Bilaspur Junction railway station
Indian Railway Junction Station
Old Station Building of Bilaspur built in 1890.
|Elevation||292.300 metres (958.99 ft)|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Tracks||14Broad gauge 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Zone(s)||South East Central Railway|
|Owned by||Indian Railways|
|Operator||South East Central Railway|
|Formerly||Bengal Nagpur Railway|
Bilaspur Railway Station has 3rd longest railway platform in India after Gorakhpur and Kharagpur.[original research?]
- Gorakhpur Railway Station, Uttar Pradesh, India:1,366.33 m (4,483 ft)
- Kharagpur Railway Station, West Bengal, India: 1,072.5 m (3,519 ft)
- Bilaspur Railway Station, Chhattisgarh, India: 802 m (2,631 ft)
Bilaspur Railway Station came up in 1889 with the opening of Rajnandgaon to Bilaspur extension of erstwhile Nagpur Chhattisgarh Railway taken over by Bengal Nagpur Railway and construction of the Nagpur-Asansol main line of Bengal Nagpur Railway, which opened in 1891. The station building was constructed in 1890. It became a station on the crosscountry Howrah-Nagpur-Mumbai line in 1900.
The Rourkela-Bilaspur section was electrified in 1969-70 while Bilaspur-Nagpur in 1976-77 and Bilaspur-Katni in 1981.
Bilaspur railway station is a complete, well handled and high quality facility providing A-1 grade station. It has got cloak room, AC and non AC dormitory, 1 AC and 1 non AC waiting room, a multifunctional complex and many other amenities. Even a medical shop is also provided at platform no 1. Escalators and lifts also started operations here in Jan 2014. There is facility of Battery Operated Golf Cars which serves to senior citizen, physically handicapped people.
Bilaspur Railway Station is amongst the top hundred booking stations of Indian Railway. It is the busiest station of Chhattisgarh and fourth busiest of central India where about 300 trains and goods trains (including both up and down directions) passes everyday.
- "Major Events in the Formation of S.E. Railway". South Eastern Railway. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 2012-12-08.
- "South East Central Railway". South East Central Railway. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- "Indian Railways Passenger Reservation Enquiry". Availability in trains for Top 100 Booking Stations of Indian Railways. IRFCA. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
Bilaspur (Chhattisgarh) travel guide from Wikivoyage
|Preceding station||Indian Railways||Following station|
|South East Central Railway zone|
|South East Central Railway zone
Katni-Bilaspur branch line