Big Valley Rancheria
The Big Valley Band of Pomo Indians of the Big Valley Rancheria is a federally recognized tribe of Pomo and Pit River Indians, with a reservation located in Lake County, California, near the town of Finley. They conduct tribal business from Lakeport, California.
The tribe formed its current governmental system under the Indian Reorganization Act of 1935 and ratified its constitution on 15 January 1936. Tribal membership is open to any descendant of the tribal members listed on the official 1935 census rolls, regardless of blood quantum. Today tribal enrollment is estimated to be 225.
The traditional language of the tribe is Eastern Pomo, also known as Bahtssal or Clear Lake Pomo. The tribe has been able to hold Eastern Pomo language classes, bring together elders with younger tribal members for lessons, and document elders speaking both in audio and video recordings.
Economic development for the tribe has been possible through the creation of the Konocti Vista Casino. which is located near Lakeport, on the shores of Clear Lake. The Big Valley Band also owns a hotel, marina, RV park, the Ku-Hu-Gui Cafe, and the Point Bar as part of the casino resort.
The tribe has an annual Tule Boat Festival with boat building, environmental programs and races amongst the participating Tribes.
- California Indians and Their Reservations. San Diego State University Library and Information Access. 2009 (retrieved 24 Feb 2009)
- Constitution and By-Laws for the Big Valley Band of Pomo Indians of the Big Valley Rancheria 1 April 1935 (retrieved 24 Feb 2009)
- Eastern Pomo Language. Big Valley Rancheria. 2003 (retrieved 24 Feb 2009)
- Konocti Vista Casino Resort, Marina and RV Park. 500 Nations. (retrieved 24 Feb 2009)
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Big Valley Rancheria
- Big Valley Band of Pomo Indians
- Constitution and By-Laws for the Big Valley Band of Pomo Indians of the Big Valley Rancheria
|This article relating to the Indigenous peoples of the Americas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Lake County, California–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|