||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014)|
31 May 1971
Kudassanad, Kerala, India
|Occupation||Film director, doctor|
|Parents||P.Ponnamma, Late V.K.Damodaran|
Early and personal life
Bijukumar Damodaran was born in 1971 in Kudassanad village near Pandalam, Kerala, as the son of V. K. Damodaran and Ponnamma. After completing his schooling from Kudassanad NSS School and Pandalam NSS College, he joined the Kottayam Homoeo Medical College to obtain a diploma in Homoeo Medical Science and Graduated in the same from Trivandrum Homoeo Medical College. A practicing medical doctor, he is now working as the Superintendent of Kayamkulam Government Homoeo Hospital.
His first three films made as a trilogy on terrorism. He debuted as writer and director with Saira (2005), an award-winning and internationally recognized film. It was the opening film in the section Tous Les Cinemas Du Monde (Cinemas of the World) at the Cannes International Film Festival in 2007. Saira also participated in 21 other international film festivals like USA, Brazil, Israel, Russia, Italy, Greece, Zimbabwe, Belgium, Bangladesh etc. The film was also selected at the Indian Panorama 2006. Dr. Biju followed suit writing and directing Raman (2008), his second feature to discuss issues related with terrorism, a controversial and much debated-over socio-political film. Raman was officially selected at Cairo International Film Festival 2009 in the section "Incredible India" and also participated in seven international film festivals across the world. Biju's next film Veettilekkulla Vazhi (The Way Home; 2010) was the final installment of the Terrorism Trilogy. Veettilekkulla Vazhi got National Film Aawards for best Malayalam film in 2010. Akasathinte Niram (Color of Sky; 2012), his fourth film, world premiered at 15th Shanghai International Film Festival in the International competition section.
In 2010, he received the prestigious Kerala State Film Award for Best Article on Cinema for an article titled Kollaruth Samvidhayakare.
- Cinimayude Yathrakal (Traveling of Cinema)published by Mathrubhumi Books 2013.
- Kim Ki Duk - Film and life published by Sahitya Pravarthaka Sahakarana Sangam 2014.
- The script of film Saira published in 2010 by Fabian Books
|Year||Original Title||English Title||Festivals/Awards/Nominations|
|2008||Raman||Travelogue of Invasion||
|2010||Veettilekkulla Vazhi||The Way Home||
|2012||Akasathinte Niram||Color of Sky||
|2014||Valiya Chirakulla Pakshikal||"Birds with Large Wings"||Pre Production.|
- 2010: Signi award for best director/ Zanzibar International film festival, Tanzania - Veettilekkulla Vazhi
- 2010: Award for Best Feature Film/ ImagineIndia film festival Madrid, Spain - Veettilekkulla Vazhi
- 2010: Award for Best Director/ ImagineIndia film festival Madrid, Spain - Veettilekkulla Vazhi
- 2010: NETPAC Award / International film festival Kerala - Veettilekkulla Vazhi
- 2013: Best Screen Play Award / New York Indian film festival - Aakashathinte Niram
- 2010: National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Malayalam - Veettilekkulla Vazhi
- 2013" National Film Award for Best Film on Environment Conservation/Preservation - Perariyathavar
- 2011: special jury award - Aakashathinte Niram
- 2010: Best Article on Cinema - Kollaruthu Samvidayakare (Article in Mathrubhumi Weekly)
- "Veettilekkulla Vazhi shooting almost over". Oneindia.in. Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
Dr Biju's award-winning film, 'Akashathinte Niram', is going places,http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-04-20/news-and-interviews/38674828_1_akashathinte-niram-dr-biju-york-indian-film-festival
Dr. Biju’s The Way Home to screen at 38th Telluride Film Festival http://dearcinema.com/article/dr-biju%E2%80%99s-the-way-home-to-screen-at-38th-telluride-film-festival/4017#
The only Indian film at Shanghai film festival http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-show/slide-show-1-south-the-only-indian-film-at-shanghai-film-festival/20120720.htm 43rd International Film Festival of India (IFFI-2012)- Director, Dr. Biju addressing at the presentation of film (Akashathinte Niram) http://www.newswala.com/Entertainment-News/43rd-International-Film-Festival-of-India-IFFI-2012-Director-Dr.-Biju-addressing-at-the-presentation-of-film-Akashathinte-Niram-23005.html
First films for Golden Goblet award http://www.siff.com/MovieEn/infolist.aspx?CategoryID=586bbd12-3d8a-425b-8b1f-0dfadf5b9d7d&SubCategoryID=7658cbf6-6fe2-4c08-adc0-ae4899f51d3c&ParentCategoryID=06e3e627
- Nagarajan, Saraswathy (13 December 2010). "Plucky and on untrodden terrain". The Hindu (Chennai, India).