|Full name||William F. Ashurst|
|Born||April→June 1948 (age 65–66)
|Source: rugbyleagueproject.org englandrl.co.uk|
William "Bill" F. Ashurst (birth registered April→June 1948 (age 65–66)) birth registered in Ince-in-Makerfield, is an English professional rugby league footballer of the 1960s, '70s and '80s, and coach of the 1980s playing at representative level for Great Britain, and at club level for Wigan (twice), Penrith Panthers, Wakefield Trinity, and Runcorn Highfield, playing as a Centre, or Second-row, and at club level has coached for Wakefield Trinity, Runcorn Highfield, and Wigan St Patricks ARLFC (Under-16s).
Ashurst played Centre in Wigan's 7-4 victory over St. Helens in the 1968–69 BBC2 Floodlit Trophy final at Central Park, Wigan on Tuesday 16 December 1968. He played Second-row, and was man of the match winning the Harry Sunderland Trophy, in Wigan's 12-16 defeat by St. Helens in the 1970–71 Rugby Football League Championship final at Station Road, Swinton on Saturday 22 May 1971. He also played in the club's 15-8 victory over Widnes in the 1971–72 Lancashire Cup final at Knowsley Road, St. Helens, on Saturday 28 August 1971.
Ashurst returned to Wigan in 1977, but was sold to Wakefield Trinity for another record fee of £18,000 in March 1978. He played Second-row in Wakefield's 3-12 defeat by Widnes in the 1978–79 Challenge Cup final at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 5 May 1979. He retired from playing in 1982 due to a knee injury.
Ashurst coached Wakefield Trinity while still playing during the 1981–82 season. He then joined Wigan as assistant coach to Alex Murphy. Ashurst also coached Runcorn Highfield between 1987 and 1989. Due to a players' strike, Ashurst came out of retirement to play in a match against former club Wigan in 1988. He was sent off during the game, and made no further appearances as a player.
BBC2 Floodlit Trophy (1): 1968
Harry Sunderland Trophy (1): 1971
- "Birth details at freebmd.org.uk". freebmd.org.uk. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Morris, Graham (2005). Wigan Rugby League Football Club: 100 Greats. Stroud: Tempus Publishing. p. 12. ISBN 978-0-7524-3470-4.
- "1968-1968 BBC2 Floodlit Trophy Final". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "1971-1972 Lancashire Cup Final". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Panthers Flashback: 1974". Penrith Panthers. 12 March 2013. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- "History". Penrith Panthers. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Hoole, Les (2004). Wakefield Trinity RLFC - FIFTY GREAT GAMES. Breedon Books. ISBN 1-85983-429-9
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Statistics at wigan.rlfans.com
- Great Britain Statistics at englandrl.co.uk
- Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org
|Rugby League Transfer Record
Wigan to Penrith Panthers