|Born||1965 (age 48–49)|
|Alma mater||Cornell University|
Bill Andriette is an American journalist, gay rights activist, and Age of Consent reform activist. Andriette is the Art Director for the LGBT periodical Baltimore Outloud, and was previously the Features Editor of The Guide, a gay travel and entertainment magazine published in Boston. As of 1996, he was the spokesman of the North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA).
In an interview in The Boston Phoenix in 1996, Andriette said, "I realized I was gay when I was 12." He joined NAMBLA when he was 15 years old, and by the age of 17 he was a member of the Steering Committee. For six years he was the editor of the NAMBLA Bulletin. He expressed differences with some earlier NAMBLA directors' views regarding legalization of what is now considered to be statutory rape, finding room for compromise with government and societal concerns. He expressed frustration that the LGBT rights movement had ostracized NAMBLA, because he regarded the moral condemnation of pedophiles as a "reactionary ideology which the gay movement has happily adopted to burnish its own particular identity category."
During the 1993 International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA) controversy, he defended NAMBLA's membership in ILGA, and to a greater extent NAMBLA's place in the gay rights movement, by claiming that "'the main tradition' of homosexuality" is consistent with supporting the abolition of laws prohibiting statutory rape.
In 2008, he was a runner up for a Sex Positive Journalism Award (Sexies) for an article which appeared in The Guide: "Tipping Point for Gay Sex?"
- "Are You a Child Pornographer?". Playboy Magazine (September): 56. 1991.
- Bronski, Michael, ed. (1996). "Dumped Down and Played Out". Taking Liberties: Gay Men's Essays on Politics, Culture, and Sex. Masquerade Books. ISBN 978-1-56333-456-6.
- "The Guide Interviews Camille Paglia". The Guide (Fidelity Publishing) (January). 1999.
- "Sex & Empire". The Guide (Fidelity Publishing) (March). 2002.
- "Pictures at an Execution". The Guide (Fidelity Publishing) (October). 2005.
- "Tipping Point for Gay Sex?". The Guide (Fidelity Publishing) (December). 2007.
- Lowenthal, Michael (1996-10-24). "The Boy-lover Next Door". The Boston Phoenix (The Phoenix Media/Communications Group). Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- "Who We Are". Baltimore Outload. Pride Media Ltd. 2010. Archived from the original on 19 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- Silverstein, Charles; Picano, Felice (2004). The Joy of Gay Sex. HarperCollins. p. 144. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- Osborne, Duncan (1994-03-08). "Ill Will Towards ILGA". The Advocate. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- Sideman, Adi (Director) (1994). Chicken Hawk: Men Who Love Boys (Motion picture). Event occurs at 9:00. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- Susan, Wright (2008-06-18). "2008 Sexies Winners". The Sex Positive Journalism Awards. Retrieved 2010-10-05.
- Bill Andriette at the Internet Movie Database
- "Another Moral Panic" from the Subversity series. Daniel Tsang interviews Bill Andriette on KUCI radio June 15, 1999. Requires RealAudio. Press release