District No. 1|
Big Sky High School is an American public high school in Missoula, Montana, opened in 1980. The school made Missoula the first city in Montana to have four secondary schools. It is a part of the Missoula County Public Schools.
The band is currently under the direction of Dylan Dwyer. Bands at Big Sky include Beginning Band, Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band, Pep Band, and Big Sky Eagle Marching Band. All students in concert bands are required to participate in the marching band. The marching band performs at two football games per year, and at the University of Montana homecoming parade. They have travelled to perform in places such as Carnegie Hall in New York and the Rose Parade in California. In 2011, the band travelled to Seattle. In 2014, the band travelled to Honolulu, Hawaii to perform at the 29th annual Pacific Basin Music Festival along with the choir.
The drama department has produced over one hundred full-length productions since the school's opening in 1980. It is currently under the direction of Sarah DeGrandpre. They work closely with Way Off Broadway Theater Company. The department has an annual Fall Cabaret Show, where students write or direct the performances. The department also has the Spring Dance Concert. Their season starts at the beginning of September and ends through the end of June. Past Productions include:
- The Miracle Worker
- Children of a Lesser God
- Noises Off
- Bye, Bye, Birdie
- The Foreigner
- One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
- A Piece of My Heart
- Brighton Beach Memories
- One Upon a Time in New Jersey
- Moon Over Buffalo
- Boys Next Door
- Zombie Prom
- Lend Me A Tenor
- Good Boys & True
- Lost in Yonkers
- Slide Over
- The Mouse Trap (2005)
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- Tomb with a View
- The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (2007)
Speech & Debate
- Chance McKinney, country singer
- Joslyn Tinkle, WNBA forward for Seattle Storm
- Larry Krystkowiak, former NBA player, current Utah men's basketball coach
- Jordan Tripp, NFL Line Backer for Miami Dolphins
Clubs and activities
- Art Club
- Boys Basketball
- Boys Soccer
- Cross Country
- Girls Basketball
- Girls Soccer
- Track & Field
- "Boston headmaster named principal of Big Sky High School". The Missoulian. Retrieved 16 April 2014.
- Kato, Dillon. "Big Sky High School band, choir students to perform at Honolulu music festival". The Missoulian. Retrieved 04-03-2014.
- "This Week in A&E: Art". The Missoulian. Retrieved 04-03-2014.
- Lynn, Madison. "Student finds senior project with Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde". Retrieved 04-03-2014.
- Kelly, Jamie. "Missoula Big Sky grad Chance McKinney wins CMT Music City Madness Competition". The Missoulian. Retrieved 04-02-2014.