Bigelow Hollow State Park
|Bigelow Hollow State Park|
|Connecticut State Park|
Bigelow Pond: the first body of water on the left at the park entrance
|Elevation||741 ft (226 m) |
|Area||516 acres (209 ha) |
|Management||Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection|
|Website: Bigelow Hollow State Park|
Bigelow Hollow State Park is a Connecticut state park in the town of Union surrounded by Nipmuck State Forest and bordering Mashapaug Lake. The park and forest are located in a large hollow or depression approximately 700' below the surrounding ridgelines.
The park's 600 acres (240 ha) is surrounded by some 40,000 acres (16,000 ha) of forest including 9,000 acres (3,600 ha) in the Nipmuck State Forest, nearly 8,000 acres (3,200 ha) in the Yale Forest, 13,000 acres (5,300 ha) in the Natchaug State Forest, 4,000 acres (1,600 ha) of the Norcross Wildlife Refuge, and the 7,000 acres (2,800 ha) of forest held by Hull Foresters, making it one of largest forests in Southern New England and some of the largest unbroken tracts of forest as well.
The park has picnic benches, beaches, and a boat launch on 300-acre (120 ha) Mashapaug Lake, which is found near the end of the park's main road.
The park has over 35 miles (56 km) of trails, including several that go around 92-acre Breakneck Pond, a secluded and undeveloped lake only accessible by foot. A trail map and a compass may be useful: the park is mostly evergreen at lower elevations and the trails can be lost in the thick forest density.
- "Bigelow Hollow State Park". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- Legislative Program Review and Investigations Committee (January 23, 2014). "State Parks and Forests: Funding". Staff Findings and Recommendations. Connecticut General Assembly. p. A-1. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Bigelow State Park and Nipmuck State Forest". Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- "Bigelow Hollow State Park". MTBR. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Snowmobiling in Connecticut". Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- Bigelow Hollow State Park Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection
- Bigelow Hollow State Park Map Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection