Big Valley Jamboree
|Big Valley Jamboree|
|Location(s)||Camrose, Alberta, Canada|
|Big Valley Jamboree|
The Big Valley Jamboree (Commonly "BVJ") is a large country music festival located in Camrose, Alberta, Canada, a city located south east of Edmonton. (Big Valley is actually south of Camrose approximately an hour and closer to and southwest of Stettler, Alberta off Highway 56). Created in 1992, the Jamboree is held each year during the August long weekend, and features country singers from all over North America. It is one of the largest music festivals on the continent. Among the performers in 2009 are Tim McGraw, Gary Allan, Kevin Costner and Josh Turner. The event draws thousands of campers and party goers annually, with daily averages of 25,000 people attending the four day event.
The Big Valley Jamboree adds up to $10 million to the Camrose economy, and organizers have spent millions of dollars upgrading and maintaining the Camrose Exhibition Grounds for the annual festival. the Canadian Country Music Association has voted the Big Valley Jamboree as the country music event of the year on four occasions: 2001, 2004, 2006 and 2010.
On August 1, 2009, a large storm including strong winds described by some[who?] as being "hurricane-like" collapsed the main stage, killing one person and injuring at least 15 others according to police, four critically. Producers of the Jamboree estimated that 75 people had been treated for injuries. The storm hit while Billy Currington was on stage. Currington and his bass guitarist were injured. Organizers had just postponed the concert and were in the process of clearing spectators from the concert area when a storm front hit that caused the collapse. Environment Canada had issued a severe thunderstorm warning for the Camrose area earlier; however, the organizers were not advised until just before the storm hit thus did not alert concert goers of the coming storm. The final day of the festival was cancelled.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Big Valley Jamboree.|
- 5. Canadian Press http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090802/entertainment/wea_big_valley_jamboree retrieved August 02, 2009
- "Performers". Big Valley Jamboree. Retrieved 2009-08-01.[dead link]
- "Country's big weekend just around the corner". Edmonton Journal. 2008-07-30. Retrieved 2009-08-01.
- "1 killed, 15 hurt in Alberta stage collapse". CNN. 2009-08-02. Archived from the original on 19 September 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- "About us". Big Valley Jamboree. Retrieved 2009-08-01.[dead link]
- Noel, Alyssa; Cameron, David (2009-08-02). "One dead at Big Valley as stage collapses". Calgary Sun. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- Withey, Elizabeth (2009-08-02). "Stage collapses in Alberta storm". Edmonton Journal. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
|This music festival-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|