Bikram Singh (general)
PVSM, UYSM, AVSM, SM, VSM, ADC
General Bikram Singh wearing Lt. General insignia.
|Years of service||1972– 31 July 2014|
|Unit||Sikh Light Infantry Regiment|
|Commands held||GOC-in-C Eastern Command
GOC XV Corps
Commander of Rashtriya Rifles Sector
GOC of Eastern Division in the Democratic Republic of Congo
|Awards||Param Vishisht Seva Medal
Uttam Yudh Seva Medal
Ati Vishisht Seva Medal
Vishisht Seva Medal
Legion of Merit
General Bikram Singh, PVSM, UYSM, AVSM, SM, VSM, ADC is a former Chief of Army Staff (COAS) of the Indian Army . Previously the head of the Eastern Command, he became the 25th COAS succeeding General V. K. Singh, who retired on 31 May 2012. He is second Sikh to be COAS, the first having been General J. J. Singh. He was also the Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee (CoSC) of the Indian armed forces.
A graduate of the 40th course at the National Defence Academy, Singh was commissioned into the Sikh Light Infantry on 31 March 1972. He was adjudged the 'Best Young Officer' at the Young Officer's course at the Infantry School and was also awarded both the Commando Dagger for being the best commando and the 'Best in Tactics' trophy. He later was an instructor at the Commando and Weapons Wings of the Infantry School.
After completing the Higher Command Course, he served his first tenure as a Director in the Military Operations (MO) Directorate. The tenure coincided with the Kargil War and he was the official spokesperson of the Army during that period. He went on to serve four important tenures at Army HQ: an additional tenure in the MO Directorate as the Deputy Director General, two tenures in the Perspective Planning Directorate, as the Deputy Director General of Perspective Planning (Strategy) and later, as the Additional Director General. He was posted back to the Army HQ as a Lieutenant General to serve as the Director General Staff Duties (DGSD) before taking over as Eastern Army Commander.
He has held positions of General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Command, XV Corps, GOC 10th Infantry Division, Commander of Rashtriya Rifles Sector and GOC of the Multi-National Eastern Division in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. He was wounded while posted as a Brigadier in Jammu & Kashmir, where he has spent much of his service.
Awards and decorations
- Param Vishisht Seva Medal
- Uttam Yudh Seva Medal
- Ati Vishisht Seva Medal
- Sena Medal
- Vishisht Seva Medal
- Legion of Merit
Bikram Singh is married to Surjeet Kaur and the couple have two children.
- "Know your new army chief, General Bikram Singh". ndtv.com. 31 May 2012. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "Chief of the Army Staff". indianarmy.nic.in. Retrieved 1 June 2012.
- "Bikram Singh assumes charge as new Army chief". The Times of India.
- "Gen. V.K. Singh to retire today". New Delhi: The Hindu. 31 May 2012. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- "Lt General Bikram Singh to succeed Indian army chie". Express Tribune. PPI. Retrieved 31 May 2012.
- "General Bikram Singh takes over as most senior military chief". The Times of India. 30 December 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "Chiefs of Staff". National Defence Academy. Retrieved 10 July 2012.
- "I have shed my blood in Kashmir Valley: Army Chief". 9 July 2012.
- "Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Will be the Next Chief of Army Staff". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "Bikram Singh assumes charge as new Army chief". The Times Of India. 31 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bikram Singh.|
Vijay Kumar Singh
|Chief of Army Staff
Dalbir Singh Suhag
Norman Anil Kumar Browne
|Chairman of the Chiefs of Staff Committee