|Live album by Joe Jackson|
|Recorded||22 January 1986—25 January 1986, at the Roundabout Theatre, New York City|
|Joe Jackson chronology|
Big World is a 1986 live album of original songs by Joe Jackson. The album was recorded in front of an invited audience at the Roundabout Theatre in New York City on 22–25 January 1986. The songs are loosely linked by lyrics covering a general theme of post-World-War-2 international relations and global travel.
Jackson's intent for the recording was to capture the intensity and spontaneity of a live performance, but without the distraction of noise from the crowd. He requested that the audience remain silent while his performance was recorded, so no applause is heard. In the manner of a remote broadcast, the music was mixed live from microphones on each musical instrument, and sent directly to a stereo digital tape recorder. Unlike most remote recordings, no post-recording mixing or overdubbing was performed. The individual tracks were selected from performances on various nights.
The LP release was a double album, but only three sides had music. The unrecorded fourth side's label stated "there is no music on this side", and the record had a groove that quickly led to the inner so no damage could be done to the stylus if accidentally placed on the turntable with that side up. The CD release contained the same 15 tracks on one disc.
The front cover of the album features the phrase "Big World" in French, Persian, Mandarin Chinese, Greek, Dutch, Korean, Thai, Russian, Irish Gaelic, Armenian, Hindi, Hebrew, Indonesian, Arabic, and Polish. The back cover features the same phrase in Vietnamese, Swedish, Swiss German, Turkish, Spanish, Swahili, Italian, Danish, Finnish, Welsh, and Hungarian.
The album included an eight-page booklet which included the lyrics to all fifteen songs and recording information in English, German, Japanese, French, Italian and Spanish.
(NB. The track sequence differed between the LP and cassette releases). All songs composed by Joe Jackson.
- "Wild West" – 4:37
- "Right and Wrong" – 4:35
- "(It's A) Big World" – 4:44
- "Precious Time" – 3:23
- "Tonight and Forever" – 2:31
- "Shanghai Sky" – 5:10
- "Fifty Dollar Love Affair" – 3:38
- "We Can't Live Together" – 5:25
- "Forty Years" – 4:26
- "Survival" – 2:19
- "Soul Kiss" – 4:44
- "The Jet Set" – 3:50
- "Tango Atlantico" – 2:58
- "Home Town" – 3:12
- "Man in the Street" – 5:05
- Joe Jackson - Vocals, piano, recorder, accordion, melodica
- Vinnie Zummo - Guitars, vocals
- Rick Ford - Bass, acoustic guitar, vocals
- Gary Burke - Drums
- Joy Askew, Nikki Gregeroff, Peter Hewlett, Curtis King, Jr. - Extra backup vocals
- Produced by Dave Kershenbaum and Joe Jackson
- Michael Frondelli - recording engineer
- Recorded at the Roundabout Theatre, East 17th Street, New York City
- 23, 24 and 25 January 1986 (except "Man in the Street", recorded during rehearsals on 22 January)
- Remote recording facility - Lemobile
- Guy Charbonneau - remote recording technician
- Dave Roberts - onstage technician
- Dave Hewitt - remote recording production coordinator
- Eddie Clienti - digital tape technician
- Jim Flynn (Martin Audio) - recording equipment rental
- Coordinated by Joy Askew
|UK Albums Chart||U.S. Billboard 200 Chart|
- Strong, Martin C. (2000). The Great Rock Discography (5th ed.). Edinburgh: Mojo Books. pp. 485–486. ISBN 1-84195-017-3.
- Allmusic review
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 274. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Allmusic ((( Joe Jackson > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))".