Granger at Hereford Road Party.
|Born||August 29, 1969|
In the late 1980s, Granger relocated from Melbourne to Sydney to study art. He found inspiration in the city's lifestyle, light and harbour views. He worked as a waiter while he studied art. His creative interest slowly moved from art to food. In 1993, he opened a restaurant called "Bills" in the Sydney suburb of Darlinghurst. Breakfast, and more specifically creamy scrambled eggs, brought Granger to the public's attention. A second restaurant, "Bills Surry Hills", opened in 1996. "Bills Woollahra" was his third restaurant. The restaurants are also known for ricotta hotcakes.
In 2008, he opened the first "Bills" restaurant outside Australia in Japan, where he had lived for half a year. Since then, he has four restaurants in Japan, Tokyo, Yokohama, and Kamakura. In 2011, Granger opened his first UK restaurant Granger & Co in London's Westbourne Grove. In 2014, Granger will be opening a second London-based Granger & Co in Clerkenwell  and a new bills restaurant in Hawaii.
Bill Granger is known for his eclectic and simple cuisine which he displays in all of his shows, books and restaurants. He has often been referred to as the Australian version of Jamie Oliver
Granger wrote Bill's Sydney Food (Murdoch Books, 2000) which included information about the food in his restaurants. That book was followed by Bill's Food (2002), Bill's Open Kitchen (2003) and Simply Bill (2005) and Bill Granger Every Day (2006) and Bill's Basic's (2010) and Bill's Everyday Asian (2011) and Bill Granger Easy(2012)
In 2004 the six part series Bill's Food followed Granger for a week. It was well received in Australia and was subsequently screened on BBC2 in the United Kingdom, in 2005, drawing an audience of 2 million. The series was repeated on BBC1 and was shown in 22 other countries. In June 2006, Granger appeared on GMTV to present a week-long barbecue special filmed in the South of France. A second series of Bill's Food was aired on various networks. Granger is featured on a fortnightly segment on ABC Radio 702 with Richard Glover. Each week he discussed a recipe. He appeared cooking tasty 'Roast Dinner with Pancetta' on Wednesday 16 February 2011.
In 2011 Bill Granger became the Independent on Sunday's weekly food columnist.
A ten part television series bringing Bill's globally-inspired food to West London- Bill’s Kitchen: Notting Hill- aired from June 2013 on BBC Lifestyle in Poland, South Africa, Asia, the Middle East and the Nordic Region, on BBC HD in EMEA and LatAm and on BBC Entertainment in Latin America.
- "Sydney Food", Murdoch Books, (ISBN 0864119917, 2000)
- "Bills Food", Murdoch Books, (ISBN 978-1740450850, 2002)
- "Open Kitchen", Murdoch Books, (ISBN 978-1740452267, 2003)
- "Simply Bill", Murdoch Books, (ISBN 1-74045-363-8, 2005)
- "Everyday", Murdoch Books, (ISBN 1921259744, 2006)
- "Holiday", Murdoch Books, (ISBN 978-1741965025, 2009)
- "Feed Me Now", Quadrille,(ISBN 978-1-84400-706-6, 2009)
- "Bill's Basics",Quadrille,(ISBN 978-1-84400-843-8, 2010)
- "Bill's Everyday Asian",Quadrille,(ISBN 978-1-84400-978-7, 2011)
- "Bill Granger Easy",Collins,(ISBN 978-0007478224, 2012)
- BBC Food Profile - Chef Profile
- Good Food Profile - Chef Profile
- Surry Hills November/ December 2011 Afar page 77
- Granger & Co
- Gourmet Traveller
- The Independent
- BBC Entertainment
- Bill's beach wedding - The Daily Telegraph, 14 Oct 2006