|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009)|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, USA|
|Genres||Progressive rock, progressive metal, psychedelic rock, hard rock, heavy metal|
|Years active||1991 - Present|
|Past members||Richard Anton
Steve "Froth" Frothingham
|Mellotron, Hammond C3, 1961 Gibson SG/Les Paul, Minimoog, Orange amplifiers|
Bigelf were formed as a psychedelic/glam-tinged hard rock outfit in 1991 in Los Angeles, California by Damon Fox and Richard Anton. They initially gained a large underground following. Bigelf's original line-up included Damon Fox (vocals/keyboards/guitar), A.H.M. Butler-Jones (vocals/guitar), Richard Anton (vocals/bass) and Thom Sullivan (drums).
The quartet recorded 6-track EP Closer To Doom in spring 1995 co-produced by Sylvia Massy. Closer To Doom was released in 1996 and established them as 'fathers' of the psychedelic doom movement that spawned the L.A. stoner-rock scene. The first line-up change came when Steve Frothingham replaced Sullivan in late '95; soon afterward founding member Richard Anton would exit the band.
Continuing on as a three-piece, they recorded Money Machine in summer 1997, which Swedish prog & heavy metal label Record Heaven would eventually release in 2000. This led the band to tour Scandinavia where they would become a quartet again with addition of Finnish bass player Duffy Snowhill. He debuted on their 6-track EP Goatbridge Palace, which included four live tracks recorded in Stockholm in December 2000. In summer 2001 Butler-Jones fell into a diabetic coma while on tour in Sweden (he would remain in this unconscious state until his passing on December 31, 2009). Ace Mark (also from Finland) took his place on guitar, leaving Fox as the sole singer and songwriter.
Regaining focus with a new, solid foundation, Bigelf signed with Warner Music Sweden in 2002 and released Hex the following year. The band attained cult status overseas, most notably in Northern Europe.
In 2009, Bigelf toured with Dream Theater on their Progressive Nation 2009 tour. They were originally billed alongside Opeth and Unexpect on the European leg of the tour from September to November, but after Pain of Salvation and Beardfish were forced to drop out because of the bankruptcy of SPV, their record label's (InsideOut) distributor, Bigelf were also added to the North American tour as opening acts alongside bands Scale the Summit and Zappa Plays Zappa between July and August. The band once again supported Dream Theater as their opening act for the Mexican, Canadian, and South American tour in March 2010. In April 2010, Bigelf supported Porcupine Tree on their US Tour.
The band went on indefinite hiatus after playing several festival shows in Japan in August 2010.
In September 2012, Fox announced via the band's Facebook and website that a new Bigelf album is in the making.
On April 3, 2013, publisher Inside Out Music announced Bigelf had signed with the label and would release a new album later that year. Fox collaborated on the album with former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy, according both to the Inside Out announcement and to Portnoy's own Twitter feed. Guitarist Luis Maldonado was also invited to "take some solo's and add some color" to the album and also to perform a concert with the band on the Progressive Nation at Sea cruise ship festival on February 18 - 22, 2014.
- Money Machine (May 2000 - Record Heaven, Sweden; Aug. 2010 Powerage Records)
- Hex (Oct. 2003 - Warner Music Sweden; Oct. 2007 - Custard Records; Aug. 2010 Powerage Records)
- Cheat the Gallows (Aug. 2008 - Custard Records; Sep. 2009 - Powerage Records )
- Into the Maelstrom (May 2014 - InsideOut Records)
- Closer to Doom (Jan. 1996 - Third Hole Records, USA; Aug. 2001 - Record Heaven, with 4 bonus tracks; Aug. 2010 Powerage Records, with 8 bonus tracks)
- Goatbridge Palace (May 2001 - Record Heaven)
- The Madhatter (Jun. 2003 - Warner Music Sweden)
- Current members
- Damon Fox - lead vocals, keyboards, guitar (1991-present)
- Duffy Snowhill - bass (2000-present)
- Luis Maldonado - guitar (2013-present)
- Mike Portnoy - drums (session and selected live shows) (2013-present)
- Baron Fox - drums (live) (2014-present)
- Former members
- Richard Anton - lead vocals, bass (1991-1996)
- Thom Sullivan - drums (1991-1995)
- A.H.M. Butler-Jones - lead vocals, guitar, piano (1992-2001)
- Steve "Froth" Frothingham - drums (1995-2010)
- Ace Mark - guitar (2002-2010)
- "Bigelf Biography, Discography, Music News on 100 XR - The Net's #1 Rock Station!!!". 100xr.com. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- "PROGRESSIVE NATION 2009 North American Tour Dates - NYC show added!!". Mikeportnoy.com. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- "BIGELF Return And Sign New Deal With InsideOut MusicMike Portnoy to play drums on forthcoming new album!". Inside Out Music. 2013-04-03. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- "Twitter / MikePortnoy: I can finally confirm that". Twitter.com. 2013-04-03. Retrieved 2014-02-15.
- "Damon Fox Interview". Guitarhoo!. Guitarhoo.com. January 27, 2014. Retrieved February 21, 2014.
- [dead link]