||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (January 2014)|
Mohsni training with Southend United in 2010
|Full name||Bilel Mohsni|
|Date of birth||21 July 1987|
|Place of birth||Paris, France|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|2005–2006||CO Les Ulis||44||(5)|
|2008–2009||CO Les Ulis||30||(6)|
|2012–2013||→ Ipswich Town (loan)||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 6 March 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Mohsni is of Tunisian descent and grew up in a suburb of Paris, France. In his homeland, he played for CO Les Ulis (twice), Mende, US Saint-Georges and Sainte-Genevieve Sports at the beginning of his career, between the years of 2005 and 2010. He combined playing part-time with coaching children in the community.
In the summer of 2010, he moved to England on the advice of his agent to sign with Southend United of League Two, as one of seventeen new signings, as new manager Paul Sturrock rebuilt following a turbulent period in the club's history which left the club with a handful of players and in the bottom rung of England's professional football ladder. This followed a successful trial period. This move came despite difficulties in securing his transfer from the French club, after delays in getting the necessary paperwork from the French Football Federation. In September 2010, he signed a new two year deal with the club.
Mohsni made his Southend debut and his first game in professional football against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the League Cup on 24 August 2010. Mohsni had a goal disallowed for offside and hit the crossbar in the game Southend eventually lost 2–1 after extra time. On 27 August, Mohsni made his league debut against Bradford City.
Mohsni scored his first goal for the club on 13 November 2010 in a 1–1 draw against Accrington Stanley. On 21 January 2011 Mohsni scored a 96th minute equaliser against Bury to salvage a 1–1 draw. In the following game at home to Macclesfield Town, Mohsni was picked to start up front following his leveller against Bury and an injury to Barry Corr. He scored twice in a 4–1 win, with involvement in one of the other goals.
On 31 January 2011, Southend rejected a bid of £250,000 from Blackpool for Mohsni. On 5 February 2011 against Shrewsbury Town Mohsni was stretchered off amidst fears he had suffered a broken ankle, scans later revealed no break or fracture but he had suffered ligament damage and would be out of action for at least two months.
Mohsni made his return from injury on 2 April 2011 playing the full 90 minutes in a 0–0 draw against Aldershot Town. His return to first team action also saw him suffer a broken nose after being elbowed by a player.
Starting the 2011–12 season as a striker due to injuries, Bilel started playing as a centre forward. He scored the only goal in a 1–0 opening day win at home to Hereford United. On 3 September 2011, again playing as a makeshift centre forward, Mohsni scored after a 35-yard strike against Northampton Town. He was later utilised as a winger for the majority of the 2011–12 season, and praised by manager Paul Sturrock for his versatility.
In December 2011 he was given his 'last chance' due to many suspensions. On 5 January 2012, Southend manager, Sturrock confirmed that he would not be sold in the January transfer window, and would remain at Southend until the end of the season.
West Ham United
Mohsni failed to return for the start of pre-season training ahead of the 2012–13 season. Southend manager Sturrock announced that Mohsni was 'reluctant' to return to the club at all believing he could play his football at a higher level than Southend's League Two and that he was scheduled to go on trial with 'a Premier League side'. On 20 July he appeared for a West Ham United development side in a 4–1 defeat to Grays Athletic, scoring both a goal and an own-goal. In August 2012, West Ham's bid of £150,000 for Mohsni was rejected by Southend.
Mohsni was not given a squad number by Southend before the start of the 2012–13 season. On 28 August 2012, it was announced that Mohsni was to go on trial with SPL club Celtic. He then went on trial with Championship club Ipswich Town in September, however, it was later reported that Ipswich would not be signing Mohsni since he refused an extended trial at Portman Road.
Ipswich Town (loan)
Having returning from Portman Road, Mohsni refused to train with the Shrimpers. He remains registered with the club, however. In January 2013, Mohsni spent time on trial with Stevenage, training with the squad, although no move materialised.
Return to Southend
Eventually, on 16 February 2013, when Southend were desperately short of players through injury and suspension, particularly centre-backs, Mohsni agreed to play for the Blues, wearing the number 28 shirt. He made his debut that day in a 2–1 defeat to Northampton, which only lasted twenty seven minutes after a high footed challenge saw him sent off. He was reported to have watched the remainder of the game from the Roots Hall stands, still wearing his kit. On 30 April 2013 Mohsni was released by Southend, just 10 months after the club turned down a £100,000 offer for him. Bilel's final appearance for Southend came at Wembley stadium in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy Final, a competition he had played no previous part in.
On 4 July 2013, Mohsni began a week's trial at Rangers. The trial was extended by three weeks due to impressive performances in the 2013 pre-season campaign. On 26 July he signed a two-year deal with the club which was due to commence on 1 September when the club's transfer embargo had been lifted.
Mohsni is a devout Muslim.
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/10/2012 and 31/10/2012" (PDF). The Football Association. p. 13. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- Sank, Sam. "Mohsni close to Blues move". www.ftbpro.com. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- "Southend United hopeful on Bilel Mohsni papers". BBC Sport. 12 August 2010. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "Southend United's Bouzid and Mohsni registered to play". BBC Sport. 18 August 2010. Archived from the original on 21 August 2010. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "MOHSNI SIGNS NEW DEAL". southendunited.co.uk. 17 September 2010. Archived from the original on 21 September 2010. Retrieved 17 September 2010.
- "Southend United 4 – Macclesfield Town 1". BBC Sport. 25 January 2011. Archived from the original on 24 January 2011. Retrieved 25 January 2011.
- "Shrimpers shun Blackpool bid". Sky Sports. 31 January 2011. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- "MOHSNI OUT FOR 6–8 WEEKS". Southend United F.C. 9 February 2011. Archived from the original on 8 August 2013. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "Mohsni starts against Shots". Southend United F.C. 2 April 2011. Archived from the original on 8 August 2013. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- "Bilel Mohsni unhappy return for Southend United against Aldershot Town". Echo News. 4 April 2011. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- BBC Sport – Southend 2–2 Northampton
- "Southend United boss Paul Sturrock praises Bilel Mohsni". BBC Sport. 26 October 2011. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Sturrock will keep Mohsni at Southend". BBC News.
- "Bilel Mohsni puts Southend United future in doubt". BBC Sport. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- Phillips, Chris (20 July 2012). "Southend United's Bilel Mohsni scores at both ends for West Ham United in trial game against Grays Athletic". www.echo-news.co.uk. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Hammers' Mohsni bid rejected". www1.skysports.com. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Celtic trial for Southend United's Bilel Mohnsi (From Echo)
- TRANSFER LATEST: Fiery Frenchman Bilel Mohsni on trial at Ipswich Town – Ipswich Town – East Anglian Daily Times
- BBC Sport – Southend's Bilel Mohsni walks away from trial with Ipswich
- Mohsni joins Ipswich on loan
- BBC Sport – Bilel Mohsni not at Southend United training
- "Stevenage hand trial to Southend United defender". The Comet. 28 January 2013. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Match Report
- "Rangers: Defender Bilel Mohsni is eighth summer signing". BBC Sport. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
- "Ramadan room for Mohsni in Dens". Press Display. 1 August 2013. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- Profile at the official Southend United website
- Mohsni Bilel career stats at Soccerbase
- Official website profile