|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (October 2013)|
|This article appears to be a dictionary definition. Please rewrite it to present the subject from an encyclopedic point of view. If it cannot be turned into a full encyclopedia article in the near future, consider moving it to Wiktionary.|
|Part of a series on|
Bigender, bi-gender or bi+gender describes a tendency to move between feminine and masculine gender-typed behaviour depending on context. Some bigendered individuals express a distinctly "en femme" persona and a distinctly "en homme" persona, feminine and masculine respectively; others have shades of grey between the two. It is recognized by the American Psychological Association (APA) as a subset of the transgender group. A 1999 survey conducted by the San Francisco Department of Public Health observed that, among the transgendered community, less than 3% of those who were genetic males and less than 8% of those who were genetic females identified as bigender.
While an androgynous person retains the same gender-typed behaviour across situations, the bigendered person consciously or unconsciously changes their gender-role behaviour from primarily masculine to primarily feminine, or vice versa.
- Schneider, M., et al. APA Task Force on Gender Identity, Gender Variance, and Intersex Conditions, 2008
- Clements, K. San Francisco Department of Public Health, 1999
- Bigender.net - Discussion forum for Bigender individuals.
- ExperienceProject.com - Stories of Bigender lives and experiences on experienceproject.com
- Gender Neutral Body Map
- Gender Neutral Pronouns
- Gender Odyssey Family An annual conference in Seattle, USA for families who are working to navigate the day-to-day realities of raising a gender non-conforming or transgender child. The conference includes special programming for trans teens and youth.
- Gender Spectrum - Support and information site for families of transgender and gender non-conforming children and teens.
- SAGA Youth and Family - Support and advocacy program for transgender and gender-variant children and youth, their families, and their communities.
- Stuff Queer People Need To Know - A blog featuring a list of transgender and genderqueer links and support resources.