October 15, 1927|
|Died: April 11, 2014
Round Rock, Texas
|April 17, 1952 for the Boston Red Sox|
Last MLB appearance
|June 16, 1969 for the Houston Astros|
|Earned run average||3.26|
Career highlights and awards
William Rodman Henry (October 15, 1927 – April 11, 2014) was an American professional baseball player. A left-handed pitcher, he appeared in Major League Baseball between 1952 and 1969 for the Boston Red Sox, Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati Reds, San Francisco Giants, Pittsburgh Pirates, and Houston Astros. He was nicknamed "Gabby" by teammates for his quiet nature.
After playing college baseball for the Houston Cougars, he began his career for the Red Sox in 1952, and was primarily a starter for the team. Henry was the first from the University of Houston's baseball history to make it to the Major League. After a two-year absence from the Major Leagues, he returned to MLB as a relief pitcher for the Cubs in 1958. He would only make 2 starts the rest of his career.
Henry was released by the Houston Astros on June 28, 1969, ending his Major League career.
Henry was a victim of identity theft and his death was erroneously reported in August 2007 in a news story that was widely circulated. He was contacted by baseball historian David Allen Lambert who first reported his false death report to him. He resided in Deer Park, Texas, near Houston. Bill Henry's story appeared in Sports Illustrated Magazine in Rick Reilly's Life of Reilly column entitled "The Passing of a Counterfeit Bill" (September 24, 2007, p. 76).
- Spink, C.C. Johnson, pub., The 1965 Official Baseball Register. St. Louis: The Sporting News, 1965, page 234
- "Bill Henry Statistics - Baseball-Reference.com". Archived from the original on 29 April 2007. Retrieved 2007-06-02.
- "Untimely death". Archived from the original on 14 October 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-04.
- MyFox Houston, Houstonian, Former MLB Pitcher Bill Henry Still Alive, 2007-09-05, retrieved 2007-09-06
- The Pasadena Citizen, Pasadena community loses a sports legend: Bill Henry dead at 86, 2014-04-16, retrieved 2014-04-22
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube
- Tampa Tribune - September 7, 2007
- Dallas Morning News - September 15, 2007
- Houston Chronicle - September 5, 2007
- Lakeland Ledger - September 5, 2007
- Bill Henry at Baseball Almanac
- Pasadena Citizen - April 14, 2014
- Pasadena Independent School District - April 16, 2014